• The KillerFrogs

Interesting realignment article.....

Portland Frog

"There are some interesting possibilities out there for Texas outside the Big 12, and wherever they go, they’ll still have LHN in some form (as that contract isn’t tied to the conference). One option is for the Longhorns to go independent in football a la Notre Dame, and they’re perhaps well set up to do so; with LHN already somewhat established, they could put their top-tier rights there in return for a massive boost in rights fees (which ESPN would probably jump at, as compelling games would let them raise the LHN price while also expanding its carriage and audience). Another is them heading to the Big Ten or the ACC, but the Big Ten would carry some challenges given its well-established conference network (owned by Fox and the conference) and its current rights split between Fox and ESPN."

I just assumed the LHN was DOA with the BIG, ACC or anyone else with a conference network.

Eight

"There are some interesting possibilities out there for Texas outside the Big 12, and wherever they go, they’ll still have LHN in some form (as that contract isn’t tied to the conference). One option is for the Longhorns to go independent in football a la Notre Dame, and they’re perhaps well set up to do so; with LHN already somewhat established, they could put their top-tier rights there in return for a massive boost in rights fees (which ESPN would probably jump at, as compelling games would let them raise the LHN price while also expanding its carriage and audience). Another is them heading to the Big Ten or the ACC, but the Big Ten would carry some challenges given its well-established conference network (owned by Fox and the conference) and its current rights split between Fox and ESPN."

I just assumed the LHN was DOA with the BIG, ACC or anyone else with a conference network.

i don't see texas going independent simply because notre dame is not a true independent.

the only independent sport program at nd is football. all their other sports are in a conference and the only reason why nd was allowed to park their other sports was in hope that when nd makes the move to a conference they come to the acc.

i can't see any conference allowing texas to park their other sports in their conference and miss out on the biggest money maker texas has to offer any conference.

TCUdirtbag

i don't see texas going independent simply because notre dame is not a true independent.

the only independent sport program at nd is football. all their other sports are in a conference and the only reason why nd was allowed to park their other sports was in hope that when nd makes the move to a conference they come to the acc.

i can't see any conference allowing texas to park their other sports in their conference and miss out on the biggest money maker texas has to offer any conference.

IMO Notre Dame is more likely to jump into the ACC as a full member than UT is to go independent. I can see the other 9 Big 12 members absolutely refusing to let UT keep other sports in while pulling football out. But then I would expect a conference looking to poach some new members to accept UT to lock them in and watch the league collapse.

The LHN is not making money. Interesting to see this formerly-dead realignment story like pop back up given all the landscape changes since it was first popularized circa 2009-2015.

BABYFACE

ACC and Big 10 is full. Pac 12 has room but so does the Big 12. Big 12 makes more money than PAC or ACC. If there is a fear of poaching, it should be the PAC or the ACC worrying about the Big 12 poaching imo.

There always seems to be a few Longhorn fans or Raiders that want to jump to another conference because their team cannot win the Big 12. Somehow in their minds by jumping to another conference makes there team championship caliber again. However, UT is trending the right direction in FB maybe wins the Big 12 next season.

FrogLifeYo

I’m in the camp that believes UT and ND are secretly pining away to get in bed together and start their own conference..I actually think this could happen

Eight

ACC and Big 10 is full. Pac 12 has room but so does the Big 12. Big 12 makes more money than PAC or ACC. If there is a fear of poaching, it should be the PAC or the ACC worrying about the Big 12 poaching imo.

There always seems to be a few Longhorn fans or Raiders that want to jump to another conference because their team cannot win the Big 12. Somehow in their minds by jumping to another conference makes there team championship caliber again. However, UT is trending the right direction in FB maybe wins the Big 12 next season.

could care less what the raiders do, but texas is the key.

best thing for the future of the conference in my mind is the cfp expand to 8-teams and each conference champ get an auto bid

Brog

I’m in the camp that believes UT and ND are secretly pining away to get in bed together and start their own conference..I actually think this could happen

Well, even if it might ruin my reputation, I'd be willing to jump into bed with them.

Nick Danger

My guess is Gonzaga doesn't concern itself with "travel costs" too much if they're willing to travel half way across the country to Frisco, Texas for a scrimmage! But I am curious as to why Gonzaga hasn't already aligned itself with its' PAC-12 suitors, which would seem to be a more plausible choice.

Last edited:

hometown frog

My guess is Gonzaga doesn't concern itself with "travel costs" too much if they're willing to travel half way across the country to Frisco, Texas for a scrimmage! But I am curious as to why Gonzaga hasn't already aligned itself with its' PAC-12 suitors, which would seem to be a more plausible choice.
I’m gonna guess that was more PAC doing than Zags’ doing. Up until USC and UCLA announced they were bolting to B1G, there was no drive for the PAC to add ANYONE. Suddenly those dynamics have changed and I’m guessing Big XII is proactively walking off PAC options to help squeeze UA/ASU/CU/UU to jump over.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
The real possibility UT goes independent will more likely come about because pretty soon no one will want to be associated with those entitled twaats.

Limey Frog

I’m gonna guess that was more PAC doing than Zags’ doing. Up until USC and UCLA announced they were bolting to B1G, there was no drive for the PAC to add ANYONE. Suddenly those dynamics have changed and I’m guessing Big XII is proactively walking off PAC options to help squeeze UA/ASU/CU/UU to jump over.
I don't think anyone is leaving the Pac for the Big 12 unless and until Oregon and Washington goo to the Big Ten, which they're not going to right now.

If this Gonzaga move happens, I think it's to strengthen the conference's position in basketball and to keep pressure on the Pac so that if Oregon bails after expiration of a five year TV rights deal the left-behind schools' move is obvious.

Eight

I don't think anyone is leaving the Pac for the Big 12 unless and until Oregon and Washington goo to the Big Ten, which they're not going to right now.

If this Gonzaga move happens, I think it's to strengthen the conference's position in basketball and to keep pressure on the Pac so that if Oregon bails after expiration of a five year TV rights deal the left-behind schools' move is obvious.

curious, why would gonzaga coming to the big 12 lure az, as st, utah, and cu to the big 12 when you already have a very strong basketball conference in place wo the zags

Limey Frog

curious, why would gonzaga coming to the big 12 lure az, as st, utah, and cu to the big 12 when you already have a very strong basketball conference in place wo the zags

I don't think it will. I'm guessing that, if the logic in favor of this move has anything to do with the Pac 12--and it may well not--it would be a matter of taking options off the board that might stabilize that conference enough to keep schools in it after Oregon leaves: schools that would otherwise join the Big 12. I'm thinking here of the Big 12 having proved just how much the right additions can change the long-term viability of a conference, even when it looks 'down and out'. (Not saying that Gonzaga does that for the Pac, but maybe they could be one piece of a bigger plan to do so.)

(And I say "when Oregon leaves" because unless they do all of this is completely irrelevant; no one is leaving a Pac N that includes Oregon to join the Big 12.)