• The KillerFrogs

In case you missed Jason Phillips’s Tweet

frog-hat

NFL teams aren't drafting kids out of high school. They'd get obliterated in the NFL and by the time they'd be ready to contribute, they'd be free agents. I'm sure some one or two years players would jump, but football is a different animal than other sports. Simply need time to develop physically and NFL rosters are way too small to stow away a bunch of development projects.
Then why does the NFL consider this issue , which should be unimportant, essential in their NFLPA contract. Because they like their “free” farm system. I think there are a couple of players off the top college teams recruits that would be NFL draft picks every year probably more.

JwP

I’d love for there to be a solution to this and I wouldn’t care if it involved paying kids some amount of money but I just don’t see any way that’s achieved in a fair way that maintains college football in any form that comes close to resembling what it is now. I’ve got no interest in some version of it where there are like 30-40 big state schools left (if not less) and the rest of us are playing in some glorified D2 set up. And even within that structure there would still be cheating.

The only way the cheating ever gets addressed if the some enforcement agency actually starts investigating and punishing the schools that do it on a consistent basis. And not just the SMUs of the world. Someone like Bama or UT would need to go down too.
100% correct and the only way to start a dialogue that would lead to that type of solution is by calling out all of the programs that constantly break the rules now but I guess according to some people on here you better not say anything unless you have rock solid proof or you might make somebody mad and heaven for bid we make the guys that are corrupt as hell and ruing the game mad bc we called out their misbehavior, that would just be terrible wouldn't it. Until real men call out the coaches who constantly break the rules instead of being scared of making someone mad or being scared of not being able to get a job, which means they would rather allow them to cheat so they might get a job instead of being good coaches who work hard and do things right and get jobs based on their ability to coach good football instead of being able to maneuver around the rules because in truth they couldn't coach their way out of a paper bag.

JwP

If paying for players is the solution, why not just do away with College Football altogether? What you're advocating is essentially a competing entity to the NFL, and a scenario that would utterly destroy what we know as College Football and replace it with a free-for-all.

Rather than destroy what is there, would it not be better to reform and enforce what rules there are?
I completely agree but whats the alternative have the same 5-7 teams in the CFP every year?

HFrog1999

If you know of someone receiving money under the table to play football for a rival school.

Don't call the NCAA.

Call the IRS.

tumblr_lu5176XX7g1qjko1ao1_500.jpg

JwP

Throw players, parents, “uncles”, coaches in jail for tax evasion and money laundering
Again that would mean that grown men would have to act like grown men and hold those accountable who do cheat and in the coaching world that won't happen bc most college coaches are too worried about kissing somebody's ass so they can get a job instead of doing things right and coaching with integrity.

Ron Swanson

I’d love for there to be a solution to this and I wouldn’t care if it involved paying kids some amount of money but I just don’t see any way that’s achieved in a fair way that maintains college football in any form that comes close to resembling what it is now. I’ve got no interest in some version of it where there are like 30-40 big state schools left (if not less) and the rest of us are playing in some glorified D2 set up. And even within that structure there would still be cheating.

The only way the cheating ever gets addressed if the some enforcement agency actually starts investigating and punishing the schools that do it on a consistent basis. And not just the SMUs of the world. Someone like Bama or UT would need to go down too.
00F38BAA-FDFD-4485-BEC8-C961CFD87564.jpeg

frog-hat

Make the NFL pay for them by opening up the draft age and expanding the practice squad roster by 5 per team.

JwP

This is a hypo, because I'm dumb and don't know the answer:
Could a big time attorney be hired to go up against this corruption?
If so, and enough people care, maybe a fund could be founded to pay for his services.
I know I'm nowhere near a super smart guy but did you just get personal and call me dumb or did I miss read that. Not mad just wondering bc I don't know who you are so its irrelevant but two undergrad degrees a masters and owning a successful construction company might change that opinion but if that wasn't what you were saying then disregard this post and to your question you could hire a attorney but he would run into the same problems the NCAA runs into and wouldn't be able to find a paper trail to prove it, that's what compliance is for but like I said earlier multiple sources have told me that Saban literally told his compliance people if they come to his side of campus they would get canned immediately

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I completely agree but whats the alternative have the same 5-7 teams in the CFP every year?
Like I said in the last sentence, and as Moose said up-thread, enforce the rules. The reason the rampant cheating flourishes is that the worst perps know they will never be punished. Thus, the Usual Suspects will flow to the top 8 times out of 10.

Moose Stuff

I know I'm nowhere near a super smart guy but did you just get personal and call me dumb or did I miss read that. Not mad just wondering bc I don't know who you are so its irrelevant but two undergrad degrees a masters and owning a successful construction company might change that opinion but if that wasn't what you were saying then disregard this post and to your question you could hire a attorney but he would run into the same problems the NCAA runs into and wouldn't be able to find a paper trail to prove it, that's what compliance is for but like I said earlier multiple sources have told me that Saban literally told his compliance people if they come to his side of campus they would get canned immediately

He was calling himself dumb.

notyalc

I'm not really for paying players, but maybe the more exceptional college athletes would qualify for a higher pay level to be paid upon graduation. And that means they have to actually get a degree.

That way there is greater attention to academics and proper behavior as a teammate and an individual.

Wexahu

I'm not really for paying players, but maybe the more exceptional college athletes would qualify for a higher pay level to be paid upon graduation. And that means they have to actually get a degree.

That way there is greater attention to academics and proper behavior as a teammate and an individual.

They already do qualify. It’s called professional sports. Like the NFL.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
They already do qualify. It’s called professional sports. Like the NFL.

If I'm reading him correctly, he means at the NFL level. A "graduation bonus" so to speak. Or maybe more like a non-graduation tax due each season to the league until remedied.

I think it's a good idea.

froghair

in the not too distant future, I really wouldn't be surprised to see that the FBI has been investigating NCAA football as they did basketball. I know a few heads rolled, but I haven't noticed any real longterm changes from that.