• The KillerFrogs

In case you missed Jason Phillips’s Tweet

Wexahu

That's a possible solution and the push back on that is how do you pay them all the same and the answer is you shouldn't. Call it there first lesson in capitalism, but its no different than how coaches get compensated. if you good enough to go to Alabama then you should get paid more than someone who goes to North Texas, people who work at really good law firms make a substantial amount more than people who work at smaller less prominent law firms so I don't see the difference in a kid who plays at Bama and a kid who plays at Tulsa.

The beginning of the end of college football.

It's ironic that the solution you suggest is exactly the same thing you are complaining about. You just want to make all the payments legal I guess. What is that going to change in the end?

Moose Stuff

Yea but the key is they are paying them after they have signed not paying them to sign to that school.

What’s the difference? They’re still gonna choose the same school because they know they’re gonna get paid more. Now, later, whenever.....

JwP

So Bama will get to pay the most, Clemson the second most, Notre Dame the 3rd most...... and we’ve still got the same 10-15 teams you mentioned above dominating every year.

I see no solution to the issue. No matter what you do someone will always cheat.
They should pay the players how ever much that school can afford to pay, obviously the major programs will pay there guys more but their players are also usually better football players, again it basically goes back to the free market concept if you are the best football player then you should get paid like it and not get paid the same as a player at a smaller less significant school. If you had to go to the doctor for a procedure would you pay more for the best doctor or take your chances with a sub par doctor bc he is cheaper. The better the football player the more they should make (if they are going to pay players)

JwP

The beginning of the end of college football.

It's ironic that the solution you suggest is exactly the same thing you are complaining about. You just want to make all the payments legal I guess. What is that going to change in the end?
No I'm saying IF they pay players that's how it should be done AFTER they pick their college so it takes the money out of the recruiting process and yea money will be a factor but at least its on the books and they are paid for services and not just to sign with the school.

Moose Stuff

They should pay the players how ever much that school can afford to pay, obviously the major programs will pay there guys more but their players are also usually better football players, again it basically goes back to the free market concept if you are the best football player then you should get paid like it and not get paid the same as a player at a smaller less significant school. If you had to go to the doctor for a procedure would you pay more for the best doctor or take your chances with a sub par doctor bc he is cheaper. The better the football player the more they should make (if they are going to pay players)

That’s when I bow out of being a college football fan (and also when TCU bows out of being relevant).

Wexahu

College football isn't, shouldn't be, and can't be a free market system and survive as an entity that even remotely resembles what it does now. If 18-20 year old football players want to get paid, start a pro league for players otherwise not eligible for the NFL. See how much people are willing to pay to support that product.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
If paying for players is the solution, why not just do away with College Football altogether? What you're advocating is essentially a competing entity to the NFL, and a scenario that would utterly destroy what we know as College Football and replace it with a free-for-all.

Rather than destroy what is there, would it not be better to reform and enforce what rules there are?

Moose Stuff

No I'm saying IF they pay players that's how it should be done AFTER they pick their college so it takes the money out of the recruiting process and yea money will be a factor but at least its on the books and they are paid for services and not just to sign with the school.

That isn’t gonna take the money out of the recruiting process. Again, someone will ALWAYS cheat.

Wexahu

C'mon man. If they players know they are going to make X by signing with a certain school or X+Y by signing with another, what difference does it make whether they are paid during the recruiting process or after.

Can't legalize paying players, period. It'll end college football.

JwP

College football isn't, shouldn't be, and can't be a free market system and survive as an entity that even remotely resembles what it does now. If 18-20 year old football players want to get paid, start a pro league for players otherwise not eligible for the NFL. See how much people are willing to pay to support that product.
I agree with you 100% im just throwing what I have heard around the way over the past 5-10 years

Mean Purple

Agree

asharwell

How about pay for performance?
So much for a TD, so much for each tackle, so much for every yard, etc.

If you sit on the bench, you do not get paid. This could even it out a bit, but there will always be people paying on the side…

I give up. When is the next game?

frog-hat

The solution goes through the NFL players contract which Clarett tried to defeat. If the top players aren’t essentially forced to play in the college game for 3 years or sit out for 3 years by the NFL contract then the top schools would actually have real financial competition for the level of top recruits that go there.

MTfrog5

How about pay for performance?
So much for a TD, so much for each tackle, so much for every yard, etc.

If you sit on the bench, you do not get paid. This could even it out a bit, but there will always be people paying on the side…

I give up. When is the next game?
Some have ideas along those lines but it’s based on the players academic standing whether they are paid their stipend or not. But then you get into certain universities are harder than others and classes players are taking

Wexahu

The solution goes through the NFL players contract which Clarett tried to defeat. If the top players aren’t essentially forced to play in the college game for 3 years or sit out for 3 years by the NFL contract then the top schools would actually have real financial competition for the level of top recruits that go there.

NFL teams aren't drafting kids out of high school. They'd get obliterated in the NFL and by the time they'd be ready to contribute, they'd be free agents. I'm sure some one or two years players would jump, but football is a different animal than other sports. Simply need time to develop physically and NFL rosters are way too small to stow away a bunch of development projects.

Moose Stuff

I’d love for there to be a solution to this and I wouldn’t care if it involved paying kids some amount of money but I just don’t see any way that’s achieved in a fair way that maintains college football in any form that comes close to resembling what it is now. I’ve got no interest in some version of it where there are like 30-40 big state schools left (if not less) and the rest of us are playing in some glorified D2 set up. And even within that structure there would still be cheating.

The only way the cheating ever gets addressed if the some enforcement agency actually starts investigating and punishing the schools that do it on a consistent basis. And not just the SMUs of the world. Someone like Bama or UT would need to go down too.