• The KillerFrogs

Important Article re: PAC12

FrogCop19

Read it all but especially his opening answer… yikes. He is saying the quiet part out loud.
"I think there are some overarching issues that are kind of beyond our control that contributed, and I don’t mean this as an excuse for the on-field performance. But I do think..."

*commences to provide 9 paragraphs of excuses*

bronco

It seems like now is a great time for someone to come in and completely overhaul college football and usher in an expanded play off era. Throw out all the old way of thinking and move them into the 21st Century much like Jerry Jones did with the NFL. I feel like at the school level ADs and marketing departments are reshaping game day. TCU is a great example. It seems like everything is for sale (I don't like it but it probably won't change). I am convinced Frog Alley was moved so that the Kelly Lawn could be sold to the highest bidder.

The old Bowl cronies need to be kicked to the curb and the playoffs be run in away that benefits college football the most.

JogginFrog

The scheduling bit was interesting. I get his interest in dropping down to 8 conference games to get more OOC exposure, his interest in freeing up games scheduled with BYU, and wanting to further develop the Big Ten alliance. But his desire to see scheduled games against the SEC freed up makes less sense from a media perspective. He says he wants the PAC to have broader national recruiting, but what he means is that the PAC can win recruiting battles for kids in the Midwest/North but not in the South. He's willing to sacrifice some eyeballs to freeze out the SEC in hopes of reducing the drain on west-coast talent.

Wexahu

It seems like now is a great time for someone to come in and completely overhaul college football and usher in an expanded play off era. Throw out all the old way of thinking and move them into the 21st Century much like Jerry Jones did with the NFL. I feel like at the school level ADs and marketing departments are reshaping game day. TCU is a great example. It seems like everything is for sale (I don't like it but it probably won't change). I am convinced Frog Alley was moved so that the Kelly Lawn could be sold to the highest bidder.

The old Bowl cronies need to be kicked to the curb and the playoffs be run in away that benefits college football the most.
It is time for that but in all honesty I don't think there is much of a solution, one that people are going to like anyway.

As long as most all of the elite level talent is going to only 10-15 schools (which it ALWAYS has) and the remaining 50 P5 schools and 65 G5 schools get everyone else it's gonna be nothing like the NFL. Expanding the playoffs is going to do next to nothing in fixing what the problems are. Might even make them worse.

Brog

Would be interested in a little more on your theory about Frog Alley having been moved and sold to the highest bidder. Do you have any more information your sources (?) would permit you to share with us?

bronco

It is time for that but in all honesty I don't think there is much of a solution, one that people are going to like anyway.

As long as most all of the elite level talent is going to only 10-15 schools (which it ALWAYS has) and the remaining 50 P5 schools and 65 G5 schools get everyone else it's gonna be nothing like the NFL. Expanding the playoffs is going to do next to nothing in fixing what the problems are. Might even make them worse.
I think the reason to expand, as mentioned in the article, is inventory. More meaningful games. In the long run the blue bloods will still end up in the Championship Game but more teams will have a chance (whether real or imagined)

hiphopfroggy

Interesting that he said he wanted to expand the Pac's recruiting territory and was looking forward to the Pac schools dropping to 8 conference games and having a scheduling arrangement with the B1G and ACC.

bronco

Would be interested in a little more on your theory about Frog Alley having been moved and sold to the highest bidder. Do you have any more information your sources (?) would permit you to share with us?
I don't. It is a gut feeling. Frog Alley was great where it was. This year it (Kelly Lawn) remained relatively empty. Cal had a small alumni event, there was an event hosted by Pepsi and the Frog Club Appreciation Event. Maybe Homecoming? I don't remember. Frog Alley has been minimalized. No bands, very few things for kids just a big let down. It is just weird to see it empty in the other weeks.

Wexahu

I think the reason to expand, as mentioned in the article, is inventory. More meaningful games. In the long run the blue bloods will still end up in the Championship Game but more teams will have a chance (whether real or imagined)
That's the theory. I'm just not sure it's gonna work real well in practice.

Froggish

Read it all but especially his opening answer… yikes. He is saying the quiet part out loud.
He used the term expansion several times....He also stated a whole lot of reasons why it might not be in TCU's best interest to be a part of that expansion.

Also...I've said it until I'm blue in the face but 9 conference game schedules have negatively impacted TCU and the B12. The difference is always 1 more win. We play 2 lower tier programs and 1 P5 every year....SEC does the same thing except that 4th OC game is always a G5. If we had followed that model we would have never missed a bowl game in 2019 or 2021. To further that point, the whole league suffers a perception problem that is at least impart because the teams are perceived to be weaker as a result of "beating each other up". That perception takes a major hit when you add an additional win to everyone's record. 8-4 football teams become 9-3 / 10-2 often become 11-1...It makes a difference that clearly favors 8 game leagues like the SEC.

Last edited:

FinanceFrog

"I think there are some overarching issues that are kind of beyond our control that contributed, and I don’t mean this as an excuse for the on-field performance. But I do think..."

*commences to provide 9 paragraphs of excuses*

it’s like that one uncle that starts off the the thanksgiving dinner by saying - ‘I don’t mean to be racist, but….’

LisaLT

I'm confused about ZE. He is officially "in the portal" right? But there is still a chance he might stay? At what point does Sonny Dykes do a Bruce Arians and say goodbye? Am I interpreting this all wrong? Has he been offered $$ here?

froginmn

I'm confused about ZE. He is officially "in the portal" right? But there is still a chance he might stay? At what point does Sonny Dykes do a Bruce Arians and say goodbye? Am I interpreting this all wrong? Has he been offered $$ here?
Generally speaking players enter the portal to either transfer or to explore options. There is no requirement to leave. And players can't talk to other schools (or maybe more accurately, schools can't talk to them) unless they are in the portal.

While it's a little off-putting, it's not different from any of us interviewing for another job while remaining on the payroll of our current employer.

FrogCop19

Generally speaking players enter the portal to either transfer or to explore options. There is no requirement to leave. And players can't talk to other schools (or maybe more accurately, schools can't talk to them) unless they are in the portal.

While it's a little off-putting, it's not different from any of us interviewing for another job while remaining on the payroll of our current employer.
No kidding.. ask tosu what it's like to have someone on the payroll and have them leave...