• The KillerFrogs

Ian Boyd game analysis

jake102

I'd be real curious to see the "all 22" film for the two long Chuba TD runs. Interested to know where the safeties were on those plays

LVH

I'd be real curious to see the "all 22" film for the two long Chuba TD runs. Interested to know where the safeties were on those plays

On the 92 yard run there were no high safeties. All of them were rather close to the line playing man coverage. The writer of the article accurately pointed out that it was on Blackshear to make the stop and he was in complete no mans land standing there like he had no idea what he was doing. This put Wallow in a bad position and while I think Wallow got held, chances are he doesn't make the play even if he did get held.

The second long run we had both of our corners covering the trips and we blitzed the safety on the right side. This time it was Mathis playing the role of no mans land just standing there like he had no idea what he was doing, allowing the back to easily run by him putting all the pressure on Wallow to make the play, who got sucked into the wrong lane taking him out of the cutback lane and he never had a chance.

MTfrog5

On the 92 yard run there were no high safeties. All of them were rather close to the line playing man coverage. The writer of the article accurately pointed out that it was on Blackshear to make the stop and he was in complete no mans land standing there like he had no idea what he was doing. This put Wallow in a bad position and while I think Wallow got held, chances are he doesn't make the play even if he did get held.

The second long run we had both of our corners covering the trips and we blitzed the safety on the right side. This time it was Mathis playing the role of no mans land just standing there like he had no idea what he was doing, allowing the back to easily run by him putting all the pressure on Wallow to make the play, who got sucked into the wrong lane taking him out of the cutback lane and he never had a chance.
If you think Wallow was held, watch Blacklock when the double team starts to come off. The RG I believe has his left arm fully extended holding Blacklock right chest/underarm area of the shoulder pad. Text book hold.

froggolf65

On the 92 yd run Gaines was on the bench hobbled from previous drive and Bradford was playing his spot. Gaines probably would not have made the play but doesn't help to have another Fr in the game.

Moose Stuff

I don’t know jack [ Finebaum ] about coaching defense but it seems like a bad idea to make a DE responsible for Hubbard. Especially OUR DEs.

Planks

One of my big take always from the Oklahoma state game is that our defense needs to do a better job of bending so that it doesn’t break. So many of Oklahoma states touchdowns were big plays. We needed more safeties deep.

In today’s game offenses are going to move the ball, so at least make them work for it. Make the offense drive down the field in 10 plays rather than 1. Make them go 10 plays without a turnover, dropped pass, or drive killing penalty. And even if they make it all the way to the red zone, the offense will now be limited with a shortened field. If you can hold them to a field goal that’s a win, and there is still a 20-25% chance they miss it.

Let the opposing offense drive up and down the field all day, and then take your chances on stopping them in the red zone. But never give up long touchdowns. Make them work for it.

Eight

start of the year the concern defensively was that the frogs were starting unknowns at linebacker and defensive end.

quite frankly the frogs just didn't have any experience at these two positions and this was something that has been coming for quite some time.

the response by some was gary always finds a way to put a quality defense on the field and yet we continue to see the very same problems again and again this year.

the offense is bad to a bit above average and you simply can't be -3 in turnovers.

none of that explains though how this defense has gotten to a point that the four best defensive ends they have to put on the field are a red-shirt freshman, a grad transfer who basically didn't play for over 2+ years, a true freshman who wasn't in school last year, and a juco de/olb.

linebacker is similar. the most experienced guy came into this year with less than 1 year played at linebacker, a true freshman who moved to linebacker this year, a true linebacker, and a player coming off an injury who wasn't given much play time the year before.

Last edited:

matmoo123

How many dudes from this defense would start on our 2009, 2010, 2014 defenses? Blacklock.... Some of this feels like a talent issue.

Wexahu

One of my big take always from the Oklahoma state game is that our defense needs to do a better job of bending so that it doesn’t break. So many of Oklahoma states touchdowns were big plays. We needed more safeties deep.

In today’s game offenses are going to move the ball, so at least make them work for it. Make the offense drive down the field in 10 plays rather than 1. Make them go 10 plays without a turnover, dropped pass, or drive killing penalty. And even if they make it all the way to the red zone, the offense will now be limited with a shortened field. If you can hold them to a field goal that’s a win, and there is still a 20-25% chance they miss it.

Let the opposing offense drive up and down the field all day, and then take your chances on stopping them in the red zone. But never give up long touchdowns. Make them work for it.

That’s exactly how teams are playing us. 5 and 6 man fronts just daring us to run the ball, and we either aren’t successful doing it or don’t have the patience to stick with it, or both. I’d play zone almost exclusively, especially against young QBs who are a threat running the ball.

TooColdU

I don’t know jack [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] about coaching defense but it seems like a bad idea to make a DE responsible for Hubbard. Especially OUR DEs.

EEC3A3BE-E7EA-424A-A9CF-321A7A7983FA.jpeg
B100CFA5-439C-4965-BCEE-2178F2281E8B.jpeg
8424FC7E-9BB9-4DCD-A2E2-8F1D2C3C23B0.jpeg

This was the 62-yard TD.
  • Colt Ellison is being taken for a ride to the opposite end zone.
  • Washington is regretting the coach’s decision to blitz.
  • Despite the possible hold, Big Ross got pushed way outside of the hashmark near the down & distance graphic with the center chipping like it was designed. Thus it was a hard play for him since he had to fight back inside. To his credit he almost makes it.
  • Mathis was unblocked yet completely whiffs on Hubbard.
  • Ben Wilson needs to shed his block and Wallow is stuck in no man’s land.

Last edited: