• The KillerFrogs

I smiled when Herbstreit talked about TCU injuries.

Limp Lizard

He said TCU may have the most injuries of any team in the country.:eek:

HUH? This has been pretty average for us, we definitely have seen worse recently. And we hear that everybody has injuries just like us. Bull. Gary says we would be so much better if we just got our best players back. Of course that could just be a recording of him that is replayed every year, week after week.

No way the good teams have the injuries we have had early in the season year after year. Every year I mention this on the Forum and get put down. Every year we have a very young team. That IMO is where things are going wrong. Face it, we are among the most injured teams in the country year after year after year. Some blame strength and conditioning, some blame youth(GP's favorite), some blame Gary's workouts. I wonder about training...just how inbred is our training staff? Numerous injuries happen to men's basketball, too. Are our injury methods up-to-date?

The key to a good season for this team is cutting injuries to national average at most. That would be considered a lucky year for us nowadays.

Just please don't say everyone has as many injuries as we do.

froginaustin

Does the football program still have that "night of champions" or whatever it was called, that is essentially a weight-lifting contest making "champions" of those that can lift the mostest poundage?

ED: I have no idea how inadequate flexibility (if that's a part of the problem) would make players break bones in feet, or break other bones for that matter.

2themax

Frogs do have depth at certain positions.
OU rolled their big guys on both sides of the ball and TCU defensive front took a beating.
They were gassed by the end of the 1st quarter.

jack the frog

I'm old enough to remember when Gary said it would take a few years to recruit depth in the conference.

There are folks around here that said Gary stopped recruiting the big beef and focused more on skinny in the butt players because he thought he was going to be chasing Briles around for 15 years. If true maybe we never dug out of that hole. I know we have carried 4 or more WR’s than some others teams in the past as we tried to find someone who could catch a football. Maybe those things depleted interior depth, I don’t know.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
There are folks around here that said Gary stopped recruiting the big beef and focused more on skinny in the butt players because he thought he was going to be chasing Briles around for 15 years. If true maybe we never dug out of that hole. I know we have carried 4 or more WR’s than some others teams in the past as we tried to find someone who could catch a football. Maybe those things depleted interior depth, I don’t know.
Once upon a time, we had competent player/recruit evaluators. These people figured out who could catch, run, and chew gum all at the same time. Now, we don't have those guys anymore. We have guys who read Dave Campbell's Texas Football and rely on their crack staff of journalists to tell them who is good and who isn't. "Their potential is measured in the stars..."

Nah we went much bigger post 2016, he recognized and started going +290lbs in the middle. Now developing and playing the big guys is something else. Cooper is huge, have you seen that guys calves. He calves are the same size has his legs. Yet overall he didn’t gain weight in all the other places

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
Does the football program still have that "night of champions" or whatever it was called, that is essentially a weight-lifting contest making "champions" of those that can lift the mostest poundage?

ED: I have no idea how inadequate flexibility (if that's a part of the problem) would make players break bones in feet, or break other bones for that matter.
The staff is stuck in 2005, things have changed and this is a glaring example.

bbell

I studied strength and conditioning and am a certified personal trainer. There is a definite problem with the strength and conditioning program design. Injury is the absolute worst thing that can happen to any person in a training regimen. This is happening too frequently at TCU. Especially given the fact that the facilities there are some of the best in the country for recovery.

Lifting records and size don’t matter if they can’t stay on the field healthy. Emphasis on mobility and core strength is probably overlooked and the importance of a well balanced strength and conditioning program as a whole toward a successful sports program.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I studied strength and conditioning and am a certified personal trainer. There is a definite problem with the strength and conditioning program design. Injury is the absolute worst thing that can happen to any person in a training regimen. This is happening too frequently at TCU. Especially given the fact that the facilities there are some of the best in the country for recovery.

Lifting records and size don’t matter if they can’t stay on the field healthy. Emphasis on mobility and core strength is probably overlooked and the importance of a well balanced strength and conditioning program as a whole toward a successful sports program.
This.

I tend to believe that the emphasis on "lifting" strength tends to make players more injury prone. If such training isn't leavened with plenty of stretching and mobility exercises, then the support structures just aren't ready for that kind of force.

bbell

This.

I tend to believe that the emphasis on "lifting" strength tends to make players more injury prone. If such training isn't leavened with plenty of stretching and mobility exercises, then the support structures just aren't ready for that kind of force.
Every body part has its breaking point, but mobility and flexibility go a long way to reduce that. The real issue is with overuse injuries in my opinion. Too many reps with not enough recovery, especially in season. Off season training is way different.

Every body part has its breaking point, but mobility and flexibility go a long way to reduce that. The real issue is with overuse injuries in my opinion. Too many reps with not enough recovery, especially in season. Off season training is way different.
And a lot of our NFL guys going to the combine have injuries, more then less. It’s an issue. I remember someone telling a sorry about meeting a WVU assistant coach on a flight. He said he loved playing TCU at the end of the season because we are usually more beat up. I don’t blame Sommers for bang up injuries but it feels like we have a lot of non contact injuries

LisaLT

I concur. That is how I injured my sciatic nerve.