• The KillerFrogs

I kinda miss the BCS.

HFrog1999

I miss the old Bowl System

DLKZ.gif

Wexahu

No - "everyone" is not saying that Oregon, who lost to an unranked Stanford, should be highly ranked. I'm certainly not. Not above Ohio State and certainly not above undefeated teams like Cincinnati or OU. Why do you think "everyone" is saying that? Similarly, in 2014, Baylor lost to West Virginia, who lost to TCU - TCU should have been ranked higher because their records weren't the same. No, I don't see what you mean - H2h is important but not necessarily dispositive.
Oh, I'm sorry. Everyone but you.

But no, TCU and Baylor had the same record in 2014 from the time the first CFP poll came out until the very last poll, in which Baylor jumped TCU. So I don't know where you got that.

Jared7

Oh, I'm sorry. Everyone but you.

But no, TCU and Baylor had the same record in 2014 from the time the first CFP poll came out until the very last poll, in which Baylor jumped TCU. So I don't know where you got that.
I got that by looking at the actual schedules and noticing that we played different OOC teams. You should try it. The records were not the same.

And I'm not the only one who thinks Oregon's L to Stanford means they should be ranked lower, as you well know.

Wexahu

I got that by looking at the actual schedules and noticing that we played different OOC teams. You should try it. The records were not the same.

And I'm not the only one who thinks Oregon's L to Stanford means they should be ranked lower, as you well know.
We were both 11-1. How are those not the same?

Wexahu

Because we played different teams to achieve that overall record. How can you not understand that?
Well, no [ Finebaum ]. No two teams play the exact same schedule. So I guess when two teams are 12-0 we should no longer say they have the same record unless they both play the exact same teams, even though that's what people have been doing since the beginning of sports. How are we supposed to do......"well, they have the same number of wins and losses, but their record isn't the same". Huh?

Odd that we were Big 12 co-champions with Baylor one year. I mean, we didn't have the same record so why were we considered co-champions?

Jared7

Well, no [ #2020 ]. No two teams play the exact same schedule. So I guess when two teams are 12-0 we should no longer say they have the same record unless they both play the exact same teams, even though that's what people have been doing since the beginning of sports. How are we supposed to do......"well, they have the same number of wins and losses, but their record isn't the same". Huh?

Odd that we were Big 12 co-champions with Baylor one year. I mean, we didn't have the same record so why were we considered co-champions?
Well, thank you for finally admitting the obvious. TCU's and Baylor's record, while,the same overall, varied because we didn't play the same teams OOC. TCU's SOS was stronger and our only L was to Baylor, not West Virginia. Since the beginning of sports, observers have made such analysis and it took you several responses to realize that. The reason SOS also matters is to analyze such differences in the schedules. That's the problem Cincinnati will ultimately have because their SOS will end up being weaker than other teams because they're in the AAC. But at this point in the season, Ohio State hasn't played Michigan or Michigan State (or whoever they might play in the Big 10 title game) and their best W is Penn State. And Oregon's overall schedule so far is also not markedly stronger than that of Cincinnati at this point. In my view, both Oregon and Ohio State are over-ranked because they have L's and they're overall SOS is not all that impressive as yet. Further, Oregon, despite the H2H W over the Buckeyes, should be ranked lower because they lost to an unranked Stanford.

Wexahu

Well, thank you for finally admitting the obvious. TCU's and Baylor's record, while,the same overall, varied because we didn't play the same teams OOC. TCU's SOS was stronger and our only L was to Baylor, not West Virginia. Since the beginning of sports, observers have made such analysis and it took you several responses to realize that. The reason SOS also matters is to analyze such differences in the schedules. That's the problem Cincinnati will ultimately have because their SOS will end up being weaker than other teams because they're in the AAC. But at this point in the season, Ohio State hasn't played Michigan or Michigan State (or whoever they might play in the Big 10 title game) and their best W is Penn State. And Oregon's overall schedule so far is also not markedly stronger than that of Cincinnati at this point. In my view, both Oregon and Ohio State are over-ranked because they have L's and they're overall SOS is not all that impressive as yet. Further, Oregon, despite the H2H W over the Buckeyes, should be ranked lower because they lost to an unranked Stanford.
I think you meant "resume" and not "record".

I actually don't disagree with most of what you say here. But 90% of people (not you apparently) will have a hissy fit if at the end of the year OSU and Oregon have the same record and OSU is a playoff team and Oregon is not.

And also to my point, "worst loss" is only one data point. There is also best loss, best win, overall SOS, HTH, point margins, etc etc. Generally (and again, I'm not saying this pointing at you), what fans do is only point to the factor that helps their team's argument, and ignores the others. So people move goalposts all the time. Would you not agree with that?

Pharm Frog

Y’all aren’t gonna have to worry about this stuff much longer. You really shouldn’t be worried about it now. You know what it is and why it is.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I do. Same principle applies with your initial post though too, right? Everyone seems to be jumping the gun on Cincy not being a Top 4 team with 5 weeks left in the season.
They are not going to jump Cincy over any of those teams, not even a potential two-loss Bama.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
If Cincy goes 12-0 and Alabama loses twice I’ll bet you $1,000 right now Cincy ends up ranked higher. That goes for anyone here.
Nope. That is why Bama is No. 2 so that if they lose to Georgia in the SEC title game they can count that as a high-quality loss and drop them no lower than 4. You know that is going to happen.

Wexahu

Nope. That is why Bama is No. 2 so that if they lose to Georgia in the SEC title game they can count that as a high-quality loss and drop them no lower than 4. You know that is going to happen.
If you know it’s gonna happen let’s just make a friendly bet. If Bama loses twice there’s no way they are a playoff team. I’ll make that bet if you prefer.

vicarfrog

FDOcFVhXsAUiaFC

For a 68-team tourney, a selection committee is fine, the room for error is more.

For football, its the dumbest thing about the sport besides the targeting penalty.

Bring back the computers I say.

I hate both. I hate the BCS a little less. Both are a sham and suffer from the same problem: They don't listen to the fans and they protect the status quo.

It's part of a bigger movement too. That's why GameDay is slipping and Big Noon and Barstool Sports are rising. They're listening to the fans.