• The KillerFrogs

I feel good!

JugbandFrog

Your tastebuds are meh! My wife said the same thing the first time we went and I swear she was off her rocker.

Seriously, though, Ernie might be the best brisket cook in Texas (of those who left competition to open a restaurant). Funny thing is, I thought the ribs were good but nothing to write home about. But then, I don’t judge Texas bbq on ribs. Brisket and sausage, really. I can’t speak to the wait as I’ve never had to wait there (humble brag), but I’ve been several times and have yet to not be thoroughly impressed with the food. Totally agree that his breakfast items are amazing. Desserts are special too.
The Big Red cake is to die for.

The brisket has great flavor and color on the outer layers, but every time I have been, the inner part of the brisket is dry and flavorless.

My favor brisket in all of Texas is Teddy’s BBQ in Weslaco, TX.

Frog-O-Rama

Mrs. Brewingfrog loves her some Beef Rib. That is her go-to item if she can get her hands on it (Well, if they don't have Prime Rib like Smitty's did on Friday). So far, for her, the Bronto Rib at Original Black's was far and away the best. The Pit Boss saw her Froggish gear and cut her the endcap rib, and it was just magnificent. Crusty bark on the outside, but tender and moist inside with monstrous flavor. She ate it slowly by just picking bites of meat off the titanic bone. When I could snake my hand in a get a bite (and a hand-slap in the process), it was wonderful.
View attachment 12440
Who did you get to sit in for the REAL Mrs. Brewingfrog? Hahahaha.

Moose Stuff

I have been three times. Their brisket is meh.

What they do well are the ribs. Not better than Angelo’s, but on par with my faves.

Their brisket huevos rancheros is excellent.

But definitely not worth the wait. Bring water and sunblock.
I just don’t get how people will wait in line like that for BBQ. I don’t care how good it is… if I’m gonna be in line for more than like 5 minutes I’m going somewhere else.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I just don’t get how people will wait in line like that for BBQ. I don’t care how good it is… if I’m gonna be in line for more than like 5 minutes I’m going somewhere else.
I generally don't do lines, either. What we try to do is hit places early so there is no line, and they have the items we want before the madding crowd arrives and eats them out of everything. Smitty's had prime rib "while it lasts" so getting there a little past 11am had us getting two rare slabs of fabulous beef.

Good grub has a certain calling, but as you say, it'll have to be damned enticing if I am going to stand in a line for it.