• The KillerFrogs

I am not Matt Jennings….

Froggish

Why would anyone, especially GP, care about what a random alumni thinks. That's like reading this message board. No intention to be objective he just doesn't like GP. He's a blogger...That's like recording a song on your i-phone and pretending you're a professional musician. The world is full of people who think much of themselves. Why help them out but playing along with their delusions.

Double D

Tier 1
In LHCGP I trust. Bump in the road. Ya'll don't remember the early 80s at TCU. Brutal. Blowout losses, no attendance it was bad. When things look bleak, I just remember those days and how far TCU has come. Once I do that, I feel pretty good. TCU fan base is spoiled.

Pharm Frog

In LHCGP I trust. Bump in the road. Ya'll don't remember the early 80s at TCU. Brutal. Blowout losses, no attendance it was bad. When things look bleak, I just remember those days and how far TCU has come. Once I do that, I feel pretty good. TCU fan base is spoiled.

Misplaced trust. But I admire in a way the position that it’s pretty good now because it’s not as horrid as it once was. All things relative, right?

Fiscuits

It's a big bump, been going on 5 out of last six years....how long does that bump have to get? I was right there with you in late 80's early 90's for a ton of losses (and good times I might add)...but sooner or later all good things come to an end.

Moose Stuff

I remember them. Just because things were once really bad doesn’t mean we should be content with mediocrity. That’s how you end up back at really bad again.

Putt4Purple

Much to the Chagrin of many posters it doesn't look or sound like there will be many changes coming soon as far as Coach Patterson era is concerned, he's not going anywhere. LOL.

FrogCoach84

Much to the Chagrin of many posters it doesn't look or sound like there will be many changes coming soon as far as Coach Patterson era is concerned, he's not going anywhere. LOL.
I want to live in the world where he stays and does some real self reflection.

Clean the whole damn staff out save maybe a couple. Actually give someone else the defensive reins because GP’s defense is trash. Bring in some real coaching talent!

In that world GP retires on a high note and his replacement is an in house guy (one of the new hires) that doesn’t skip a beat.

I don’t think that world will ever exist because I don’t think GP can Take a Step Back (see what I did there).

Which leaves the world where GP stays dug in and paranoid and this program craters and it’s too late to recover.

froginmn

I remember them. Just because things were once really bad doesn’t mean we should be content with mediocrity. That’s how you end up back at really bad again.
I think mediocrity is relative, though, and we need to be realistic about what the school is. We're still a small private university, and while we've done well with fundraising, we're not what some people think we should be (equivalent to LSU, UT, even schools like Arky). I see people talking about how great Matt Campbell is; the fact is he's led ISU to one 9 win season. Certainly big compared to what they've been, but that's perspective...

I said at the time that we had better remember the Rose Bowl because it's unlikely we get back.

You can define success in lots of ways, but we've had more success in my book than TTU, KU, ISU, WVU for sure and pretty equivalent if not better than KSU and Baylor. So we're somewhere around the middle to top of the conference (UT hasn't done much the last ten years either). Which schools in the conference would you trade results and experiences with, other than OU?

We can think "we should be better", but should we really? I think we've definitely overachieved. I don't think we should be complacent and happy, but putting together the results we have had year after year is a difficult thing for a small school. Similar schools haven't had sustained runs of success.

To me, being competitive all of the time and having occasional runs at the top is a pretty big accomplishment in itself. That's just my realistic perspective.

Wexahu

I think mediocrity is relative, though, and we need to be realistic about what the school is. We're still a small private university, and while we've done well with fundraising, we're not what some people think we should be (equivalent to LSU, UT, even schools like Arky). I see people talking about how great Matt Campbell is; the fact is he's led ISU to one 9 win season. Certainly big compared to what they've been, but that's perspective...

I said at the time that we had better remember the Rose Bowl because it's unlikely we get back.

You can define success in lots of ways, but we've had more success in my book than TTU, KU, ISU, WVU for sure and pretty equivalent if not better than KSU and Baylor. So we're somewhere around the middle to top of the conference (UT hasn't done much the last ten years either). Which schools in the conference would you trade results and experiences with, other than OU?

We can think "we should be better", but should we really? I think we've definitely overachieved. I don't think we should be complacent and happy, but putting together the results we have had year after year is a difficult thing for a small school. Similar schools haven't had sustained runs of success.

To me, being competitive all of the time and having occasional runs at the top is a pretty big accomplishment in itself. That's just my realistic perspective.
Good post. The part about Campbell and ISU is kind of eye-opening.

I do think we should almost always be better than them and KSU though.

froginmn

Good post. The part about Campbell and ISU is kind of eye-opening.

I do think we should almost always be better than them and KSU though.
Don't disagree; generally we have been.

If you look at the teams that have made the playoffs, 20 of the 28 spots have been taken by four teams. The others are Notre Dame (twice), Oregon, FSU, Washington, LSU, Georgia, and Michigan St. I feel like if we had been on that list (and we should have been ;)), we'd look like a bit of an outlier other than UW and MSU.

You look at other top football schools that haven't made it like Michigan, USC, Texas, Penn St and you realize what we're asking for if we expect TCU to make the playoffs...

Pharm Frog

It's this type of thinking that completes tyranny of low expectations. "Should we really be better?" Answer = yes. Always yes. Poor small school shelling out $6M to its head coach while having invested in excellent facilities. Other small schools haven't had sustained success so why should we expect to?

Horrid, fatalistic, pedestrian thinking IMO (and I'd say the same if TCU was a huge state-supported school). Biden/WAPO-level thinking -- should lower your expectations.

froginmn

It's this type of thinking that completes tyranny of low expectations. "Should we really be better?" Answer = yes. Always yes. Poor small school shelling out $6M to its head coach while having invested in excellent facilities. Other small schools haven't had sustained success so why should we expect to?

Horrid, fatalistic, pedestrian thinking IMO (and I'd say the same if TCU was a huge state-supported school). Biden/WAPO-level thinking -- should lower your expectations.
You're welcome to think that we should accomplish more than Penn St, USC, Michigan, and Texas, but to call my perspective low expectations is silly.

You obviously think TCU is bigger than it is and have become horribly spoiled to feel disappointed when the school has been to multiple CWS, two BCS, and one NY6 bowl and think that should be an expectation.

I think we should expect occasional visits to those type events. That's not low expectations.

Moose Stuff

Yep. This is exactly how your program ends up where we were 30 years ago.

GoFrog Yourself

You're welcome to think that we should accomplish more than Penn St, USC, Michigan, and Texas, but to call my perspective low expectations is silly.

You obviously think TCU is bigger than it is and have become horribly spoiled to feel disappointed when the school has been to multiple CWS, two BCS, and one NY6 bowl and think that should be an expectation.

I think we should expect occasional visits to those type events. That's not low expectations.
He didn’t say anything about expecting to be better than Penn State, et al., nor does he say anything about expecting CWS visits and NY6 bowl games. He’s calling out those that are ok with mediocre seasons because it’s better than the previous century. That’s the kind of thinking that gets you left behind

Moose Stuff

Your perspective is low expectations.