• The KillerFrogs

I am not Matt Jennings….

steelfrog

Tier 1
My question was simple and specific as well…. Would you be excited about a HC whose expectations for the program are the same as yours?

As for your question…. Making the playoffs is irrelevant to my expectation. I just want a coach that puts good product on the field (been 4 years). I want a coach that promotes the program and builds excitement (not happening at all). I want a coach that is able to put a coherent sentence together (few and far between). I want a coach willing to make changes to both his staff and the way he does things when it isn’t working (LMAO….. the exact opposite of Gary).
If you aren't innovating in football you are getting passed by people. That's where we are.

In LHCGP I trust. Bump in the road. Ya'll don't remember the early 80s at TCU. Brutal. Blowout losses, no attendance it was bad. When things look bleak, I just remember those days and how far TCU has come. Once I do that, I feel pretty good. TCU fan base is spoiled.
In the 80’s, the football/athletic budget was embarrassing. When TCU built the new stadium, changed how seats were allocated, and jacked up the prices, they signed up for big boy football. You cannot go back now. Big $$ people sitting on the 50 yard line, paying degrees of magnitude more than the old professors did for those same seats in the past are due more than what Frank Windigger rolled out with that poor boy budget.

Prime BEEF

I'd like someone to lay out what the expectations should be.

I said occasional visits to NY6 games. How often would you say we should be in those games?

In a ten year period, how many times should we make the playoffs? Win the conference? Be in the conference championship? Win 10 games?

Until someone lays out specifics we don't have defined high or low expectations.

Once someone puts specifics to their expectations we can have a reasonable discussion about how reasonable they are.
Minimum standard is 5-4 in conference play and beat SMU. Counting this season GP has only achieved that 3 times in 10 seasons.

Forget all of this win the conference talk. We are a long ways away from that. Good goal but not who we are right now.

tcudoc

I don't feel disappointed at all. Not at all. Is the program getting better or worse? Advancing or declining because there is no such thing as same ole same ole? Is the head coach ahead of any issues and making the corrections necessary to resolve and advance? Is your program willing to so the innovative things to compensate for any inherent deficiencies while improving on the orthodoxy? As for my expectations = When the baseball program wins the CWS I would expect the following year to be just as hungry or more so and to win again without dropping a single game in regionals, supers, or Omaha. When we did that I'd expect to win it all with a minimum run differential of 7. Same thing for football, volleyball, rifle, debate, diving (Moose's sport), and maybe basketball but I'm not sure it's even a college sport anymore.

So yes...I expect to accomplish more than Penn State, USC, Michigan, and Texas because that's why you play the games and they keep score.
Dang!! Tiger mom! ;)

Strat Frog

Minimum standard is 5-4 in conference play and beat SMU. Counting this season GP has only achieved that 3 times in 10 seasons.

Forget all of this win the conference talk. We are a long ways away from that. Good goal but not who we are right now.
Additional minimum standard: Can’t lose to Kansas, like we did a couple of years ago. Unacceptable. Period.

wilson912

The sad fact of the matter here is WHO is actually gonna write the article that gets people’s attention? Who is the respected reporter/writer that’s gonna do it? Back in the day it might have been Gil or Jim Reeves, but that guy no longer exists IMO. It’s not gonna be Drew so we’re left with crossing our fingers that Mac can put a few coherent sentences together. Good luck with that.
Did you hear Gary’s presser? I think the article did get somebody’s attention and Gary made a fool of himself for 7 minutes.

wilson912

I'm ready to roll the dice because I think at this point he's just trying to hang on. I think it's clear he doesn't have the hunger anymore and is way more content with 7-5, 8-4 type seasons than he was a decade ago.

And when you say "we know that GP has the ability to get us to the pinnacle", I don't think we're even talking about the same GP, so I'd disagree with that.
Heck, 8-4 seems so far off. 7-5 would be a win at this point.

I'm ready to roll the dice because I think at this point he's just trying to hang on. I think it's clear he doesn't have the hunger anymore and is way more content with 7-5, 8-4 type seasons than he was a decade ago.

And when you say "we know that GP has the ability to get us to the pinnacle", I don't think we're even talking about the same GP, so I'd disagree with that.
I don't know if he's just trying to hang on or is just stubbornly insistent that he can continue to do what he's done and eventually the results will manifest themselves. I do not know the man but have been in his presence over the years. The one thing that is obvious to me is that back in the early 2000's, he had a chip on his shoulder that you could see a mile away. He was very much the guy who had slept on couches in coaches offices and was going to fight like hell to not go back to that life. The guy I see holding court at the Colonial clubhouse during the golf tournament or at B&B's isn't the same guy that I saw back then. It's inevitable that people change and I have nothing against him enjoying his success because he's earned every bit of it but the lack of churn in the program where there are a sufficient number of young, hungry guys with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove giving input seems like a substantial detriment when he can no longer be that guy.

Froggy Style

If you aren't innovating in football you are getting passed by people. That's where we are.
So, you're saying that sliding a LB out on to someone's best WR isn't getting it done? But if that doesn't work, does Gary have to invent a new defense right before he retires in 4 years?! Announcers say Gary likes to put DBs in one on one coverage...isn't that the only way to do it?

Gary: Let's just slow play, defy, and deny and see how long these suckers will pay...Oh, and I need to surround myself with incompentent boobs so they can't just promote someone.

steelfrog

Tier 1
I don't know if he's just trying to hang on or is just stubbornly insistent that he can continue to do what he's done and eventually the results will manifest themselves. I do not know the man but have been in his presence over the years. The one thing that is obvious to me is that back in the early 2000's, he had a chip on his shoulder that you could see a mile away. He was very much the guy who had slept on couches in coaches offices and was going to fight like hell to not go back to that life. The guy I see holding court at the Colonial clubhouse during the golf tournament or at B&B's isn't the same guy that I saw back then. It's inevitable that people change and I have nothing against him enjoying his success because he's earned every bit of it but the lack of churn in the program where there are a sufficient number of young, hungry guys with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove giving input seems like a substantial detriment when he can no longer be that guy.
Bingo.

Eight

Permanent scars for some folks, I suppose.

0kGUes.gif

Klaw

It’s almost completely ineffective. Just look at the reactions it’s getting on the two main TCU forums. The typical response is negative.
We can all agree that GP has done miracles with the program and taken it to levels beyond any of our dreams.

However, GP has stopped growing and evolving with the game which is evident by his teams’s performance, and his coaching hire. This program needs a complete overhaul or it will continue to sink into mediocrity and the bottom of the Big 12 table.

Simply, Football is a business and we are paying GP $6MM to be a rock star, not 6-6. GP has had 4 years to turn it around and he has not delivered.

Mean Purple

We can all agree that GP has done miracles with the program and taken it to levels beyond any of our dreams.

However, GP has stopped growing and evolving with the game which is evident by his teams’s performance, and his coaching hire. This program needs a complete overhaul or it will continue to sink into mediocrity and the bottom of the Big 12 table.

Simply, Football is a business and we are paying GP $6MM to be a rock star, not 6-6. GP has had 4 years to turn it around and he has not delivered.
No so much an overhaul, as it needs a coach to realize that you scheme defenses and offenses in a manner that matches the talent you have. GP has refused to accept that until it is way too late in the season. Can get away with it in group of five play, but not in the P5 leagues.

Last edited: