• The KillerFrogs

Hunt in the portal

Froggish

All he needs to do is email out a highlight clip of his Baylor catch last year and someone will take a chance on him. Athleticism isn't THunts problem. Catching balls and running routes he's not so good at and thats kind of important

Wexahu

All he needs to do is email out a highlight clip if his Baylor catch last year and someone will take a chance on him. Athleticism isn't THunts problem. Catching balls and running routes he's not so good at and thats kind of important

One of those guys that makes everything look harder than it needs to be IMO. Just not a very polished WR and not sure he was ever gonna be more than a 2nd-string caliber player.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
All he needs to do is email out a highlight clip if his Baylor catch last year and someone will take a chance on him.
I thought it funny that probably the Best College Football Catch of 2019 happened on a team that, at seemingly all other times, couldn't catch a cold...

Is this a case of a 4*, physically gifted, talent laden kid who simply can't/won't learn the skills necessary to the next level? There has been discussion of kids that are "un-coachable." Was this the case?

Froggish

I thought it funny that probably the Best College Football Catch of 2019 happened on a team that, at seemingly all other times, couldn't catch a cold...

Is this a case of a 4*, physically gifted, talent laden kid who simply can't/won't learn the skills necessary to the next level? There has been discussion of kids that are "un-coachable." Was this the case?

I don’t think he was uncoachable. I think he was a guy who spent his whole athletic life getting by on his athletic superiority and that won’t work at the P5 level. He just has a poor feel for the game of football. Instincts for playing WR were terrible

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I don’t think he was uncoachable. I think he was a guy who spent his whole athletic life getting by on his athletic superiority and that won’t work at the P5 level. He just has a poor feel for the game of football. Instincts for playing WR were terrible
One would think that scouting a guy would serve up these things, or at least send up a warning. I will be the first to admit that I know very little (comparatively) about these matters, but we sure do seem to get a lot of busts...

Wexahu

One would think that scouting a guy would serve up these things, or at least send up a warning. I will be the first to admit that I know very little (comparatively) about these matters, but we sure do seem to get a lot of busts...

To be fair to Hunt, it’s hard as hell for any skill position player to really develop in this complete mess of an offense.

We probably value raw athleticism above football skill and instincts, but we aren’t the only team that does that. We just suck at finding consistent roles for players and developing them into those roles.

Froggish

To be fair to Hunt, it’s hard as hell for any skill position player to really develop in this complete mess of an offense.

We probably value raw athleticism above football skill and instincts, but we aren’t the only team that does that. We just suck at finding consistent roles for players and developing them into those roles.

GP has always valued Athleticism over skill because he’s had confidence in his ability to develop them into players. However now that kids expect to be major contributors as FR and Sophs, his model of 3 years of development is being blown up. Just because a guy can run fast and jump out of the gym doesn’t mean he can play football. Hunt and Stephens are both great examples of that. Although Stephens appears to be improving some.

Wexahu

GP has always valued Athleticism over skill because he’s had confidence in his ability to develop them into players. However now that kids expect to be major contributors as FR and Sophs, his model of 3 years of development is being blown up. Just because a guy can run fast and jump out of the gym doesn’t mean he can play football. Hunt and Stephens are both great examples of that. Although Stephens appears to be improving some.

Stephens has 1 catch for 5 yards this season.

Eight

with the summer passing leagues and the emphasis on throwing the ball in the high schools there a number of kids who come out of high school with a great feel for the passing game and can contribute once they set foot on campus

needs to be a balance between undeveloped athletic ability and kids who are really polished, but not much upside which goes back to your recruiters knowing what works in your offense

my concern is we are starting to see more interest in the small receivers versus the bigger bodies, but would settle for receivers that fit a scheme, are developed, and utilized

denverfrog

He'll probably end up on a $ec roster with a coaching staff that has a plan and ability to call plays, become a beast of a receiver.

This is just the beginning is what I am guessing.

Thanks GP.
If a guy that was clearly the 3rd or 4th best option at TCU makes an SEC roster then we have some incredible WRs