• The KillerFrogs

How we can get a new HC next year

JAB331

So I know it sounds insane to buy out Gary's contract, but when you start to think of that as sunk cost, and start to think how much you'd save by getting rid of the rest of his overly bloated and over paid coaching staff, you probably have enough to attract a staff like the Costal Carolina one for the next three years. Then if they perform, you give them the big money.

This would allow them to start next year with a good team they can coach up, and then have a basis to recruit from.

The tough part is actually the messaging, but Gary could say he's retiring and coming on in an advisory capacity, or something similar.

Toad Jones

So I know it sounds insane to buy out Gary's contract, but when you start to think of that as sunk cost, and start to think how much you'd save by getting rid of the rest of his overly bloated and over paid coaching staff, you probably have enough to attract a staff like the Costal Carolina one for the next three years. Then if they perform, you give them the big money.

This would allow them to start next year with a good team they can coach up, and then have a basis to recruit from.

The tough part is actually the messaging, but Gary could say he's retiring and coming on in an advisory capacity, or something similar.
That wouldn't work with GP even near the program. If I'm the new coach and given a contract to improve, then I do it my way. I'm almost to the point of letting the AD go too.

JAB331

That wouldn't work with GP even near the program. If I'm the new coach and given a contract to improve, then I do it my way. I'm almost to the point of letting the AD go too.
Agreed, which is why it would just be a ceremonial title that allows him to save face. The incoming coach would likely understand, and want the same thing if the roles were reversed.

Salfrog

Tier 1

GP doesn't need to have anything to do with a new coach and staff.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

Offer him the position of Adjunct Professor of Wildlife Preservation Studies, hand him a .460 Weatherby Magnum, and fly him off to Nairobi.

TRF51

Unfortunately there is nothing we as fans can do to bring that kind of change unless everyone boycotted the football program but that will never happen. Gary will continue to slip and cash those huge checks. What sucks is that he is probably working really hard but he obviously is not getting through to his team. Our only hope is that he takes a step back, like his program, and evaluate everything and makes changes.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Unfortunately there is nothing we as fans can do to bring that kind of change unless everyone boycotted the football program but that will never happen. Gary will continue to slip and cash those huge checks. What sucks is that he is probably working really hard but he obviously is not getting through to his team. Our only hope is that he takes a step back, like his program, and evaluate everything and makes changes.
Boycott? When a team is losing like the Frogs have been losing, no organized boycott is necessary. Fans stay away all by themselves...

Wexahu

Boycott? When a team is losing like the Frogs have been losing, no organized boycott is necessary. Fans stay away all by themselves...
I can tell you IF I attend the last two games it’s not really because I want to. A small tiny weird bit of me still feels like it’s an obligation, but that is going away. It’s too much of a beating to watch completely uninspiring football. If the powers that he don’t really care, why should I.

Eight

It would just be for optics. It's in the university's best interest to keep his legacy intact.

optics only matter to those who are afraid of change. optics only matter to the lazy media who need to fill a time slot of conversation and alums at the gulf club and at lunch after church.

do you think if a change is made next year some high school sophomore will immediately cross tcu off his list of potential school because of optics? do you think the frogs won't get the attention of more than one quality candidate because of optics? do you think fans won't come back to the carter if the next coach does better than .500 at home because of the optics of the end of gary's time in ft worth?

it is in the university's best interest to do what is in the best interest of the program and the university. gary will be perfectly fine regardless of the optics