• The KillerFrogs

How much will our offense change?

TX_Krötenechse

As we all know, Cumbie is handling the offense this season after taking a backseat on play-calling the last few. What do you guys think we will see this season? More of the same, major changes, or somewhere in between?

Personally I think we will likely keep the hurry-up offense and exploit quick passes. But I hope that we also see a stronger commitment to the run, since we have an outstanding RB group and a veteran line. I'm also hoping that Coach Thomson can get our line ready for run blocking, an area we have sadly lacked the past few seasons.

With a shaky QB and WR corps (unless our freshman can spark both groups), I think the run game will be the strongest part of our offense. Hill and Robinson are both excellent runners, which can add another dimension that was lacking at times last season.

Thoughts?

y2kFrog

Considering most of the offensive coaching hires are Leach proteges, I doubt the running game will be of any more importance. I would say it will involve more use of the slot receiver type (Welker/Amendola), more stretch tight end type receivers (Amaro), and less launch it deep half the time.

PO Frog

Considering most of the offensive coaching hires are Leach proteges, I doubt the running game will be of any more importance. I would say it will involve more use of the slot receiver type (Welker/Amendola), more stretch tight end type receivers (Amaro), and less launch it deep half the time.
All that would be fine if we could have the efficiency of a tech or a cal offense. Hoping Sonny D brings some consistency and experience and really helps Cumbie out. For a spread offense we were terrible at the quick, supposedly easy stuff last year and had way too many third and longs. Can't run an air raid when you can't convert and also complete a very high percentage of the easy stuff.

Gunner

Think Meacham was kind of a jerk, but I also think he was a smart dude. GP got cross and took the offensive reigns to Cumbie. Meacham crossed GP.

But forget all that, Cumbie has to come thru now. He'll be okay, great, who knows.

Always had this feeling that Meacham was way too cool to GP during games. Watched this a bunch on replays. Couldn't understand it and still don't. But I think it was Meacham got too big for his britches and he made a stupid error not respecting Patterson more. That kinda' crap will land you in Kansas.

Know this from the best source ever, GP is the easiest guy ever, to work for. So Meacham was the problem.

Wexahu

If you look at the coaches in charge of the offense, you'd have to think we're going to pass 80% of the time. But I think Patterson REALLY wants to get back to running the ball more effectively. It will be interesting for sure, not really sure what to expect. I just hope Anderson gets his touches, I think he has a chance to be really really good.

If you look at the coaches in charge of the offense, you'd have to think we're going to pass 80% of the time. But I think Patterson REALLY wants to get back to running the ball more effectively. It will be interesting for sure, not really sure what to expect. I just hope Anderson gets his touches, I think he has a chance to be really really good.
To me, Anderson is one of the more intriguing players on the team

MinFrog

This is tough to stomach, but I hope we are more like baylors former offense.

They ran the ball a ton, threw short passes that didn't require multiple reads or through deep.

Hill throws a decent tempo ball (less than 7 yards) and a nice deep ball ( when he actually there them), but this damn 8-20 yard balls were terrible.

pgdaly84

This is tough to stomach, but I hope we are more like baylors former offense.

They ran the ball a ton, threw short passes that didn't require multiple reads or through deep.

Hill throws a decent tempo ball (less than 7 yards) and a nice deep ball ( when he actually there them), but this damn 8-20 yard balls were terrible.

Yup. As much as it pains me to say, I think Briles created the best college offense. The focus of the offense was a power running game complimented by quick passes and several deep balls. Hopefully we can trend toward that and away from the Leach style of the Air Raid that is too one-dimensional.

Wexahu

Yup. As much as it pains me to say, I think Briles created the best college offense. The focus of the offense was a power running game complimented by quick passes and several deep balls. Hopefully we can trend toward that and away from the Leach style of the Air Raid that is too one-dimensional.

And relied a great deal on illegal downfield blocking on pass plays hardly ever being called. I know that's been mentioned before but it's true. On literally half, and probably more than half of the deep balls they threw, they had O-lineman blocking 2-5 yards downfield.

There's a reason why that's supposed to be illegal. I guess it was genius because the refs rarely called it, but if they had that offense would have been much less effective.

TX_Krötenechse

Briles offense would work better IMO with crisper route running and adding in some stuff over the middle of the field. Stuff that we have been good at in the past.

MadFrog

I think we have to ignore señiority at the running back position. I really believe Anderson can be special if we just give him the ball.

y2kFrog

Think Meacham was kind of a jerk, but I also think he was a smart dude. GP got cross and took the offensive reigns to Cumbie. Meacham crossed GP.

But forget all that, Cumbie has to come thru now. He'll be okay, great, who knows.

Always had this feeling that Meacham was way too cool to GP during games. Watched this a bunch on replays. Couldn't understand it and still don't. But I think it was Meacham got too big for his britches and he made a stupid error not respecting Patterson more. That kinda' crap will land you in Kansas.

Know this from the best source ever, GP is the easiest guy ever, to work for. So Meacham was the problem.

Boykin to Doctson made Meacham look really smart.

Snoop1122

I really hope Anderson is used in some wide receiver packages as well as a running back. We could put Hicks at RB then Anderson at WR. Anderson has the ability to be used in multiple ways and formations.

Snoop1122

I really hope Anderson is used in some wide receiver packages as well as a running back. We could put Hicks at RB then Anderson at WR. Anderson has the ability to be used in multiple ways and formations.

ScottPatrick

TE in a flex position
More receivers in crossing patterns
Wheel routes
Less jet sweeps

Cumbie and Thomsen are a good combination, the blocking schemes will change a little but also the methods used.

With Nixon healthy and if Christian gets up to speed quickly the passing game should look a lot more like it did a few years ago but with a possession receiver in the mix.

Limp Lizard

Should be interesting. I know that Cumbie's experience with Leach says pass, pass, pass, but GP has been public about running the ball better. And with Hicks, Anderson and Olonilua back there I certainly think it is possible. Not especially more...better. 49% of our plays were runs last year, 52% in 2015, and 49% in 2014. For comparison, Leach's Wash St offense had 35% runs in 2016. So we have never been close to a Leach offense since the change in 2014. We probably would have run the ball more if we were not behind so often.

I heard at least one time Cumbie was critical of the play calling, and that was for the Baylor loss in 2014. Seems like I remember him saying they got too conservative. I remember thinking "hmmmmm" at the time. Some friction even in the first season?

I agree with many here on not doing enough of the quick passes. I seemed to me that Hill tended to hold the ball a long time for this kind of offense. Looked like he made his reads from deep to short on almost every pass play. Whether that was how the offense is structured, just a part of Hill's game, or just my imagination, I don't know. To me I did not see enough of those quick passes. Those quick passes, and a good running game set up the long pass, I would think.

That and efficiency in the red zone are important. Yeah, we really struggled with field goals last year, but converting a few more of those to TD's sure would have helped a lot. Interesting to see if, as a spectator, I see any major difference in play calling or execution.