• The KillerFrogs

How much of a factor

JugbandFrog

QUOTE(Johnnyhornedfrog @ Apr 5 2010, 02:49 PM) [snapback]540693[/snapback]
In the coming year. They kept AD confused all day in the Fiesta. Will they be difficult to overcome?

We were not playing to our strengths and whenever you have a guy throw more times in one game than in our two previous biggest games combined, you will be out of your element. We had a lot to do with our offensive problems.

The only thing that would be difficult to overcome is if Anduente can shake it off and realize how to not stray from your strengths in big games.

gdu

Shouldn't be. Break down the film and prepare for it. It's not like they are capable of running some top secret defense nobody could ever figure out. They mystified us in the first half and we made mistakes in the second (not catching passes, not trying to run the ball).

Big Frog II

I think the noise in the stadium was a bigger factor. Andy mentioned how they were not ready for the noise factor. What's sad is the fact that while the Boise fans were yelling while we had the ball, so were way too many of our fans making it even worse.

gdu

QUOTE(Big Frog II @ Apr 5 2010, 02:54 PM) [snapback]540700[/snapback]
I think the noise in the stadium was a bigger factor. Andy mentioned how they were not ready for the noise factor. What's sad is the fact that while the Boise fans were yelling while we had the ball, so were way too many of our fans making it even worse.

Agreed. It was unbelievable how many times I had to tell my section to quiet down when we were on offense.

YA

QUOTE(Big Frog II @ Apr 5 2010, 09:54 AM) [snapback]540700[/snapback]

Well besides the fact that our own fans have no clue on when to yell.

The coaches stated at the time that they did not prepare the team for the loud noise in a domed stadium. That is a head scratcher and shows how unprepared the coaching staff was for this game. That will not happen again.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(tcugdu @ Apr 5 2010, 09:57 AM) [snapback]540703[/snapback]
I had to tell my section to quiet down when we were on offense.

Did you also tell them to use the search function?

Genbukan

Right...... blame the 20,000 plus fans who followed the frogs to their first BcS game. :blink:

That offensive performance had everything to do with the coaches having stage fright. From the inexplicable decision not to practice silent counts in the month and half from the end of the season to the bowl game, to the decision not to snap the ball quick and negative BSU's moving the dl, to not figuring out that the 8 in the box look was not 8 in the box - our young coaches got totally outfoxed by BSU's young coaches.

Kudo's to all of the fans who made the trip..... we represented much better than the offensive coaches did.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Genbukan @ Apr 5 2010, 10:17 AM) [snapback]540723[/snapback]
That offensive performance had everything to do with the coaches having stage fright.

IMO, that offensive performance had to do with two young first-year co-coordinators getting schooled by veteran coaches on the other side who threw something new and different at them, and they panicked, went away from what we do, and ultimately got schooled. I might be wrong on that, but that's what it seems like.

And despite that we still had chances to win had a couple of plays went our way.

Dogfrog

Every opponent will study the Boise film. I'd like to think one lesson learned from that game is that when you run the ball successfully, it's hard for the opponent to disguise their defensive schemes. It forces their hand. When you call plays at the line of scrimmage based on what scheme you guess they are giving you, it allows the opponent the opportunity to fool you.

Shooter

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 5 2010, 09:20 AM) [snapback]540725[/snapback]
IMO, that offensive performance had to do with two young first-year co-coordinators getting schooled by veteran coaches on the other side who threw something new and different at them, and they panicked, went away from what we do, and ultimately got schooled. I might be wrong on that, but that's what it seems like.

And despite that we still had chances to win had a couple of plays went our way.

I'd agree Top, but the noise factor and poor prep were very large as well.

bullfrog69

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Apr 5 2010, 10:29 AM) [snapback]540734[/snapback]
Every opponent will study the Boise film. I'd like to think one lesson learned from that game is that when you run the ball successfully, it's hard for the opponent to disguise their defensive schemes. It forces their hand. When you call plays at the line of scrimmage based on what scheme you guess they are giving you, it allows the opponent the opportunity to fool you.

it didn't help some of the players were out partying the night before

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Shooter @ Apr 5 2010, 10:34 AM) [snapback]540742[/snapback]
I'd agree Top, but the noise factor and poor prep were very large as well.
Sure it was a factor. We played in front of a couple of big crowds on the road where noise was a factor, but no doubt being indoors with a big noise crowd was different.

Still, BSU got us to do what they wanted.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(bullfrog69 @ Apr 5 2010, 10:36 AM) [snapback]540743[/snapback]
it didn't help some of the players were out partying the night before

If true, that's a coaching issue.

4th. down

QUOTE(Genbukan @ Apr 5 2010, 03:17 PM) [snapback]540723[/snapback]
Right...... blame the 20,000 plus fans who followed the frogs to their first BcS game. :blink:

That offensive performance had everything to do with the coaches having stage fright. From the inexplicable decision not to practice silent counts in the month and half from the end of the season to the bowl game, to the decision not to snap the ball quick and negative BSU's moving the dl, to not figuring out that the 8 in the box look was not 8 in the box - our young coaches got totally outfoxed by BSU's young coaches.

Kudo's to all of the fans who made the trip..... we represented much better than the offensive coaches did.

+1, +2, +3.

Probably Coach P's worst job of coaching but that said, our D can keep us in any game.

JugbandFrog

When you run the ball consistently and without worrying about how many points you put up, then you negate almost everything that could have affected us.

Our Offensive coaching staff did not put the team in a position to win and forced the players to play a game they were not entirely used to playing. I say it says a lot about how many opportunities our players had in spite of it. There were some dropped passes and missed assignments, but overall our talent level almost overcame.

Boise was talented, no doubt, but our offense was handicapped by our young coaching staff.

I know people dont like the win by one point mentality, but our coaching staff faced a tough, smart and talented defense and wanted to drop the hammer on em like we did against BYU and Utah, and everyone else for that matter, but sometimes that just doesnt happen. When you just want the W, you play to what will get you there.

oldscribe

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 5 2010, 09:20 AM) [snapback]540725[/snapback]

I AGREE COMPLETELY and don't think it will happen again. (and part of the problem may have been the looooong period between end of season and the bowl...longer than the coaches or players had experienced previously. I hope that DOES happen again...like weeks between end of season and a NC game.... but I figure the result would be different next time.)

kaiser soze

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 5 2010, 09:05 AM) [snapback]540708[/snapback]
Did you also tell them to use the search function?

Only a d***head would say that. Funny nonetheless though.

Edit: figured the spellchecker would kick in.

Screaming Flea

QUOTE(YA @ Apr 5 2010, 10:01 AM) [snapback]540707[/snapback]
Well besides the fact that our own fans have no clue on when to yell.

The coaches stated at the time that they did not prepare the team for the loud noise in a domed stadium. That is a head scratcher and shows how unprepared the coaching staff was for this game. That will not happen again.

In a disappointing lost such as the Boise State game, the coach's have got to have a ready explanation to the fans. Crowd noise was just ONE of the factors.

Boise State had a tremendous game plan on both sides of the ball. They shut us down with their schemes and we had no answer at the time. They thought if they executed their game plan, they might just slow us down, confuse and frustrate Andy and the rest of bunch including the coach's.

As the game progressed, our coach's began to figure it out. Unfortunately Andy just had a bad start and it took longer than the game for All to settle down.

Lastly, we had a discipline opportunity the days leading up to the game and the kids who had played their hearts out for the year proceeding the Fiesta had a 'disappointment' playing Boise State in consecutive years.

Will teams we play this fall adopt some of Boise's schemes? Wouldn't you?

Call it what you will, out-coached, under-prepared etc., whatever you want but Gary and his bunch were embarrassed and will make preparations this doesn't happen again.

Good post YA!

Shooter

QUOTE(Screaming Flea @ Apr 5 2010, 11:50 AM) [snapback]540857[/snapback]
In a disappointing lost such as the Boise State game, the coach's have got to have a ready explanation to the fans. Crowd noise was just ONE of the factors.

Boise State had a tremendous game plan on both sides of the ball. They shut us down with their schemes and we had no answer at the time. They thought if they executed their game plan, they might just slow us down, confuse and frustrate Andy and the rest of bunch including the coach's.

As the game progressed, our coach's began to figure it out. Unfortunately Andy just had a bad start and it took longer than the game for All to settle down.

Lastly, we had a discipline opportunity the days leading up to the game and the kids who had played their hearts out for the year proceeding the Fiesta had a 'disappointment' playing Boise State in consecutive years.

Will teams we play this fall adopt some of Boise's schemes? Wouldn't you?

Call it what you will, out-coached, under-prepared etc., whatever you want but Gary and his bunch were embarrassed and will make preparations this doesn't happen again.

Good post YA!

Spot on post Flea, tells the whole story very well.

Latest posts