• The KillerFrogs

How great is it...

Man, have we come a long way. As has the MWC. Four years ago, we would have been freaking out about all these rumors. Are ANY TCU fans sweating this one out at all? Isn't there a certain sense of comfort that TCU is going to come out fine after all the smoke clears?

I mean, the worst case scenario is the Pac-10 taking Utah from the MWC. Okay, it sucks, but we can move on. Adding Boise cures that to a certain extent. It would be nice if Air Force or Colorado State quickly replaced Utah's departure.

It's nice to not be in Baylor's shoes. TCU is sitting pretty. And to think the Bears might be begging the MWC to let them in. Karma is a [ poofster ].

jadailyTCU

QUOTE(Merch Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 03:54 PM) [snapback]569631[/snapback]
I mean, the worst case scenario is the Pac-10 taking Utah from the MWC. Okay, it sucks, but we can move on. Adding Boise cures that to a certain extent. It would be nice if Air Force or Colorado State quickly replaced Utah's departure.

We could also add three more Big 12 teams (if Utah gets in the Pac-10 I think that mean Tech doesn't, so Tech plus the two Kansas schools) in addition to Boise, and there'll be little drop-off.

halfwaytoheaven

Man, have we come a long way. As has the MWC. Four years ago, we would have been freaking out about all these rumors. Are ANY TCU fans sweating this one out at all? Isn't there a certain sense of comfort that TCU is going to come out fine after all the smoke clears?

It's nice to not be in Baylor's shoes. TCU is sitting pretty. And to think the Bears might be begging the MWC to let them in. Karma is a [ poofster ].

I have a nagging discomfort about realignment, but I'm far from freaking out. As for our conference mates, I think Air Force football has pretty much maxed out their potential - you can only do so much with their recruiting limitations. If they can keep winning eight games a year, I'll be thrilled. CSU and UNM are the ones I'm really disappointed in. They have the potential to be conference title contenders, and they should certainly be better than cellar dwellers.

With Baylor, I hate to gloat too much. TCU was in essentially the same position 16 years ago, and I wouldn't have hesitated to join the Big 12 and throw Baylor to the wolves had roles been reversed. For now, a few years in C-USA might do them some good. If they're serious about turning around their football program they might even make a good candidate for the MWC in a decade or two. Or not.

fanatical frog

Right on, right on.

And....if the dominoes fall such that both the PAC 10 and B-10 expand....some interesting possibilities surface. Can you imagine the big four of the MWC (TCU; BYU; Utah and Air Force) combining with some combination of
  • Kansas
  • Kansas State
  • Iowa State
  • Baylor
  • Louisville
  • Cincinnatti
  • Boise State
  • Houston
  • Memphis
To form a new conference. Maybe it'd be nine teams, maybe 12...either way....some interesting possibilities could come to pass.

In any event, I think the Frogs are well positioned ...maybe for even bigger things.

Dogfrog

I would assume if Utah went to the Pac 10, that would mean Colorado didn't. I would take CU in a heartbeat over Tech. Doubt it though, because Pac 10 really wants CU.

jadailyTCU

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jun 6 2010, 05:30 PM) [snapback]569694[/snapback]
I would assume if Utah went to the Pac 10, that would mean Colorado didn't. I would take CU in a heartbeat over Tech. Doubt it though, because Pac 10 really wants CU.

No way does Utah get in over Colorado, but I'd put probability of Utah over Tech at about....30 percent, maybe?

stxan3

as of an hour ago Baylor has some serious strings being pulled by some powerful politicians that expect Baylor to get the invite over Colorado and the Pac 10 would likely give in to the pressure to keep from losing out on the possibility of losing Texas. Colorado would be a natural fit for the MWC. Adding Boise, CU and the other Bid 12 leftovers plus a couple of other schools could be the new direction. So many different scenarios could play out, but thankfully the chips should begin to fall within the next 7 days and we can get on with it.

QUOTE(stxan3 @ Jun 6 2010, 11:20 PM) [snapback]569737[/snapback]
as of an hour ago Baylor has some serious strings being pulled by some powerful politicians that expect Baylor to get the invite over Colorado and the Pac 10 would likely give in to the pressure to keep from losing out on the possibility of losing Texas. Colorado would be a natural fit for the MWC. Adding Boise, CU and the other Bid 12 leftovers plus a couple of other schools could be the new direction. So many different scenarios could play out, but thankfully the chips should begin to fall within the next 7 days and we can get on with it.

An earlier report said the Pac-10 has no interest in Baylor. They've been looking at Colorado for over 10 years now. They aren't going to let 12 Texas politicians change their course.

QUOTE(Merch Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 07:24 PM) [snapback]569739[/snapback]
An earlier report said the Pac-10 has no interest in Baylor. They've been looking at Colorado for over 10 years now. They aren't going to let 12 Texas politicians change their course.

I have a feeling that the presidents of Cal, Stanford, USC and UCLA won't like being dictated to by Texas politicians.

Coach Pattersons Dog

I want nothing to do with:

Louisville
Cincinnati
Houston
Memphis

and really don't give a poop about Baylor even based on our lonnnnnng history of competition.

What's our legislature going to do about any of this? Pull funding from the state schools? Fat chance! Maybe they'll vote to secede.

jadailyTCU

QUOTE(Coach Pattersons Dog @ Jun 6 2010, 06:47 PM) [snapback]569749[/snapback]
I want nothing to do with:

Louisville
Cincinnati
Houston
Memphis

and really don't give a poop about Baylor even based on our lonnnnnng history of competition.

What's our legislature going to do about any of this? Pull funding from the state schools? Fat chance! Maybe they'll vote to secede.

I'd be OK with adding Houston based mostly on the fact that it'd be nice to have a conference opponent closer than Albuquerque, but let's stay away from expanding east of the Mississippi. (Though, given where I live right now, Memphis would be very convenient for me...but seriously, no thanks.) Also, Houston has the potential to become a better rival than SMU if we're both in a fairly stable conference for an extended period of time.

VictoryLap

QUOTE(stxan3 @ Jun 6 2010, 06:20 PM) [snapback]569737[/snapback]

Oh these people sound soooo powerful. 15 state representatives from Texas have sooooo much power over schools in California, Arizona, Oregon and Washington.

Way to sound ridiculous and pathetic. At the end of the day, we already know that Baylor didn't make the cut on merit. Whether or not they somehow get bumped over CU doesn't matter one bit to me, I am happy either way.

QUOTE(Merch Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 04:54 PM) [snapback]569631[/snapback]

Don't quite share your confidence. I think there is still a very real possibility that we could end up on the outside looking in. However, unlike last time, TCU is in pretty much the best position it could possibly be, which is all the university can really control.

I can think of several worst case scenarios. Pac 10 takes Utah, Big 12 takes BYU or CSU. BCS changes rules to require 12-team conferences for inclusion. Many ways for us to be left out at sea. But again, we're in the best possible position we could be in.

Long way from there yet. Let's not count our chickens. They're still in, we're still out.

Geez, Duquesne Frog...did your wife leave you and dog run away?

First of all, regarding your Utah scenario, you're leaving an important piece of the puzzle out. If Utah left, that means Colorado leaves too. That's one opening in the Big 12. It's also all but certain Mizzou and/or Nebraska are joining the Big 10. There's another opening (or two) in the Big 12. TCU will fit in one of those openings. The only scenario I see being a problem with that is if Arkansas left the SEC for the Big 12, but that would be financial suicide for them. Yes, BYU is an option for the Big 12, but CSU is not. Not above TCU, at least.

We're in good shape, dude. Have a beer.