• The KillerFrogs

How do you build a good defense in the Big 12?

FrogAbroad

The simple answer seems to be 3-star talent plus Coach P.

Texas and OU always recruit the highest ranked players and don’t always play even good defense while TCU rarely recruits competitively ranked players but consistently rank amongst the league’s better units.

LINK

Eight

ian makes things so freaking complicated he could take all damn day making a ham sandwich.

best part of the entire article is how this statement at the start

"However, Texas has also put some of the decade’s best Big 12 defenses on the field with top S&P+ finishes in 2011, 2014, and 2017. What always stood out to me about those finishes for the Texas defense was that those were the seasons in which a particular class of interior defenders were seniors."

seems to be in direct conflict with this closing statement

"So when you’re evaluating your team’s recruits this summer, a key factor you should be looking at is how many DBs they are signing. Everything else is arguably just noise."

that last statement is so far off base it is comical. you want to start build a good defense in any conference, not just the big 12? it starts in the freaking defensive line. go find me a truly championship caliber defense that does not control the line of scrimmage.

texas best defenses have been strong in the d-line, no accident tcu's best defenses have been strong in the d-line and you don't need flow charts, scatter graphs, or damn analytics to understand if i can control an offense's running game with d-line and linebackers and get a consistent rush with my d-line alone i am going to scheiss up most offenses.

VA Froggie

The simple answer seems to be 3-star talent plus Coach P.

Texas and OU always recruit the highest ranked players and don’t always play even good defense while TCU rarely recruits competitively ranked players but consistently rank amongst the league’s better units.

LINK
That would be the coaching staff starting at the top. I have always liked Coach P’s approach, find the athletes and put them were you need the help. It has been amazing the number of QB’s he has brought in that play other positions. Also take a good AA and the kid is thrilled to get a full ride and wants to prove the coach correct and plays his butt off.

Limp Lizard

That would be the coaching staff starting at the top. I have always liked Coach P’s approach, find the athletes and put them were you need the help. It has been amazing the number of QB’s he has brought in that play other positions. Also take a good AA and the kid is thrilled to get a full ride and wants to prove the coach correct and plays his butt off.
Put excellent coaching along with great talent and you have an Alabama.

OU should be ashamed of those graphs. Only a once in a lifetime QB allowed them to have a top team.

FrogLifeYo

Great football teams are built from the inside out. Give me great interior line play on both sides of the ball and you’ll win way more than you loose. Our defenses are at their best when they can consistently stop the run with the front 6..

Great football teams are built from the inside out. Give me great interior line play on both sides of the ball and you’ll win way more than you loose. Our defenses are at their best when they can consistently stop the run with the front 6..

You always use the word loose instead of lose, are you doing a schtick?

But agree with your comment minus the use of loose.