• The KillerFrogs

How do the frogs defensive personnel fit into gillespie's 3-3-5?

4th. down

Banks at MLB. And then if Winters slides back, could Mathis and Coleman move back to OLB's? Also have Hodge. Horton?
I like Winters as a safety but not sure if Mathis has the speed to play LB and cover a tight end or a back out of the backfield or a wheel route.

JugbandFrog

From what I have seen, Banks will be a Big part of the D because of his size and speed. We definitely don’t have the size in the middle of the D right now.

Limp Lizard

The number one problem on defense is they just did not play their assignments. Blown coverages are not a matter of size, just not knowing on what the hell to do. Something was wrong way beyond x's and o's. Also missed tackles killed us, and that is often just a matter of will. The defenders were as talented as many much better GP defenses, but their minds were elsewhere.

4th. down

The number one problem on defense is they just did not play their assignments. Blown coverages are not a matter of size, just not knowing on what the hell to do. Something was wrong way beyond x's and o's. Also missed tackles killed us, and that is often just a matter of will. The defenders were as talented as many much better GP defenses, but their minds were elsewhere.
A very big part of it for sure and if anyone needed proof.....the Baylor game. Same dice, same shooter just different attitude. During a coaches meeting during Baylor week, GP was there and making comments. He was asked to leave, how about that one.

McFroggin

Expect we need a couple years to get personnel ironed out. It’ll be tough to get all the quality pieces from the portal in 1 year. This defense is quite the change.

Eight

Banks at MLB. And then if Winters slides back, could Mathis and Coleman move back to OLB's? Also have Hodge. Horton?

very curious about whether coleman and/or horton can make the move to olb

just don't see mathis being able to make the plays out in space, but i am interested in seeing if he could play head up on an offensive tackle out of a three point stance instead of three yards off standing up

Eight

Expect we need a couple years to get personnel ironed out. It’ll be tough to get all the quality pieces from the portal in 1 year. This defense is quite the change.

this is the concern. do the frogs have the players at linebacker and safety to truly make this work?

how much have we seen the past two years was because of factors outside of physical ability? guess we start to find out in spring ball

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
"How will our current players fit in this system?" I don't believe that is the right question. The right question is: "What system will our current players fit into?"

The cupboard is empty in some spots, and overflowing in others. There isn't much crossover potential between the spots, either. There has to be some magical conjuring to land enough guys to field a decent team, given what is posted above. 4 DT? You can't rotate. Players get tired. Gotta have more beef up front...

Whether the Portal or old fashioned recruiting, we need some players who can play. Badly.

Eight

"How will our current players fit in this system?" I don't believe that is the right question. The right question is: "What system will our current players fit into?"

The cupboard is empty in some spots, and overflowing in others. There isn't much crossover potential between the spots, either. There has to be some magical conjuring to land enough guys to field a decent team, given what is posted above. 4 DT? You can't rotate. Players get tired. Gotta have more beef up front...

Whether the Portal or old fashioned recruiting, we need some players who can play. Badly.

think the defensive staff first and foremost has to see if their are players on this roster that fit into the scheme gillespie wants to run. you don't scrap what you know without getting everyone out on the field and truly seeing what you inherited and have brought into the program

on paper the defensive line might not be as sparse as some say it if indeed ellis, misi, sorrells, and cooper come back next year combined with blue, williams and you land the big kid from tulsa.

the bigger concern to me is linebacker and as 4th down pointed out safety which is interesting because the frogs currently have 9 linebackers currently on their roster or headed to campus and a similar number of safeties.

question now is who among them fits the scheme, who can pick it up and execute, and what we saw the past few seasons a byproduct of talent issues, scheme, coaching, etc..?

lizard made the comment above about the lack of execution and i agree so the questions are was that because the kids were confused? lack of effort, lack of talent, or lack of confidence?

the only thing we have to go by on some of these kids is there time at tcu, but i am hoping we see some changes in these players in the next few months when they gain some confidence, get a new chance, put in more positive situations etc...

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yep. We pretty much didn't have linebackers last season. Oh, there were guys playing the position, but they were basically safeties shoehorned into the LB spots. They got shoved around and were largely ineffective.

You are correct: I continually discount the morale factor, even though I have blathered on about it from time to time. It seems like there is enthusiasm and a new spirit, but only time and determination will tell.

4th. down

The irony of it all and the program was built on GP's defense. At least its our understanding that Dykes knows his way around the portal but even then, a couple of years to get the defense working good. Personnel changes by the end of Spring Ball and then again at the end of Fall Camp and maybe a couple of more by the OU game.

4th. down

think the defensive staff first and foremost has to see if their are players on this roster that fit into the scheme gillespie wants to run. you don't scrap what you know without getting everyone out on the field and truly seeing what you inherited and have brought into the program

on paper the defensive line might not be as sparse as some say it if indeed ellis, misi, sorrells, and cooper come back next year combined with blue, williams and you land the big kid from tulsa.

the bigger concern to me is linebacker and as 4th down pointed out safety which is interesting because the frogs currently have 9 linebackers currently on their roster or headed to campus and a similar number of safeties.

question now is who among them fits the scheme, who can pick it up and execute, and what we saw the past few seasons a byproduct of talent issues, scheme, coaching, etc..?

lizard made the comment above about the lack of execution and i agree so the questions are was that because the kids were confused? lack of effort, lack of talent, or lack of confidence?

the only thing we have to go by on some of these kids is there time at tcu, but i am hoping we see some changes in these players in the next few months when they gain some confidence, get a new chance, put in more positive situations etc...
Jenkins, Murray, and Barquet are already in the portal. Talk of Cooper and Ellis leaving. JG has a lot of shuffling around to do.

EDIT: the other site is reporting that Ellis and Cooper are staying as of 1/10/22.

Last edited:

FrogUltimate

Disagree. I see no reason for optimism with Ellis, Misi, Sorrells and Cooper. Potentially one of those guys contributes in a meaningful way, but all those guys are big reasons we were abysmal in 2021. Some of the worst players on the team.

Getting Player from Tulsa would be huge. That's like a one win change right there

Horned Toad

Lack of Frog Factor mostly.

Mean Purple

inability to get leverage was at a whole new level this year.