• The KillerFrogs

How Do Sports Networks

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
Decide which baseball games they are going to show? No network picked up the Frogs regional but yesterday morning ESPN had the whole FIU-Dartmouth game on? I understand kind of the FIU deal with the kid going for the hit streak but I doubt many people cared to watch that game, only to be updated when the kid got a hit. I have no clue how TV deals work in baseball so forgive me for my ignorance. Just kind of wondering...

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Frogs On A Plane @ Jun 6 2010, 08:39 AM) [snapback]569390[/snapback]
Decide which baseball games they are going to show? No network picked up the Frogs regional but yesterday morning ESPN had the whole FIU-Dartmouth game on? I understand kind of the FIU deal with the kid going for the hit streak but I doubt many people cared to watch that game, only to be updated when the kid got a hit. I have no clue how TV deals work in baseball so forgive me for my ignorance. Just kind of wondering...

I think they wanted to pick one East Coast regional (Coral Gables) and one West Coast regional (Fullerton) to maximize time slots on ESPNU. All of the games are coming from those 2 sites. They did the same thing last year. None of the Central regionals had a prayer. Also, the softball World Series has the prime slots on ESPN/ESPN2 this weekend. Next week all or most of the Super Regional games will be on one of the 3 channels.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 6 2010, 08:42 AM) [snapback]569391[/snapback]
I think they wanted to pick one East Coast regional (Coral Gables) and one West Coast regional (Fullerton) to maximize time slots on ESPNU. All of the games are coming from those 2 sites. They did the same thing last year. None of the Central regionals had a prayer. Also, the softball World Series has the prime slots on ESPN/ESPN2 this weekend. Next week all or most of the Super Regional games will be on one of the 3 channels.

So FSN hasn't been showing any of the regionals either? I just assumed they were. Makes more sense if hardly ANY of the regionals are being shown, I just assumed they were I guess.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Frogs On A Plane @ Jun 6 2010, 08:47 AM) [snapback]569394[/snapback]
So FSN hasn't been showing any of the regionals either? I just assumed they were. Makes more sense if hardly ANY of the regionals are being shown, I just assumed they were I guess.

FSN's problem is most of them also have local MLB rights. Doesn't leave many time slots. I know a few teams were able to get their regional games on TV, but that appears to be more the exception than the rule. I don't think the Texas games, for instance, are on FSSW, either (judging by my Directv guide). The only team I can find on the regional networks for today is Florida State. The other problem being, other than day 1, nobody knows when teams will be playing until a day or less before.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Frogs On A Plane @ Jun 6 2010, 08:39 AM) [snapback]569390[/snapback]

Then there's the Houston Chronicle. Headline this morning from our regional: "Baylor Ousts Lamar"

Houston Frog

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jun 6 2010, 10:32 AM) [snapback]569436[/snapback]
Then there's the Houston Chronicle. Headline this morning from our regional: "Baylor Ousts Lamar"

Lamar is just outside of Houston

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 10:53 AM) [snapback]569441[/snapback]
Lamar is just outside of Houston

Yea, I live in Houston. Beaumont is about 90 miles away, not exactly a suburb.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jun 6 2010, 11:02 AM) [snapback]569450[/snapback]
Yea, I live in Houston. Beaumont is about 90 miles away, not exactly a suburb.

But my point is, I bet a lot of people in Beaumont get the Chronicle... they're just updating their readers on their local team

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The Barnicle considers TCU to be on Mars for all the coverage we get. As do the local TV types. TCU simply is not on their radar.

No matter how many local kids from the Houston area are stars on a Top 10 team in Texas, there are only the Usual Suspects that get air/print time.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 11:13 AM) [snapback]569455[/snapback]
But my point is, I bet a lot of people in Beaumont get the Chronicle... they're just updating their readers on their local team

Exactly my problem with the Comical. For the only paper in a large international city, they are just too regional in scope. Mapquest drives their headlines.

QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 6 2010, 09:00 AM) [snapback]569396[/snapback]
FSN's problem is most of them also have local MLB rights. Doesn't leave many time slots. I know a few teams were able to get their regional games on TV, but that appears to be more the exception than the rule. I don't think the Texas games, for instance, are on FSSW, either (judging by my Directv guide). The only team I can find on the regional networks for today is Florida State. The other problem being, other than day 1, nobody knows when teams will be playing until a day or less before.

That would be DTV Ch. 655. It just says FSU vs TBD from 1-7. I think it was the Sunshine Network the other day that had the Florida/Bethune Cookman game. The feed from th UT game looked like it was on a cable access channel. But I'm surprised, like FOAP, that FSN hasn't picked up some of the games. They showed ACC games all year. I bet I saw Miami about 12 times.