• The KillerFrogs

How big is yours?

Paul in uhh

Looking at getting a traeger or something similar, mostly because I love the baby but not the birthing process, when it comes to smoked meats.

Do you have one? How big is it? I assume the larger ones burn through the pellets very quickly. And where do you get your pellets from?

steelfrog

Ticket Exchange Pass
Save your money and time, and get better food, by driving over there and sampling the wares of Travis and Emma Heims.

You're welcome.

steelfrog

Ticket Exchange Pass
As a resident of Tarrant I have patronized their establishment many times. $70 for lunch with the spouse is a bit much and I have bbq needs
Steell understands. So you're gonna spend $700 on a Traeger, and then almost $70 on the meat you buy assuming you buy good quality meat which, why wouldn't you? You ain't saving money on this thing. Just admit it, you got some money burning a hole in your pocket and you have romantic ideas about out-bbq'ing Travis.

Paul in uhh

Steell understands. So you're gonna spend $700 on a Traeger, and then almost $70 on the meat you buy assuming you buy good quality meat which, why wouldn't you? You ain't saving money on this thing. Just admit it, you got some money burning a hole in your pocket and you have romantic ideas about out-bbq'ing Travis.
I do

netty2424

Have a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone Prime. I guess they’ve changed the name to Prime Ledge.

It’s been great for me. Like you, I enjoy my sleep and it’s easy to throw something on overnight and let it work for you.

I compared the Traeger and the GMG offers more for the price, two shelves being the primary difference. The shelves on the Traegers are options, or they were when I bought mine.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/prime/ledge/

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Large BGE
I'll always recommend a large BGE, but I also have experience smoking and cooking on my dad's Traeger. And over the last couple years not a single person has complained or had a negative word to say about the result of anything I've cooked on that grill (we do a lot of family and holiday get togethers at my dad's because of his swimming pool). However, as much as I love the convenience of the pellet smoker, and it does do a great job of adding a nice smoke ring, the taste isn't on the same level as the ceramic eggs. Yes I can get the pellet smoker up and running to temp in a matter of 10-15 minutes, where the egg takes 30-40 minutes (depending on the fuel) to get to cooking temp. But when you're working on a 6-8 hour cook what's an extra 15-20 minutes of prep time if the results are going to be more enjoyable? One area I do love the pellet smoker for is a typical backyard grill with burgers and dogs (or brats). Being able to quickly get the grill up to temp and ready to cook is fantastic, but it's not going to be as versatile or offer a better tasting result than a traditional smoker or egg.

For instance, tonight we cooked pizzas on the egg at over 600ºF—something you'll never be able to do with a pellet smoker. After lighting the charcoal (I use a looftlighter) I went inside to cook some sausage and bacon for the pizzas and rolled out the dough for my wife and kids. By the time my first kid was done building their pizza the grill was at 600º and ready to go. Pizzas took 4-5 minutes each and were amazing. However, if you're not going to cook at high temps (like pizza, or rather don't mind pizzas taking a longer time to cook sans the brick over style crust the egg produces), really hate keeping bags of charcoal around, and want the grill to be ready to go before you finish your first beer, then the pellet smoker is a fantastic product (my dad has the older Gen 1 Pro 34). I have comfortably cooked four racks of pork ribs at the same time and the grill is big enough to accommodate a large brisket.

Traeger makes a good, solid grill, but I'd just suggest that you make sure you're okay with the trade offs of going to a pellet grill.

Realtorfrog

Weatherford grill sales has many options. And a large selection of pellets. I prefer one with a searing area. And I can give you about 17 better places than Heim

Frozen Frog

I have a RecTeq. Mine would be equivalent to their 700 series not. It is a solid cooker. I burn through about pound to maybe 2 per hour. That really depends on the pellets. I try to buy mine from BBQ Galore. Buying cheap pellets is where I would venture most go wrong. The cheap ones just fill it with ash and don't produce great flavor. They also burn a lot faster. It really ends up being about $1-3 per hour which really isn't too bad. The shorter cooks and those in cold weather tend to be closer to the $3 range. Long cooks in Texas tend to be cheaper.

My parents have a Big Green Egg. I probably cook on it more than anyone. I love it for grilling. I haven't used it for anything else. The cooking space on them is relatively small for some stuff especially given the upfront price.

Forget what everyone says about going to some overpriced BBQ joint. Seriously most are overpriced! It might take you several years to get your investment back on a good pellet grill or BGE, but it is worth it. It is worth the convenience for when you have people over or need to cook for a large group. A large part of the fun is experimenting on your own.

As for size I would tell you to think of the biggest you think you will need and then go a size up. I've run out of room a few times on mine, but I also planned for it way in advance. I was also doing 2 briskets, 2 pork butts, and 3-4 racks of ribs for a party. Several years ago I cooked 6 turkeys over 2-3 shifts on it for Thanksgiving at a shelter.

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

It’s brisket night in Texas!

aSdyzrL.jpg

vicarfrog

I have a good ol' 22' Weber Kettle with 4 bricks pushed to one side for off-set style and grill grate that is hinged. I love it. I can put 1 brisket on or 2 pork shoulders and can even utilize the lower grate.

And I love charcoal. It's clean. It's consistent.

mc1502

Can’t go wrong with a large BGE when you pair it with a Flame Boss. I can keep mine within a 4 - 5 degree range for 18 hours (assuming I’m smoking in the 225 degree range). I love my egg.