• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

SIAP

https://theathletic.com/news/big-12...u-ucf-cincinnati-houston-sources/5CZvjXPK0mL1

BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston are the four schools that have been most seriously discussed and are considered the leading contenders, sources said. The Athletic previously reported the Big 12 was seriously considering BYU as a potential addition early on in this process.

If the athletic directors and presidents of the league’s eight remaining members can reach a consensus on which members to invite, sources believe it’s possible that the process could move faster than initially anticipated. The ADs of the Big 12’s remaining schools met with commissioner Bob Bowlsby in Dallas on Tuesday and Wednesday to begin planning the future of the conference.

Wexahu

SIAP

https://theathletic.com/news/big-12...u-ucf-cincinnati-houston-sources/5CZvjXPK0mL1

BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston are the four schools that have been most seriously discussed and are considered the leading contenders, sources said. The Athletic previously reported the Big 12 was seriously considering BYU as a potential addition early on in this process.

If the athletic directors and presidents of the league’s eight remaining members can reach a consensus on which members to invite, sources believe it’s possible that the process could move faster than initially anticipated. The ADs of the Big 12’s remaining schools met with commissioner Bob Bowlsby in Dallas on Tuesday and Wednesday to begin planning the future of the conference.

Don't think I'd rush the process. Maybe make an announcement, but not have it kick in until 2024-25? Not sure about all the consequences of that but I hate letting UT and OU walk early.

SIAP

Cliff notes:

- BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, Houston are the early top 4

- BYU being looked at as football only too

- Houston: Big push to put politics aside, they are seen as a key asset by the ADs

- Things are accelerating with lots of work to go

GSR opinion: Yep, feeling pretty good so far! All of this is as I had heard or anticipated. It also helps that the conference did the most leg work on these four schools back three years ago, so they know them. USF, Memphis, and Boise will get their time in the sun too.

Timeline and predictions feeling very solid.

Cliff notes:

- Houston: Big push to put politics aside, they are seen as a key asset by the ADs

GSR opinion: Yep, feeling pretty good so far! All of this is as I had heard or anticipated. It also helps that the conference did the most leg work on these four schools back three years ago, so they know them. USF, Memphis, and Boise will get their time in the sun too.

It is not clear from the article if BYU as football only is a conjecture of the writer or if a source fed that to him.

MAcFroggy

Any subscribers to The Athletic with thoughts on their content? Feels like they have a lot of content across sports based on headlines I see, but is it good

100% worth it. I would probably continue paying even if they doubled the price. They have great national CFB coverage and phenomenal coverage of the local dallas pro teams. They have great national writers for MLB and NBA (especially MLB). The premier league content is also very good IMO.

Not a ton of TCU content, but I can get all of that from here, twitter, and 247.

MAcFroggy

Cliff notes:

I feel like this not only gets us the best possible brands available, but it would also cripple the AAC. I hate to do that, but it is time to eat or be eaten.

Wexahu

I feel like this not only gets us the best possible brands available, but it would also cripple the AAC. I hate to do that, but it is time to eat or be eaten.

Yes, there would be a very large gap between the new Big 12 and the leftover AAC. As big a gap as there has ever been between the "major" conferences and everyone else. The MWC and AAC teams would form some merger I would imagine.

And the new Big 12 could have a couple teams picked off and still be far and away the 5th best league.

TCU/ Baylor. Cincinnati/W Virginia. Houston/UCF in the east and Texas Tech/Oklahoma State. Kansas/Kansas State. Iowa State/BYU. In the west. That’s your new Big12. Yep that’s what I think! Thanks.
Dividing into divisions may be difficult but hopefully not divisive in a conference with four Texas schools. Maybe most want to play in Texas, or Florida. Maybe BYU brings some balance to a western or northern division. No longer a true college conference - divisions immediately divide - a member or two may be dissatisfied. Maybe 12 is better than 14 in that regard, or 14 could balance things out better based on geography. Mr. Fertitta will want his way - maybe we should be more concerned about him than BYU, haha

Last edited:

hiphopfroggy

Divisions may be difficult in a conference with four Texas schools. Maybe most want to play in Texas, or Florida. BYU brings some balance to a western or northern division. No longer a true conference - divisions immediately divide - a member or two or more likely dissatisfied. Maybe 12 is better than 14 in that regard. I don’t like divisions or divisiveness. Mr. Fertitta will want his way - maybe we should be more concerned about him than BYU, haha

If either UH or BYU are acting disagreeable in the slightest they can go kick rocks.