• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

vicarfrog

That’s the plan… compete yourselves to national relevance, and try to play big games in big markets.

Keep in mind re: markets, nobody is talking about U of Houston and the Houston market because they think UofH dominates the fandom or attention of the city… of course not! What you want is to have a strong, competitive U of H playing big games on Saturday nights in Houston. Think #12 Houston vs #15 Texas Tech in Houston… That’s a big game in a big market, and being in that big market helps juice the viewership overall as it WILL deliver more eyeballs than you think from Houston to the overall viewership #s Nielsen puts out. Even a #5 ranked TCU playing a big road game in Houston vs an unranked Houston would work to this benefit, just less so.

You’d rather play that game in Houston, or Tampa, than for instance… Fort Collins.

Makes a ton of sense and has the potentiality for long term success!

You're right. Texas really controlled that game last year. Not sure how they didn't win. And of course this is even with TCU intentionally losing like 30 yards at the end of the game when they took the safety.

View attachment 9445
The high number of Frog penalties, 14 for 101 yards here in this big game, is something that has annoyed the last few years. Meanwhile I have noticed Matt Campbell’s team has had as few as two or three in a game. A good indicator of motivating his players to be team first, and of being a good coach. I would bet Iowa State has had the fewest penalties in the conference over the last two seasons. Probably low turnovers too.

Not intended to disparage Patterson, I am a fan, just wish Frogs could clean that up.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

That’s the plan… compete yourselves to national relevance, and try to play big games in big markets.

Keep in mind re: markets, nobody is talking about U of Houston and the Houston market because they think UofH dominates the fandom or attention of the city… of course not! What you want is to have a strong, competitive U of H playing big games on Saturday nights in Houston. Think #12 Houston vs #15 Texas Tech in Houston… That’s a big game in a big market, and being in that big market helps juice the viewership overall as it WILL deliver more eyeballs than you think from Houston to the overall viewership #s Nielsen puts out. Even a #5 ranked TCU playing a big road game in Houston vs an unranked Houston would work to this benefit, just less so.

You’d rather play that game in Houston, or Tampa, than for instance… Fort Collins.
I get what you're saying but having even a hypothetical scenario where Texas Tech is ranked #15 in the country makes me question your current mental state. Are you getting enough sleep? Do you feel more stress than usual? Do you sometimes close your eyes and wonder what your place is in the world?

SuperTFrog

I get what you're saying but having even a hypothetical scenario where Texas Tech is ranked #15 in the country makes me question your current mental state. Are you getting enough sleep? Do you feel more stress than usual? Do you sometimes close your eyes and wonder what your place is in the world?
In unrelated news, the last time Tech won more than 8 games was in 2009. They are 64-71 in that time period and that includes a ton of cream puff non conference games. They are awful!

Frozen Frog

I don't have a problem adding Texas schools, but it needs to have purpose. One of my biggest issues with UH is the lack of ability to retain coaches. Every time a new coach arrives and does well they leave for a better job. That roller coaster isn't helpful for the Big 12. I would also ask what UH brings that SMU doesn't? Baseball? The arguments some people seem to be making about UH almost make Rice look like a better option.

Going to FL might make some sense especially for WVU. That was always where WVU thrived with recruiting. I don't know if adding BYU or Boise for football only moves the needle that much. Cinci and Memphis are intriguing. They are urban schools that could help with some television numbers.

My gut still tells me the Pac 12 is going to do something. They said no to expansion at this time. That doesn't mean it is a no in the future. This alliance could also create problems for the SEC if it moves forward. I think the SEC is going to have to make another move to counter.

I also still think a lot of schools need to reevaluate the role football plays on its campus. There are more than a few schools I think would benefit by dropping to FCS.

I don't have a problem adding Texas schools, but it needs to have purpose. One of my biggest issues with UH is the lack of ability to retain coaches. Every time a new coach arrives and does well they leave for a better job. That roller coaster isn't helpful for the Big 12. I would also ask what UH brings that SMU doesn't? Baseball?

I wish we would have been able to retain our coaches better also, but I am glad that we were good enough as a program to have our coaches be sought after. The alternative means your football program likely sucks.

Your coach Paterson has a unique contract, if I am not mistaken that incentivized him staying long term.

We lost coaches to 3 programs over the last 2 decades to Baylor (Briles), Texas ATM (Sumlin) and UT (Herman).

ATM recently approached Sampson, but he isn’t going anywhere.

What do we offer over SMU? Pretty much better in every metric except maybe USNWR ranking, but I don’t really think that is going to be a factor in this realignment.

This will be 90% about trying to squeeze every nickel out of the upcoming media negotiations, and 10% making sure you pair that with the better football and basketball programs possible.

hiphopfroggy

SDSU_Aztec_Stadium_Rendering-cropped.jpg

https://aztecstadium.com

RG4JD2HBMBDJTPP3DRXDQZ2VIU.jpg

https://nased.hawaii.gov

hiphopfroggy

I believe Hawaii had 2 games on national television last year with just over 2mm views. That is over 1mm per which I believe is better than most teams in the Big12 or Pac12 or ACC.

mc1502

Wow! To me that would be a conference that would be bad to the bone. Disrespected at first, but able to punch other conferences right in the mouth.

As a wise philosopher once said, all I want is a conference full of football teams that can rip the opponent’s heads off and [ Finebaum ] down their necks.

hiphopfroggy

The benefit of adding Hawai'i is an extra game, https://fbschedules.com/the-hawaii-exemption. Plus awesome road trips.

Yea the extra game and going to Hawaii every other year would be great! Plus there is a lot of top talent coming from Hawaii, so if they could get 'promoted' and keep guys like Mariota and Tua then they are going to be really, really good. And they don't need to dip into Texas recruiting to do so.