• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

I am concerned that our own sour fans may become TCU’s worst enemy! Sheesh. The new Big 12 will be fine if we hold and add the 2-6 best teams. We need the enthusiasm of MWC days. The new Big 12 will better the MWC. We have a role as influencers and people and recruits are watching.
The fans will come around. I do think the league will be fun and competitive. The alliance stabilizing the landscape will allow the league to regain its footing. The money will take a hit, but as long as the basic structure exists (in particular, the 85 man scholly limit), I don't see the on the field product getting affected as much as people assume.

Wexahu

The fans will come around. I do think the league will be fun and competitive. The alliance stabilizing the landscape will allow the league to regain its footing. The money will take a hit, but as long as the basic structure exists (in particular, the 85 man scholly limit), I don't see the on the field product getting affected as much as people assume.

It can be a solid league, but only if there is some stability and all the programs are committed to it, which I highly doubt will be the case.

There was nothing wrong with the Big 12 at all, except two members who didn't want to be a part of it. And I think in this new Big 12, we'll have about 6 or more members who consider themselves above the league and are going to jump ship at the first opportunity. That's the problem. It'll be an annual discussion point among the more attractive league members, and it's going to weaken the perception of the league even more. I'm admittedly cynical with what's going on in college football right now, but I just don't see many attractive alternatives being thrown out there.

punter9

Honestly this thing is being played well by all parties. Surprisingly well even given all the different groups involved.

no need to expand the pac 12. Hold ESPNs feet to the fire why give them an out by taking teams from the 8. They’ll think about expanding it after Texas and ou leave, and fox will need to put up or shut up.

they’d have a really strong card to play if they considered switching to ESPN at any point. Could collapse b12 and mitigate what ESPN owes as well. High value, but you have to prove it’s a card by grinding it out.

b12 shouldn’t and won’t expand. The job is to keep Texas and ou in as long as possible. Only add teams after everything is certain.

and we get to see gp write his final sonnet over these years and land us in a good power conference when these cards slowly unfold. Not an easy task with nil portal and a perceived dead conference.

we’ve got our chip back! Time to get excited

CountryFrog

It can be a solid league, but only if there is some stability and all the programs are committed to it, which I highly doubt will be the case.

There was nothing wrong with the Big 12 at all, except two members who didn't want to be a part of it. And I think in this new Big 12, we'll have about 6 or more members who consider themselves above the league and are going to jump ship at the first opportunity. That's the problem. It'll be an annual discussion point among the more attractive league members, and it's going to weaken the perception of the league even more. I'm admittedly cynical with what's going on in college football right now, but I just don't see many attractive alternatives being thrown out there.
Lot of truth in this but I'm not sure that makes the Big 12 any different from any other conference outside of the SEC and maybe the Big 10. All the alliances in the world won't stop Clemson and FSU from going to the SEC at some point if there's interest and then things will really get crazy.

Wexahu

Honestly this thing is being played well by all parties. Surprisingly well even given all the different groups involved.

no need to expand the pac 12. Hold ESPNs feet to the fire why give them an out by taking teams from the 8. They’ll think about expanding it after Texas and ou leave, and fox will need to put up or shut up.

they’d have a really strong card to play if they considered switching to ESPN at any point. Could collapse b12 and mitigate what ESPN owes as well. High value, but you have to prove it’s a card by grinding it out.

b12 shouldn’t and won’t expand. The job is to keep Texas and ou in as long as possible. Only add teams after everything is certain.

and we get to see gp write his final sonnet over these years and land us in a good power conference when these cards slowly unfold. Not an easy task with nil portal and a perceived dead conference.

we’ve got our chip back! Time to get excited

Just saw that the college football board (whatever that is) is gonna vote no on playoff expansion. That’s a positive. Keep it at 4, and let the SEC cannibalize each other.

Yeah I do think any team will leave if given the chance so it will inherently be less stable. That’s why the alliance is a probably a good thing for the Big 12 stability.

Wexahu

Not sure this is exactly a positive revelation…

Sure it is. You think all those SEC teams are gonna like only 1 or 2 teams making the playoffs every year?

If you don’t like the direction college football is heading right now, you don’t want playoff expansion. It’s only gonna accelerate all the bad stuff that’s going on.

Frozen Frog

Right now is probably the worst scenario for TCU and the other Big 12 schools. I don't think it is full doomsday, but it is bad. I still think the Pac 12 expands eventually, but the road just got murkier.

The alliance is going to make it hard for Big 12 schools to schedule games of substance. The SEC doesn't like playing on the road! They prefer to play FCS and low level G5 teams. Neutral sites may be the Big 12 schools best bet. If this alliance moves forward I could see it preventing those schools from scheduling against the Big 12.

I think the Big 12 has 3 acceptable options. The first is to stay at 8 when OUT occurs. I almost prefer this option. It is still a good conference. The next is to grab the best available whoever that may be right now. Who knows what they will add today or in the future. This might be my least favorite. I think the third route is to just go regional with travel and focus on bus trip style games. Eventually I think the Big 12 dissolves, and not adding teams to the mix is probably my preferred choice. I believe more expansion is coming, and a small Big 12/8 makes the most sense.

Right now is probably the worst scenario for TCU and the other Big 12 schools. I don't think it is full doomsday, but it is bad. I still think the Pac 12 expands eventually, but the road just got murkier.

The alliance is going to make it hard for Big 12 schools to schedule games of substance. The SEC doesn't like playing on the road! They prefer to play FCS and low level G5 teams. Neutral sites may be the Big 12 schools best bet. If this alliance moves forward I could see it preventing those schools from scheduling against the Big 12.

I think the Big 12 has 3 acceptable options. The first is to stay at 8 when OUT occurs. I almost prefer this option. It is still a good conference. The next is to grab the best available whoever that may be right now. Who knows what they will add today or in the future. This might be my least favorite. I think the third route is to just go regional with travel and focus on bus trip style games. Eventually I think the Big 12 dissolves, and not adding teams to the mix is probably my preferred choice. I believe more expansion is coming, and a small Big 12/8 makes the most sense.
I do think the alliance is going to make it harder to schedule nonconference.

Frozen Frog

I also think the amount of silence coming from TCU is quite loud. When the Mountain West fell apart several individuals seemed unusually quiet or lackadaisical. I almost get the sense that someone knows something that they aren't saying from TCU. That is probably the best move for TCU. So many schools go about whining while TCU focuses on handling its business quietly.

(Gordon Gee's) latest comments also lead me to believe something major is about to happen. If the playoff doesn't expand there has to be bigger reason. His reasons right now feel like a cover for something bigger.

HG73

Note if I wasn’t clear: I’m in no way saying this is the ONLY possibility. This was just me thinking through this current lens of the future and putting down my assumptions. Took about an hour, lots of revisions. I’m sure it’s going to be all wrong, but there are reasons for each item.

If the PAC announces it’s open to expanding Friday, then I’m an idiot and most of this won’t come true. Such is life. Just figured I’d put it out there to be helpful, help folks think a bit end-to-end (including me) as there’s lots of downstream variables to consider. Given the feedback, I’ll probably refrain in the future. All good, probably for the best, safer for sure.
PLEASE DON'T REFRAIN. We really appreciate your insight.

CountryFrog

Anyone talking about staying at 8 teams - That's NOT an option. The Big 12 will add at least 2 teams or more regardless of personal preferences.

In regards to the playoff expansion being voted no. That no vote was only for the current proposal. Playoff expansion is still what every conference wants and it will be coming. The alliance 3 just want to have a more prominent role in structuring it as opposed to the original proposal that was driven by the SEC and Big 12.

Planks

North Division:

ISU
WVU
BYU
Cinci
KU
KSU

South Division:

OSU
TCU
BU
TTU
UCF
UH

I posted this earlier in the thread, but if you add USF and Boise State to the group you have listed, you could have a nice, geographically balanced zipper format for the divisions. Every school would have 1 permanent cross over rival, similar to what the SEC does.

Div A - Div B
TCU - BU
Tech - UH
ISU - OSU
KU - KSU
WVU - Cinn
USF - UCF
Boise - BYU

I think this would make for a much more balanced division format than a traditional North/South or East/West format.

Last edited:

Eight

Anyone talking about staying at 8 teams - That's NOT an option. The Big 12 will add at least 2 teams or more regardless of personal preferences.

In regards to the playoff expansion being voted no. That no vote was only for the current proposal. Playoff expansion is still what every conference wants and it will be coming. The alliance 3 just want to have a more prominent role in structuring it as opposed to the original proposal that was driven by the SEC and Big 12.

not sure why most of this seems to be escaping some.

the big 12 will add new schools when OUT finally does leave and if other schools including tcu have not left for other conferences

the vote on the cfp is not a final decision for all times so things will play out but in time

as to whether the alliance works, stays together, leads to other things etc.... we will need to wait and see because we have just got to the start of this season and hopefully that means the end of the click bait tweets and stories on this for some time

Froggish

8 Teams is NOT a contractual option.

CountryFrog

not sure why most of this seems to be escaping some.

the big 12 will add new schools when OUT finally does leave and if other schools including tcu have not left for other conferences

the vote on the cfp is not a final decision for all times so things will play out but in time

as to whether the alliance works, stays together, leads to other things etc.... we will need to wait and see because we have just got to the start of this season and hopefully that means the end of the click bait tweets and stories on this for some time
I would say the alliance has a 1, maybe 2 year lifespan. Until something is actually put on paper and signed (and as we know even signed agreements don't actually do anything beyond imposing some type of financial penalty) then this is nothing but a temporary PR move to try and counter the SEC aggression.

If/when the Big 10 wants to expand then their only real candidates are Notre Dame and the top ACC/PAC schools. I don't think anyone actually believes that the Big 10 response to the SEC grabbing Texas and Oklahoma will be to add Kansas and Iowa St. That's laughable. If they want to respond then they will respond in kind with actual power programs. And this alliance will be as meaningful to them as the non-aggression pact between the Nazis and Soviet Union.

And to clarify the 1-2 year lifespan. I'm not saying that the Big 10 will start expanding again in a year or two. I have no idea when that will actually happen or if it will happen. It just won't happen in the next 12-24 months. And the alliance itself only exists with any relevance as long as the Big 10 wants it to.