• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

https://sicem365.com/s/10313/stop-the-slander-aac-tv-viewership-doesn't-equal-to-the-big-12-remains.
Here's another article on the TV ratings for the remaining Big 12 teams v. AAC teams. It's pretty thorough and is favorable to the remaining teams, if you're interested. It's mostly a response to the Stewart Mandel hit piece from several days ago.

A little better, still not doing the hard work to get to a true COMP YoY but that's ok.

His thesis is correct. Big 12 is in a better position than the AAC by far. Big 12, if left untouched, will be in a great position to build a best-of-the-rest league. This isn't anyone's 1A plan, but its a fair backup plan.

LVH

Weird Question but wouldn't scheduling large fanbase State schools help TCU's viewership numbers more than anything. Getting back to 8 conference games would allow TCU to add 2 large OOC games against P4 schools...

If so, wouldn't it be smart for TCU to get on the phone with OU, UT, and A&M and try to lock in OOC games with each of them post 2025? Maybe replace SMU on the schedule with one of those three schools?

Yes...I know they might not want to play us OOC

I doubt they would want to play us, and if they did, they would be one way, one off games

HG73

I really dont think Fox is going to pick no market share in TX vs. TX minority share, that just doesn't make sense to me
I agree. No way Fox cedes the state of Texas to the ESPN. Fox either makes PAC a deal to take some Texas teams or gives the 8 a decent TV deal. If, as Bowlsby says, OUT are half the TV deal then the other Texas teams are pretty solid viewing considering how big the Texas market is.

https://sicem365.com/s/10313/stop-the-slander-aac-tv-viewership-doesn't-equal-to-the-big-12-remains.
Here's another article on the TV ratings for remaining Big 12 teams v. AAC teams. It's pretty thorough and is favorable to the remaining teams, if you're interested. It's mostly a response to the Stewart Mandel hit piece from several days ago.
This is an excellent analysis that does a good job controlling for several variables that are usually ignored in "TV ratings" comparisons.

Nick Danger

I doubt they would want to play us, and if they did, they would be one way, one off games
While I agree that those specific "top tier" schools wouldn't want to play us, there are still a number of other 2nd tier P4 schools, that won't be part of any of the anticipated "marquee match-up" games emanating from this proposed Alliance, or even from the newly expanded SEC "made-for-TV" match-up games, that would be willing to schedule more noteworthy non-conference opponents.

See TCU vs Cal., TCU vs Stanford, TCU vs Colorado, TCU vs Arkansas, and TCU vs Purdue, as examples.

Last edited:

TCU Vagabond

patience, the move by OUT (all proceeds and recognition should be given to peacefrog) didn't happen over night and the next moves aren't going to happen quickly as well.
You’re right, I’m just tired of these west coast media markets acting like some minority share in TX is a waste of their time. Who do you think you are? Beggars can’t be choosers and no P4 conference is more in a begging position than the Pac.

Said it before and I’ll say it again. How on earth can you be comfortable if you have the worst TV times, worst on field product and least amount of teams?

Eight

You’re right, I’m just tired of these west coast media markets acting like some minority share in TX is a waste of their time. Who do you think you are? Beggars can’t be choosers and no P4 conference is more in a begging position than the Pac.

Said it before and I’ll say it again. How on earth can you be comfortable if you have the worst TV times, worst on field product and least amount of teams?

just remember that things are happening even if they aren't always visible and most of the social media chum tossed out right now is more about attracting clicks and reposts than being accurate and informative

TAINTed frog

Boschini's son liked this post on Instagram...

200w.gif

Jared7

This is an excellent analysis that does a good job controlling for several variables that are usually ignored in "TV ratings" comparisons.
Well, it does a good job of refuting the Stewart Mandel hit piece that came out on 7/27 which was designed to support ESPN's (alleged) efforts to lowball the Big 12 schools into precipitously jumping to the AAC in furtherance of their (alleged) agenda to utterly destroy the Big 12 and not have to pay their obligations pursuant to the Telecast Agreements. Mandel's cherry picked data from just 2 years that magically eliminated the TCU-Ohio State game that drew very high ratings was deliberately obfuscatory and misleading.

But this article has flaws as well. It also omits the Buckeye game, which that other study concluded that made TCU 24th best and higher than all Pac 12 teams other than USC. And omitting it very conveniently left Baylor just ahead of TCU in overall ratings. And it mentioned the TCU-ISU 2014 game and pointedly mentioned the Clones' 2-10 record while pointedly not mentioning that TCU was then ranked 3rd in the nation and, CFP Committee deliberations aside, seemed poised to make the first playoff ever. That's kind of typical for what is, in essence, a Baylor article.

Moreover, in comparing Big 12 ratings to just the AAC, it has sort of a kiddie pool aspect to it which would be better served by a comparison against, say, Pac 12 schools. But it's still the best of these sorts of articles yet.

MAcFroggy

His thesis is correct. Big 12 is in a better position than the AAC by far. Big 12, if left untouched, will be in a great position to build a best-of-the-rest league. This isn't anyone's 1A plan, but its a fair backup plan.

Yeah, I really think that is probably the end game for the remaining 8. Stay together and add the best of the rest. Will clearly not be the better than any of the other P5, but it will be head and shoulders above the other G5 conferences.

Last edited:

Froggish

They don’t see themselves as beggars and until they do, nothing is going to happen

Last edited:

netty2424

Weird Question but wouldn't scheduling large fanbase State schools help TCU's viewership numbers more than anything. Getting back to 8 conference games would allow TCU to add 2 large OOC games against P4 schools...

If so, wouldn't it be smart for TCU to get on the phone with OU, UT, and A&M and try to lock in OOC games with each of them post 2025? Maybe replace SMU on the schedule with one of those three schools?

Yes...I know they might not want to play us OOC
TCU should’ve had a blue blood on the schedule every season instead of the [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] we’ve had.

UT is dead to me, but say what you want about them, they’ve not backed down in scheduling blue bloods.

netty2424

They should have left the power house Maryland off their schedule…
Maryland isn’t a blue blood. But since you mentioned Maryland, they also had USC on the schedule both seasons they played Maryland.

2014: BYU and UCLA
2015: Notre Dame and Cal(not blue blood)
2016: Notre Dame and Cal(not blue blood)
2017: USC and Maryland(not blue blood)
2018: USC and Maryland(not blue blood)
2019: LSU
2020: Covid season
2021: Arkansas
2022: Alabama
2023: Alabama
2024: Michigan
2025: Ohio St
2026: Ohio St

Again, death to UT, but I hesitate putting our OOC in writing in comparison.

Frozen Frog

The SEC wall around Texas makes some sense. Adding all valid Texas schools controls the media market in the area. It also partially blocks out the other conferences from heavily recruiting Texas. I am highly skeptical with this conference shift. Why would Kansas not be included unless the Big Ten is adding them? I know their football team is bad. Their basketball team is the most overrated school in the country! They are still a draw.

Eight

The SEC wall around Texas makes some sense. Adding all valid Texas schools controls the media market in the area. It also partially blocks out the other conferences from heavily recruiting Texas. I am highly skeptical with this conference shift. Why would Kansas not be included unless the Big Ten is adding them? I know their football team is bad. Their basketball team is the most overrated school in the country! They are still a draw.

the sec already draws the majority of the college football talk in the gulf coast and i think with adding texas and ou they will do the same with the metroplex

as far as cutting off other schools from recruiting texas how do you do that? back when the swc was the only conference with major teams in texas and teams from all over took whatever talent they wanted out of the state

the sec got what they wanted in texas and ou and they don't need anything else