• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Horned Toad

Say none of the other P5 conferences expand. Our best bet is join with the other seven in the Big 12, add BYU (holding our nose) because of their viewership, add Boise, and then any two of the strongest G5 teams not in Texas and make it the strongest G5 conference there is so that if the CFP expands like the plan is, the Big 12 is perennially in the conversation and build the conference back from there.

FBallFan123

Just because the SEC expands, it does not mean the ACC, B1G, or Pac 12 have to expand too. If they do not think any of these schools add value, then I doubt they expand just for the sake of expansion.

If I had to guess, I bet we end up with the 8 big 12 schools staying together and adding Cincy, BYU (maybe football only), and a couple other schools (houston, memphis, SMU, UCF, or somebody along those lines.

That might be the end of expansion this go around in regards to the power conferences.

We end up in a far worse position that we are currently, but we would become a tweener conference between P5 and G5. If the playoff is expanded, then we would probably still have a path to the CFP.

Obviously, this is a terrible outcome, but much better than ISU/KU in B1G, WVU in ACC, some schools in the Pac 12, and us holding the bag.

TCU might actually end up having an easier path to an expanded playoff than it did with OU/UT in the Big 12.

Similar to when there was an easier path to the BCS out of the MWC.

asleep003

Just because the SEC expands, it does not mean the ACC, B1G, or Pac 12 have to expand too. If they do not think any of these schools add value, then I doubt they expand just for the sake of expansion.

If I had to guess, I bet we end up with the 8 big 12 schools staying together and adding Cincy, BYU (maybe football only), and a couple other schools (houston, memphis, SMU, UCF, or somebody along those lines.

That might be the end of expansion this go around in regards to the power conferences.

We end up in a far worse position that we are currently, but we would become a tweener conference between P5 and G5. If the playoff is expanded, then we would probably still have a path to the CFP.

Obviously, this is a terrible outcome, but much better than ISU/KU in B1G, WVU in ACC, some schools in the Pac 12, and us holding the bag.
None of this is close to probable, but anything could be possible. ....
TCU will end up in the P12 or ACC....

Last edited:

FBallFan123

After all the speculating that’s been done the last couple days (and will continue to be done) it wouldn’t shock me if the PAC eventually just said “nah, we’re good”.

It’s possible … on the other hand, the Pac 12 hasn’t won a national championship in football in over a decade, and it’s been two decades since they did it in basketball.

It’s become largely irrelevant in many of its own markets.

FBallFan123

He’s an absolute buffoon. I’ve never understood how he got where he is.

Is there a sports talk show host who isn’t?

I guess maybe Dan Pateick but I haven’t listened to him or any other sports talk host in years.

But you look around at the egos and paychecks some of these sports talk heads like SAS, Bayless, Cowherd, Rome have and it’s kind of astonishing sports media got to this point.

LVH

You are way too optimistic in this scenario. The reality is that they are crossing all the tripwires they need to cross in order to get their desired 24-32 team super organization of blue bloods and shut everyone else out.

There will be no 12 team playoff. You heard it here first. The blue bloods and big schools will set up a playoff to benefit them and them only.