• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Long Time Fan

Long Time Fan
Since everyone else is chiming in, I might as well.

I for one am excited to see where this new conference goes. I would anticipate the 12 schools of the new conference will be aligned in their vision. Even in 2012 I was always concerned that UT would eventually do what UT does, tear down something they think isn't worthy of them. During the years of the conference wilderness TCU was in from '98-2012, I loved the fact that WE carved out a brand for ourselves separate from UT or any other Texas school. It took hard work and dedicated people to make it work. I believe the new Big 12 can experience the exact same thing. We all have the chance to flourish away from UT and to a lesser extent OU.

I think the real value of the new Big 12 will be realized not in the next TV contract as of 2025, but the one after that. If this conference will create a vision and get the buy-in from all schools, the Big 12 can still be in the middle of payouts and prestige of the P5, in my opinion.

Should be a fun ride.

Go Frogs!!!

hiphopfroggy

Since everyone else is chiming in, I might as well.

I for one am excited to see where this new conference goes. I would anticipate the 12 schools of the new conference will be aligned in their vision. Even in 2012 I was always concerned that UT would eventually do what UT does, tear down something they think isn't worthy of them. During the years of the conference wilderness TCU was in from '98-2012, I loved the fact that WE carved out a brand for ourselves separate from UT or any other Texas school. It took hard work and dedicated people to make it work. I believe the new Big 12 can experience the exact same thing. We all have the chance to flourish away from UT and to a lesser extent OU.

I think the real value of the new Big 12 will be realized not in the next TV contract as of 2025, but the one after that. If this conference will create a vision and get the buy-in from all schools, the Big 12 can still be in the middle of payouts and prestige of the P5, in my opinion.

Should be a fun ride.

Go Frogs!!!

Iowa St or TCU making the playoffs before OUT occurs would go a long way towards building that cache.

Happy for the fans of these 4 new members. I remember what I felt like the day TCU got the invite and imagine they’re having similar emotions right now.
From a Coog friend who is as passionate as they get, a triple jumper at UH in the late 1980’s-90 – “Thanks for the invitation, B12. We really appreciate it and are very grateful. It will be an honor to be full standing members in such a great conference.”

Last edited:

The Bad Guy

I actually think this makes the conference stronger in a weird way and definitely more interesting and competitive. For us to beat OU (2x) in a season we almost have to have the perfect team and luck and OU has to be having a down year it seems.... now with them gone.... many teams in this conference could be battling for a CFP spot and I believe we will be more at the top of the pyramid in the new BIG 12 (fingers crossed).

jack the frog

I actually think this makes the conference stronger in a weird way and definitely more interesting and competitive. For us to beat OU (2x) in a season we almost have to have the perfect team and luck and OU has to be having a down year it seems.... now with them gone.... many teams in this conference could be battling for a CFP spot and I believe we will be more at the top of the pyramid in the new BIG 12 (fingers crossed).

Feels pretty good being associated with schools that want you and are excited to be part of the group also. Let’s see what we can build with a group on equal partners. I think the writing has been on the wall for some time with the Rutgers of the world getting premier invites for nothing but student body size and TV eye proximity and Texas showing no interest in the things that would have made the conference bigger and better.