• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas makes Patterson hiring official

4th. down

Disappointed in Patterson. He could get a position like this anywhere, or another head coaching job somewhere, but not at Texas. Again, I feel like he is just giving TCU the finger. I hope so much we kick their asses.

For sure, it was the middle finger.

I would suspect that the TCU Administration will limit standing room only at 5K for 11/12/22. This game, along with the Rose, Peach, Alamo, & Utah '09 as one of our all time greats.

Sangria Wine

Remember that time Jerry Jones fired Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys perpetually wandered through the NFL abyss? Man I hope that’s not what we are embarking on. We’ve all spent a lot of emotion/involvement/cash getting to a place where firing Gary Patterson made sense to enough people in power for them to go through with it.

Obviously a lot of folks who supported this decision are concerned as hell or they wouldn’t give a rip where the fired coach goes to work next. I mean if he sucks so bad you should be glad he went to Texas so he can destroy their program. What’s better than the terrible coach going to the school you hate most to further mess them up?

Big Frog II

Remember that time Jerry Jones fired Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys perpetually wandered through the NFL abyss? Man I hope that’s not what we are embarking on. We’ve all spent a lot of emotion/involvement/cash getting to a place where firing Gary Patterson made sense to enough people in power for them to go through with it.

Obviously a lot of folks who supported this decision are concerned as hell or they wouldn’t give a rip where the fired coach goes to work next. I mean if he sucks so bad you should be glad he went to Texas so he can destroy their program. What’s better than the terrible coach going to the school you hate most to further mess them up?
We don't have Jerry Jones running the show.

Sangria Wine

We don't have Jerry Jones running the show.
We have big whigs and/or others in control who believe they know better how to fix the recent downturn with our historically successful football program than our legendary coach who has a statue outside the stadium. Forgive me, but I see some parallels…

Frog-in-law1995

We have big whigs and/or others in control who believe they know better how to fix the recent downturn with our historically successful football program than our legendary coach who has a statue outside the stadium. Forgive me, but I see some parallels…

I think you’re forgetting to compare Jimmy’s last 3 years with GP’s last 3 years.

TAINTed frog

Jimmy Johnson was fired after winning a Super Bowl…

These two things are not remotely parallel.

Sangria Wine

Non-football people making football decisions. That’s the parallel I was focused on. And fear for the same outcome as a result. I damn sure hope that doesn’t happen to the Frogs.

OICU812

Gary at this stage is a LOT closer to Tom Landry at the end of his career, than to JJ in his prime. We’re you mad when Landry was fired?

Sangria Wine

How else do you fire a poorly performing coach?
Well, let’s start by saying that 99% of coaches who are getting fired have a poor overall record and no history of winning at said program. They’ve usually been there a few years and not been able to win or show improvement. Then you have the 1% where a coach has a hall of fame level career history, is the face of the program, etc and the program hits a rocky streak for a few years. In the 99% situation you do what TCU did and shove the guy out and get started salvaging the program in advance of the signing period. In the 1% situation I personally would give the guy a chance to correct the course and get things rolling again until he had thrown his hands up. I don’t think a few off years means the guy has suddenly become a bad coach, crazy, out of touch, or any of the other descriptions posters on here have given about GP.

I had no interest in going down this rabbit hole again, I was simply drawing a parallel you may not see, but that struck me having watched yet another great Cowboy roster get its ass kicked last week when it probably should have been at least in the NFC championship game.

Posters on here so wrapped up in what GP chooses to do next and who think he owed it to them to not go to Texas show their own concern over his ability to do a great job and ultimately cause regret in booting him. You don’t feel that way about a [ Finebaum ]ty, washed up, crazy, has-been coach…

Endless Purple

Oh the fictional narrative that has now been made up and growing about how our AD and Chancellor were telling our HC how to be a better coach for “years” and he was not listening….
You guys are as bad as the reporters that tell each other rumors and then quote each other as sources….
What does this have to do with my post?

Sangria Wine

Gary at this stage is a LOT closer to Tom Landry at the end of his career, than to JJ in his prime. We’re you mad when Landry was fired?
I wasn’t…but I was also young and dumb (13 years old) so I’m not sure that would be a good measuring stick for me. I appreciate the analogy though and can see the potential parallel.

Sangria Wine

Since the start of the BCS era in 1998, there have been a total of 11 schools win a national championship. SEVEN of their coaches went on to be fired.
Who are the coaches who got fired and which of the programs who fired their championship winning coach has since gone back to win another championship?

Frog-in-law1995

Well, let’s start by saying that 99% of coaches who are getting fired have a poor overall record and no history of winning at said program. They’ve usually been there a few years and not been able to win or show improvement. Then you have the 1% where a coach has a hall of fame level career history, is the face of the program, etc and the program hits a rocky streak for a few years. In the 99% situation you do what TCU did and shove the guy out and get started salvaging the program in advance of the signing period. In the 1% situation I personally would give the guy a chance to correct the course and get things rolling again until he had thrown his hands up. I don’t think a few off years means the guy has suddenly become a bad coach, crazy, out of touch, or any of the other descriptions posters on here have given about GP.

I had no interest in going down this rabbit hole again, I was simply drawing a parallel you may not see, but that struck me having watched yet another great Cowboy roster get its ass kicked last week when it probably should have been at least in the NFC championship game.

Posters on here so wrapped up in what GP chooses to do next and who think he owed it to them to not go to Texas show their own concern over his ability to do a great job and ultimately cause regret in booting him. You don’t feel that way about a [ #2020 ]ty, washed up, crazy, has-been coach…

Whether GP deserved to be fired is completely irrelevant. You expressed concern about “non-football people making football decisions” vis-a-vis firing a coach, but you are failing to realize that that’s how every coach gets fired. By an administrator or front office executive.

And incidentally, why you choose to compare GP‘s firing to Jimmy’s rather than to Landry’s is beyond me. I mean, I don’t think you could find a better analogy in this situation than Landry.

Actually, I take it back. I think it’s perfectly obvious why you’re using the comparison you chose.

Sangria Wine

Whether GP deserved to be fired is completely irrelevant. You expressed concern about “non-football people making football decisions” vis-a-vis firing a coach, but you are failing to realize that that’s how every coach gets fired. By an administrator or front office executive.

And incidentally, why you choose to compare GP‘s firing to Jimmy’s rather than to Landry’s is beyond me. I mean, I don’t think you could find a better analogy in this situation than Landry.

Actually, I take it back. I think it’s perfectly obvious why you’re using the comparison you chose.
Maybe we will find out the admin fired Landry and hired Jimmy. That would be outstanding and I’d be extraordinarily excited if that’s our retroactive review in a few years.

Frog-in-law1995

Maybe we will find out the admin fired Landry and hired Jimmy. That would be outstanding and I’d be extraordinarily excited if that’s our retroactive review in a few years.
Well it was the same admin who fired Jimmy, so take heart. Non-football people know what they’re doing sometimes.