• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas makes Patterson hiring official

ECoastFrog

Not like he didn’t know it was coming. I thought he had more Frog Factor than this.

Still say if he was hired at Baylor this board would be out of its mind. My Texas hate is far greater than my Baylor hate.
I'm curious as to how much GP knew before he was coaxed to resign. Was he given a warning weeks or months in advance, with parameters for improvement? Just curious.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
TCU said “scheiss you” to GP first.
It did? I think an argument could be made that TCU asked GP to work with his coaching staff, to remove and replace some of the staff, to modernize the defense, and a host of other things that were drawing the program into a downward spiral. To each of those observations and requests, GP said "scheiss you." He had ample opportunity over the years to comply with his employer's requests and chose not to. Even then, the administration gave him a way to retire gracefully and with dignity. At that point, Gary said scheiss you.

Virginia Frog

Can you imagine how much criticism TCU would get if they removed GPs statue? Don’t kid yourself, GP and his wife do not like the way they were treated at the end. They want revenge BAD.
If THIS is GP & wife's attitude - revenge to TCU "bad", then they need to grow up.

GP failed miserably on the field, then he virtually quit when confronted by the bosses when informed of their decision of his future at TCU. (You see he really DID quit - but never said those words - he wanted the free $5M for 2022. That was the smartest thing he did.)

He's pissed for what he sees as disrespect and lack of appreciation for his two decade-plus services where his tenure was by most accounts a net success. But his 5 year trend (and all the changes in and around college football where he obviously was behind-the-door) was insufficient for the TCU administration to trust him with the future of the football program which - since it's our calling card/"front door" - effects the entire athletic dept and TCU community top to bottom.

Okay, he's human and doesn't like being dissed. IMO he pissed on a lot of TCU folks on his way out the door to satisfy is anger. Smart people don't do that.

He would have gone down in history and remained a "god" to us in the TCU community. No, his lack of an adult response and this Texas move is so off-putting for many, including me, only to say "good riddance."

Last edited:
FJvlv0vXoAgIehR

This is just ... odd. Feels like I am in the Metaverse or whatever it is called.

FrogBall09

Did Patterson work at UT before coming to
It did? I think an argument could be made that TCU asked GP to work with his coaching staff, to remove and replace some of the staff, to modernize the defense, and a host of other things that were drawing the program into a downward spiral. To each of those observations and requests, GP said "scheiss you." He had ample opportunity over the years to comply with his employer's requests and chose not to. Even then, the administration gave him a way to retire gracefully and with dignity. At that point, Gary said scheiss you.
Oh the fictional narrative that has now been made up and growing about how our AD and Chancellor were telling our HC how to be a better coach for “years” and he was not listening….
You guys are as bad as the reporters that tell each other rumors and then quote each other as sources….

FrogBall09

If THIS is GP & wife's attitude - revenge to TCU "bad", then they need to grow up.

GP failed miserably on the field, then he virtually quit when confronted by the bosses when informed of their decision of his future at TCU. (You see he really DID quit - but never said those words - he wanted the free $5M for 2022. That was the smartest thing he did.)

He's pissed for what he sees as disrespect and lack of appreciation for his two decade-plus services where his tenure was by most accounts a net success. But his 5 year trend (and all the changes in and around college football where he obviously was behind-the-door) was insufficient for the TCU administration to trust him with the future of the football program which - since it's our calling card/"front door" - effects the entire athletic dept and TCU community top to bottom.

Okay, he's human and doesn't like being dissed. IMO he pissed on a lot of TCU folks on his way out the door to satisfy is anger. Smart people don't do that.

He would have gone down in history and remained a "god" to us in the TCU community. No, his lack of an adult response and this Texas move is so off-putting for many, including me, only to say "good riddance."
Well since our fans are the ones that are making up the revenge idea - who exactly needs to grow up?

TAINTed frog

Oh the fictional narrative that has now been made up and growing about how our AD and Chancellor were telling our HC how to be a better coach for “years” and he was not listening….
You guys are as bad as the reporters that tell each other rumors and then quote each other as sources….
Regardless of whether or not the Admin/AD were telling GP how to be a better coach or not, do you believe he was having success and living up to the standards *he set*?

The guy performed poorly the past 3-5 years. He didn’t want to make changes. I’m glad the school moved on from him. I’m grateful for what he did for the university.

Now he works for a school/team I dislike. Such is life. Won’t be rooting for UT to win games bc a legendary coach who lost many steps got canned and is now an analyst for them.

None of this is hard.

Also, I don’t care if he went to UT for “revenge” or not. I doubt he did but if so…okay.

FrogBall09

Regardless of whether or not the Admin/AD were telling GP how to be a better coach or not, do you believe he was having success and living up to the standards *he set*?

The guy performed poorly the past 3-5 years. He didn’t want to make changes. I’m glad the school moved on from him. I’m grateful for what he did for the university.

Now he works for a school/team I dislike. Such is life. Won’t be rooting for UT to win games bc a legendary coach who lost many steps got canned and is now an analyst for them.

None of this is hard.

Also, I don’t care if he went to UT for “revenge” or not. I doubt he did but if so…okay.
I was good with moving on from him although it could have been done better

A lot of you should wake up to the fact that JD has a group of his “friends” running a PR campaign about what happened - but there is reason several of our biggest donors are not on board with NIL at the moment and it’s not only because GP is gone

it’s a also a lie to say GP didn’t make changes or try to fix it - he brought in Kill, changed OCs, added other coaches, etc - did they work, not well. Did we like his choices - not really.

Big difference between not trying vs failing

And stop acting like the story around here is only “we don’t support UT” - many are basically vilifying GP because they wanted him fired but he isn’t sitting around in penance for his failure and acting like he turned down dozens of better offers to get revenge on TCU at UT - when no one beyond Kelsey has any idea what all his options were or what he wanted to do next year

TAINTed frog

A lot of you should wake up to the fact that JD has a group of his “friends” running a PR campaign about what happened - but there is reason several of our biggest donors are not on board with NIL at the moment and it’s not only because GP is gone
Apparently neither side handled this well. Not sure how it would have been handled better given the length of his tenure and the personalities involved. Again, personally, I don’t care how it happened. I’m just glad it did.

it’s a also a lie to say GP didn’t make changes or try to fix it - he brought in Kill, changed OCs, added other coaches, etc - did they work, not well. Did we like his choices - not really.
^^ Imo, this barely registers as making changes. He brought in his best buddy to be an offensive analyst while we had to Co-OCs. He did nothing to change his defense.

And stop acting like the story around here is only “we don’t support UT” - many are basically vilifying GP because they wanted him fired but he isn’t sitting around in penance for his failure and acting like he turned down dozens of better offers to get revenge on TCU at UT - when no one beyond Kelsey has any idea what all his options were or what he wanted to do next year
Yeah, my position is that I don’t care either way. He coaches at a school I don’t care for or root for. If he went there to better himself or out of spite. I don’t care. Won’t root for UT regardless.

Eight

question on the changes that gary did make and it is one thing that maybe i saw something that wasn't there and wanted to just get a quick response

gary did make changes on the offensive side of the ball multiple times, but after 2017 he locked in with the defensive staff. the interesting part to me especially the last few seasons is that while the offense had issues they did make some progress in some areas, but it was the defense that really regressed, struggled against riley and the rpo heavy offenses, and was just dreadful against the run this season. yet no changes and no real discussion about changes on that side of the ball from those who supported gary to the end and beyond.

so did i just imagine that or was there a bit of a downward trend on the defensive side of the ball

Surprisingly, the Horns Up does not bother me as much as the 2021 Coaches Polo. Nike and school logos are wayyyyyyyy to high. I think I posted before but I wore it once and half of the TCU and half of the Nike logo are covered by the collar.

Anyways.

Eight

Surprisingly, the Horns Up does not bother me as much as the 2021 Coaches Polo. Nike and school logos are wayyyyyyyy to high. I think I posted before but I wore it once and half of the TCU and half of the Nike logo are covered by the collar.

Anyways.

true, but at at 6'7" and 130 lbs clothes don't exactly fit you like most adults who have traps, pecs, deltoids, and other musculature that might change the way the shirt fits on some of us as opposed to hanging on others

Virginia Frog

Well since our fans are the ones that are making up the revenge idea - who exactly needs to grow up?
Another confusing post on your part 09.

Maybe you're confused, the revenge idea resides with GP & wife. I'm only responding to that news from a previous poster as to it's authenticity. So, if true - and only "if" true, they need to accept the butt hurt and not focus on "revenge" to TCU. (It's not that GP wasn't complicit in his own demise, and largely so. Only when it got really bad (it was unwatchable football!) this mid-season did the TCU bosses tell him the news of their decisions regarding the future of TCU football/athletics and his future non-role. He then carried on like some kind of maniac - reportedly - and made things worse for everyone involved - the team, other coaches, TCU decision makers and staff, TCU student body and the much larger TCU community of fans, alums and by-standers.)

Not saying they are bad people, it's just that they needed to take the firing/release in better stride. Nobody like to be fired or released - I've been x-ed out in my career/businesses - unusually unfairly - but I didn't go on an elephant hunt to take down some big game.

His taking the new job with UT only hurts THEM long-term. IMO. It doesn't hurt me or you or anyone else who hopes, prays and supports TCU's place in this world as an institution and the fruits of its labor. His pro-TexasU move can easily be construed as anti-TCU and Gary & wife don't care it appears. If he had simply gathered his emotions (he is getting paid $5+M for 2022), taken a step back and proceeded in the future (which I'm certain would be quite rewarding for him.) Did he HAVE to take a swipe at TCU? Absolutely not! Is there any "going back" to restore GP's status to TCUers? If I read the tea leaves correctly, there will never again be any "warm fuzzies" with GP and the TCU crowd.

(Old DelConte, Mr. Alixir/Medicine Man Show, I bet concocted this scenario to throw a punch at TCU to show his dominion and power. Otherwise, why would a major football school put up big change to hire someone who recently failed so miserably in the area of expertise for which he was hired? Yep, I'm confused about that reasoning!)

Last edited: