• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas makes Patterson hiring official

HornyWartyToad

So among that sample about 70% of the time perhaps the decision makers would like to have a re-do once all the dust settled?
Well, since 2 of the schools have won national titles with other coaches, several others have had high level success, and 100% of the fired coaches seem to have entered witness protection, I'd be guessing probably not.

froginmn

For sure, it was the middle finger.

I would suspect that the TCU Administration will limit standing room only at 5K for 11/12/22. This game, along with the Rose, Peach, Alamo, & Utah '09 as one of our all time greats.
I for one would be surprised if UT lets us dictate the size of the crowd at their home game on 11/12/22.

4th. down

I for one would be surprised if UT lets us dictate the size of the crowd at their home game on 11/12/22.
Damn, I was wishing. My Bad. The incentive is still there but the game may be a little tougher for us. I cannot bear the thought of GP shaking hands with Sonny after the game which Texas won.

Eight

Remember that time Jerry Jones fired Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys perpetually wandered through the NFL abyss? Man I hope that’s not what we are embarking on. We’ve all spent a lot of emotion/involvement/cash getting to a place where firing Gary Patterson made sense to enough people in power for them to go through with it.

Obviously a lot of folks who supported this decision are concerned as hell or they wouldn’t give a rip where the fired coach goes to work next. I mean if he sucks so bad you should be glad he went to Texas so he can destroy their program. What’s better than the terrible coach going to the school you hate most to further mess them up?

no, when did jerry fire jimmy?

TAINTed frog

So among that sample about 70% of the time perhaps the decision makers would like to have a re-do once all the dust settled?
Tennessee - Fulmer - Hired 1992 - NC 1998 - Fired 2008. 5 coaches since then. Seems difficult to assess whether they would want a redo 14 years after he was fired and missing on 5 coaches.

Miami - Coker - Hired 2001 - NC 2001 - Fired 2006. 7 coaches since then. Again difficult to assess...they've had 7 chances to get it right. Don't think that's determinative as to whether the firing in 2006 was worth it.

UT - Brown - Hired 1998 - NC 2005; Runner's up 2009 - Fired 2013. 3 coaches since. I'll give you that UT may have prematurely botched that. It's also closer in the firing date than Fulmer 2008 and Coker 2006.

LSU - Orgeron - Hired 2016 - NC 2019 - Fired 2021. 1 coach since. Remains to be seen. LSU is also the only major program to win 3 NCs with 3 different coaches. So I'll give them the benefit of doubt for a few years.

Auburn - Chizik - Hired 2009 - NC 2010 - Fired 2012. 2 coaches since. Would they still like to have Chizik? Again difficult to say.

Just like you, I'm guessing, and I think those schools believe they made the right decision. Now, they probably regret some of the decisions after parting with these coaches but that goes hand in hand with firing someone. Hopefully we made the right call in Coach Dykes, if we didn't, I hope we make the right call on the next coach.

The attempted revisionist history on programs like Tennessee and Miami is difficult, IMO.

Texas, again, I agree with you.

LSU has a proven track record of making really good hires and firing coaches when the time is right.

Auburn, it could be argued that Chizik got lucky with Cam Newton - the second coming of Vince Young - when he won his NC. Chizik went 8-5 in 2011 and 3-9 in 2012. Maybe Auburn believed he wasn't a great coach and got lucky due to Cam.