• The KillerFrogs

Horns down penalty

MTfrog5

All I heard from Ole Miss fans was before the game and they were all talking smack. Didn't run into any after the game because they all left at halftime. Didn't see a single Ole Miss car on the drive home the next day, though there were plenty on the drive in the day before the game.

I only wish we'd shut them out that day. And maybe broke 50.
We probably break 60 if Boykin played like he had all year.

Purp

It’s not a penalty for taunting, it’s a penalty for being disrespectful to the opponent. Horns up is supportive, horns down is antagonistic. That’s why one is a penalty and the other is not. Still the most hippy dippy thin skinned dumbass crap ever, though.
I guess I fundamentally disagree here. If horns up or frogs up is a celebration so too is horns down or frogs down; it's just so for the other team. It doesn't make it a taunt by itself unless every celebration in every form is a taunt. The only way horns down would be a taunt to me is if a player did it directly to a UT player, group of UT players, or a UT coach. But any other type of celebration done in the same way is also a taunt, regardless of the orientation of the taunter's fingers. I'd add that doing any of this to fans should not be considered a taunt as the fans aren't competing.

I'd also add that I believe a certain degree of taunting should be permitted in football. The best example is the Peach Bowl when every great defensive play by Ole Miss (all 2-3 of them) ended with a demonstrative land shark dance. That's a celebration for a great play; no big deal. So when our defense comes out and makes even more great plays I don't see anything wrong with throwing the celebration right back at them. Technically that's a taunt, but I don't believe it's disproportionate with the opposite side's celebration. I see the horns down in the same way.

This is clearly the most hippy dippy thin skinned dumbarse bullboat in sports history. Naturally it would emanate from Austin.

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

I guess I fundamentally disagree here. If horns up or frogs up is a celebration so too is horns down or frogs down; it's just so for the other team.

One is saying “my team is good,” while the other is saying “your team is bad.” The latter is a penalty because it is deemed disrespectful by the rules committee.

Purp

One is saying “my team is good,” while the other is saying “your team is bad.” The latter is a penalty because it is deemed disrespectful by the rules committee.
If this is the case then every time players get in each other's faces talking boat during the game they should be flagged for taunting since their words or most likely far more incisive than "your team is bad," which is clearly so disrespectful it has no place on the gridiron. That clearly doesn't happen, though, so neither should it with hand signals unless used in an especially provocative way that also would have drawn a taunting foul without the hand signal.

I think both hand signals are saying "my team is better than your team" after a big play and if you don't like seeing the other team celebrate in either way you can try harder to do something about it.

I'm not trying to sound like some macho brochacho here who thinks there should be no rules for taunting or limiting celebrations. Honestly, the NFL celebrations irritate the hell out of me. They aren't celebrating anymore, they're just being idiots. Just be excited that you made a great play and get ready for the next one. But to me being excited about making a great play includes some form of celebration. I see nothing wrong with either of these hand gestures by either team unless done in a demonstrably taunting manner.

Take the Will Grier horns down that launched this controversy as an example. He's got his fans in front of him when he does it. He's saying to his fans, "we're better than these guys so get excited" when he flashes the hand sign. It's not a taunt. It wasn't untrue. It wasn't malicious. It wasn't disproportionate to a normal celebration that is well within the rules. Any type of celebration there can be construed as him saying "your team is bad" since the only reason he's celebrating is because his team out performed theirs. This whole debate is extremely weak, IMO.

Darn UT and Mensa.