• The KillerFrogs

Hook 'Em.com: Texas, if you truly want to fix the defense, go get Gary Patterson ASAP

Wexahu

And I have a hard time seeing him as a subordinate to some other head coach.
Has there ever been a "legendary" college head coach go on to be a coordinator at another school after his tenure at the school that made him a legend was complete?

I can't think of one.

Frogs1983

Gary should go spend some time in Nashville and forget about Football for a while, recharge his batteries. He looked totally mentally fried by time he was gone at TCU.

SackLunch

We get one last shot at them in Austin in 22’,(based on all reports) wouldn’t it be interesting if GP was wearing burnt orange for it while Sonny gashes his defense yet again
I have some doubts. A fresh start with fewer responsibilities may be all he needs. I don't know. But I'm not sure how you could watch how terrible our defense was this year and not have at least some doubts.
About GP? I get that we haven't been that good RECENTLY but GP is easily one of the best defensive minds in the game today, if not ever. I guarantee you that if he was able to use the types of players UT gets in recruiting, no matter what they will always get better recruits that's just a perk of being Texas, he would crush any offense out there. Somebody said it on this thread but if all he had to do was game plan and recruit a few guys and not do ALL of the stuff he had to do as a head coach, whoever plays that defense is in trouble.

StealthFrog

About GP? I get that we haven't been that good RECENTLY but GP is easily one of the best defensive minds in the game today, if not ever. I guarantee you that if he was able to use the types of players UT gets in recruiting, no matter what they will always get better recruits that's just a perk of being Texas, he would crush any offense out there. Somebody said it on this thread but if all he had to do was game plan and recruit a few guys and not do ALL of the stuff he had to do as a head coach, whoever plays that defense is in trouble.
Rick Astley GIF

Mean Purple

I have some doubts. A fresh start with fewer responsibilities may be all he needs. I don't know. But I'm not sure how you could watch how terrible our defense was this year and not have at least some doubts.
true, but there is a reason that ADJD said that one of the 5 key things they looked for in the new coach was to get the S&C program fixed and get a better injury prevention platform. That's why they are happy that Kaz comes with SD.
People can say what they want, but we were weak for experience in parts of the defense. Key parts. Patterson's defense was still finishing in the upper parts of the conference in recent years.
He goes some place like Texas or OU or some other giant, with their resources and recruits, he would likely raise total hell.

Double V

Since Gary in TCU parting ways consider and DelConti
is at UT, it only makes sense that he would get rid of Sarkisian at hire Patterson as a head coach. This move is so obvious to me. UT should just eat Sarkisian's contract and hire Patterson.
I think you guys overestimate the relationship between GP and CDC.

If GP coaches within the next 3 years it will be at a small school with minimal athletic department admin. It was obvious today that is Sonny Dykes's strong point and where Gary was lacking. If he wants to be HC at a P5 again he'll have to spend some time studying the administrative dynamics that go into making a successful and sustainable program.