• The KillerFrogs

Hook 'Em.com: Texas, if you truly want to fix the defense, go get Gary Patterson ASAP

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Texas, if you truly want to fix the defense, go get Gary Patterson ASAP​

Cedric Golden
Hookem

831c5b10-7c8c-4d23-973c-5a852526ace1-USATSI_16874962_168394621_lowres.jpg

If Gary Patterson has one iota of interest in becoming Texas’ defensive coordinator, then Steve Sarkisian should pull the trigger.

That is, if that blank checkbook given to him by Board of Regents Chairman Kevin Eltife, UT President Jay Hartzell and athletic director Chris Del Conte remains at his disposal.

Pete Kwiatkowski signed a multiyear contract to come here, but his first season was horribly historic. The nation’s 99th-ranked defense gave up 30 or more points on eight occasions in a 5-7 season, something that hasn’t happened in this program since, well, never.

Read more at https://www.hookem.com/story/sports...one-greatest-defensive-minds-ever/8791517002/

Slots

Texas, if you truly want to fix the defense, go get Gary Patterson ASAP​

Cedric Golden
Hookem

831c5b10-7c8c-4d23-973c-5a852526ace1-USATSI_16874962_168394621_lowres.jpg

If Gary Patterson has one iota of interest in becoming Texas’ defensive coordinator, then Steve Sarkisian should pull the trigger.

That is, if that blank checkbook given to him by Board of Regents Chairman Kevin Eltife, UT President Jay Hartzell and athletic director Chris Del Conte remains at his disposal.

Pete Kwiatkowski signed a multiyear contract to come here, but his first season was horribly historic. The nation’s 99th-ranked defense gave up 30 or more points on eight occasions in a 5-7 season, something that hasn’t happened in this program since, well, never.

Read more at https://www.hookem.com/story/sports...one-greatest-defensive-minds-ever/8791517002/
Since Gary in TCU parting ways consider and DelConti
is at UT, it only makes sense that he would get rid of Sarkisian at hire Patterson as a head coach. This move is so obvious to me. UT should just eat Sarkisian's contract and hire Patterson.

Limey Frog

This would make it a lot harder for me to keep cheering against UT, but I think I could find a way.

Gary, you can do whatever you want at this point; best of luck wherever it is unless you're playing TCU.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
We get one last shot at them in Austin in 22’,(based on all reports) wouldn’t it be interesting if GP was wearing burnt orange for it while Sonny gashes his defense yet again

TAINTed frog

A fresh start can fix a lot of issues. I have no doubt Gary could succeed as a DC at a major program.
I wish him nothing but the best but by all accounts it doesn’t seem like he would be receptive to having another coach tell him what to do. Or possibly what assistants to hire. But maybe a reset/change is all he all he needs.

Limey Frog

A fresh start can fix a lot of issues. I have no doubt Gary could succeed as a DC at a major program.

Absolutely. Watching tape and rethinking his schemes is what he does best. What he does poorly is firing underperforming subordinates, replacing them with better ones who might demand a little autonomy, then giving them that autonomy with only the necessary/proper oversight.

Ironically, in recent years he has done the first thing poorly as well, (I assume) because he was distracted by his trying to fix by other means the problems created by his unwillingness to do the latter things.

If he goes somewhere else and just focusses on coaching defense, he'll kill it. That's why I hope it won't be Texas. Or Ohio State. He should go to Utah; that would great.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Would he do it? I think not.

Would he sign on to be a Defensive Analyst and Sensei to a Young and Dynamic DC for numerous buckets of money? Probably.

I doubt Sark would want him around due to regicidal fears...

froginaustin

About mid-way through next season, when UTx is around 3-2 or maybe 2-3 after a loss to OU, Gary could be their interim coach.

Seriously, at this stage of a career like Gary's, would he want to move to a staff that has a really, really good chance of being fired before Jan 1, 2023?

CountryFrog

I have some doubts. A fresh start with fewer responsibilities may be all he needs. I don't know. But I'm not sure how you could watch how terrible our defense was this year and not have at least some doubts.