• The KillerFrogs

Hometown Newspaper?

How does the general public view the Star-Telegram's journalistic integrity when specifically dealing with

anything pertaining to TCU...supporter, dissenter, adversary, skeptic....or ??

Dogfrog

There's a big difference between "hometown" and "homer."

Go Frogs!

True, but many local sports writers and broadcasters many years ago became so fearful of appearing to be homers, to avoid derision by their peers they often go to great lengths to avoid it. Including hating on the local teams. Muck, for example, seems to believe this is the mark of a great journalist.

Last edited:

froginaustin

If you want a "for example" of a home town newspaper becoming a homer newspaper, look no further than the Austin American-Statesman. They've always had heavy UTx coverage. Not surprising as I would guess 2/3 of their readers are and have always been Longhorn fans of some degree of rabidness.

As their newspaper has hollowed, the "everybody else" is gone while the heavy Longhorn coverage has not. For example, last weekend the American-Statesman had no one mention of the TCU@TTech game. Not even a box score. There may not have been any B12 games in which the Longhorns were not a participant that drew a mention. They had brief articles about the Aggies, and the Texas State Bobcats. Passing glances at games involving top-10 teams. Otherwise, all-UTx, all the time.

At least their sportswriters aren't cheerleaders, at least when the Longhorns are losing. HehHeh.

Frog DJ

True, but many local sports writers and broadcasters many years ago became so fearful of appearing to be homers to avoid derision by their peers, they often go to great lengths to avoid it. Including hating on the local teams. Muck, for example, seems to believe this is the mark of a great journalist.
Agreed - in much the same way as some schools of journalism now teach “activist journalism” instead of objectivity.

Go Frogs!

Big Frog II

The S-T does a good job covering TCU Sports. Other than one passive aggressive writer, they have good people in that department. Sadly, the S-T has been bought and sold too many times for too much money and they are cutting it to the core to pay for itself. The paper is a shell of itself, and that is sad.

Frog DJ

I can remember when I was immensely proud that my WBAP salary was issued on a Star Telegram paycheck.

Back in those days, working for Amon Carter carried a considerable amount of cache, and I valued my job very highly.

Sadly, those days are long gone...

Go Frogs!