• The KillerFrogs

Hey Gary you suck

Froggish

Recruiting services aren’t always accurate but people who criticize them don’t usually understand them. Both 247 and Rivals will straight up tell you they are ranking kids based on their physical ability to translate into college level athletes. So size, speed, strength, and combine like measurables are the largest part of their evaluations. Just because you are big, strong, fast, or shifty doesn’t mean you are going to be a D1 stud but it means you have the physical ability to get their.

People who think 247 is telling you that a 4/5 star is automatically going to be an all conference type player are missing the point. That’s not at all what they are doing

Wexahu

Recruiting services aren’t always accurate but people who criticize them don’t usually understand them. Both 247 and Rivals will straight up tell you they are ranking kids based on their physical ability to translate into college level athletes. So size, speed, strength, and combine like measurables are the largest part of their evaluations. Just because you are big, strong, fast, or shifty doesn’t mean you are going to be a D1 stud but it means you have the physical ability to get their.

People who think 247 is telling you that a 4/5 star is automatically going to be an all conference type player are missing the point. That’s not at all what they are doing
Explain Kendre Miller’s ranking. Somebody had to see him or get his measurables or he wouldn’t have had a rating, right?

I’m not saying that what you said isn’t correct, but some of the people doing this stuff must be blind, stupid, or flat out pulling stuff out of their rear end.

Eight

Explain Kendre Miller’s ranking. Somebody had to see him or get his measurables or he wouldn’t have had a rating, right?

I’m not saying that what you said isn’t correct, but some of the people doing this stuff must be blind, stupid, or flat out pulling stuff out of their rear end.

would bet no one saw him in person, maybe a bit of tape but remember he didn't really dominate until his senior year, and if he didn't go to a recruiting combine they would be going by word of mouth

they aren't trying to be as much accurate on each kid as deliver a crap load of content to fan bases who are willing to pay for it

SackLunch

great question and i did a quick overview of the frogs who were drafted in that period using the 247 database. numbers might be different with espsn, but 247's database is free and easy to access.

one challenge going that far back is tcu recruits are only rated back to the 2002 class. when i checked the player rankings for 2001 only 129 players were rated in 2001 and no player rated was given less than 4 stars so the texas longhorn class in 2001 that was ranked #11 in the country only had 4 players rated that year. compare that to the 2021 class where 247 gave 369 players a rating of 4-stars or higher and rated well over 1,000 kids.

specifically that means players such as anthony alabi, drew coleman, michael toudouze and cory rogers who were drafted in 2005 and 2006 weren't given any type of rating.

there are ratings for the players drafted in 2007-2014 and here are those numbers.

tcu signed 49 2 stars in the classes between 2002-2011 and 7 of those got drafted
they signed 96 3 stars in those same classes and 11 got drafted
finally the frogs signed 7 4 stars during that time and 2 of those got drafted

the 2009 tcu draft class had 5 players overall and 4 2-stars who got drafted in blake schluter, aaron brown, robert henson, and jason phillips. three of those players came from the same recruiting class in 2004.

not sure what all of this truly proves other than the holes in the ratings services simply because of the challenges in scale. consider that in 2012 tcu signed two 2-star recruits according to 247. josh carraway who missed a great deal of time to injury in high school and derrick kindred who played multiple positions (rb, de, lb, and db) for a bad high school team yet both ended up playing in the nfl or that in 2020 supposedly there were over 200 high school football players in texas who were better prospects than kendre miller.
Kudos on the research.

Eight

Kudos on the research.

welcome, lull in the game last night and what i do most of the day anyhow with work

you did raise a great question and i do think we sometimes forget the details over time like the 4 "2-stars" in one draft class, the lack of players being rated overall, and 3 of those being in one recruiting class

SackLunch

welcome, lull in the game last night and what i do most of the day anyhow with work

you did raise a great question and i do think we sometimes forget the details over time like the 4 "2-stars" in one draft class, the lack of players being rated overall, and 3 of those being in one recruiting class
Do you think the players on the team now have a good understanding of everyting that went into getting this program to where it is now? Or at least where it was. The game I watched against WV made me question how much these guys really are committed to the program and carrying on the tradition of hard nosed, chip on the shoulder, out to prove something type of guys that built the GP era. I'm sure guys like Carter and Phillips would have been good to have around just to teach those guys how to continue the violent and pissed off style of play that we used to play with because I haven't seen that style of play in at least 2/3 years. Honestly, I miss that style of play. It's what made TCU so dangerous and fun to watch.

Eight

Do you think the players on the team now have a good understanding of everyting that went into getting this program to where it is now? Or at least where it was. The game I watched against WV made me question how much these guys really are committed to the program and carrying on the tradition of hard nosed, chip on the shoulder, out to prove something type of guys that built the GP era. I'm sure guys like Carter and Phillips would have been good to have around just to teach those guys how to continue the violent and pissed off style of play that we used to play with because I haven't seen that style of play in at least 2/3 years. Honestly, I miss that style of play. It's what made TCU so dangerous and fun to watch.

great question.........you have staff members like sharp, modkins, and fitch who remember back in the day as well as gary obviously, but how does that come around to the kids? does it sound like a parent to their kids talking about when i was young? does it come across a to much is given much is expected?

not sure if it is the last one listening to some of the comments gary makes, but who knows for sure? this is one reason i think hearing what shannon and wc think in the podcasts as i know from them there is a perspective on what it took to get where we are today

biggest fear though isn't the kids lack of perspective or even gary and his staff. it is those who are in position to hold gary accountable. people seem to easily recall the bad teams and horrible losses, but for some reason they go blank on why we got left for dead when the swc broke up and how we don't want to go back down that rabbit hole again.