• The KillerFrogs

Heartland College Sports: The Big 12 Conference's Future Changed Forever on Thursday

82 Frog Fever

I know this NY deal is all good and a great marketing thing, but I heard several sports talk shows say, as a side bar to this, Yormark is planning to invite several east coast teams as basketball ball only members of the B12. I heard St. John’s mentioned a couple of times.

froginaustin

I know this NY deal is all good and a great marketing thing, but I heard several sports talk shows say, as a side bar to this, Yormark is planning to invite several east coast teams as basketball ball only members of the B12. I heard St. John’s mentioned a couple of times.

I wonder if Yormark is aware of what happened with Big East football.

I wonder what he would do differently to keep the conference from being pulled apart because football-playing athletic programs do not seem to have the same business models as basketball-dominant athletic programs do.

Maybe we'll find out. I hope not.

NORMLFROG

No doubt Yormark is aware of Big East history and the competing visions between FB and BB schools. Up the thread Wex made an interesting point re: BB having an opportunity to reclaim some lost turf of the sports landscape and Yormark has ideas to basketballl and it's economic impact potential. I thought the. article was good and I agree that from a FB standpoint we're not ever gonna reach the financial heights of the fat pigs but separately monetizing BB could close the gap.

Let's just say that the Big 12 is able to come out of a potential add with some PAC pieces and also have some BB only members. It would be awkward and might look funny but it has the potential to be TV gold.

St. John's v. KU at MSG
or
Alabama v. Texas in Austin

Who gets the top prime time slot? It's a no brainer.

I think Wex is Yormark.

NF

East Coast

Tier 1
I wonder if Yormark is aware of what happened with Big East football.

I wonder what he would do differently to keep the conference from being pulled apart because football-playing athletic programs do not seem to have the same business models as basketball-dominant athletic programs do.

Maybe we'll find out. I hope not.
I've thought that too, but then I remember that the 16 team WAC was deemed too big and unyieldy, and split up after a couple of years. Now we have the 2 biggest players in college football at 16, with talk of them expanding further. Circumstances change.

Eight

No doubt Yormark is aware of Big East history and the competing visions between FB and BB schools. Up the thread Wex made an interesting point re: BB having an opportunity to reclaim some lost turf of the sports landscape and Yormark has ideas to basketballl and it's economic impact potential. I thought the. article was good and I agree that from a FB standpoint we're not ever gonna reach the financial heights of the fat pigs but separately monetizing BB could close the gap.

Let's just say that the Big 12 is able to come out of a potential add with some PAC pieces and also have some BB only members. It would be awkward and might look funny but it has the potential to be TV gold.

St. John's v. KU at MSG
or
Alabama v. Texas in Austin

Who gets the top prime time slot? It's a no brainer.

I think Wex is Yormark.

NF

bama vs texas because of the number of eyes as st johns is not the st johns of the beast fo the big east days from the late 80's to early 90's

Eight

Some people will watch anything marketed as:

"from Madison Squey-air Gartin".

outside of nyc?

seriously, i can't tell you the last time i watched a big east game, couldn't even tell you outside of uconn and creigthon who is in the big east, or the records of say st john's, seton hall, nova, and georgetown the last few years

buying old, dated brands seems a bit risky to me.

especially when you are trying to create a market for your product

NORMLFROG

outside of nyc?

seriously, i can't tell you the last time i watched a big east game, couldn't even tell you outside of uconn and creigthon who is in the big east, or the records of say st john's, seton hall, nova, and georgetown the last few years

buying old, dated brands seems a bit risky to me.

especially when you are trying to create a market for your product
Agree to disagree. If you’re trying to expand your basketball brand I’ll chance it with Mars Blackmon and NYC over Alright Alright Alright and Austin. I just used St. John’s as an example. UCONN v. Kansas would be a better example.

NF

Eight

Agree to disagree. If you’re trying to expand your basketball brand I’ll chance it with Mars Blackmon and NYC over Alright Alright Alright and Austin. I just used St. John’s as an example. UCONN v. Kansas would be a better example.

NF

uconn is a multiple time national champion so they are different story, but the question is why does a conference with the last two national champions, one with multiple titles need to expand their brand?

with the emerge4nce of streaming via platforms such as espn+ etc. the basketball attention span as gotten diluted no different than movies or serials

NORMLFROG

John Candy Stripes GIF by hero0fwar
uconn is a multiple time national champion so they are different story, but the question is why does a conference with the last two national champions, one with multiple titles need to expand their brand?

with the emerge4nce of streaming via platforms such as espn+ etc. the basketball attention span as gotten diluted no different than movies or serials
I hear what you’re saying. Maybe I’m just in love with the idea of our conference leader kicking every tire in the lot and considering every possible opportunity. My perception is that our league is gonna think outside the box and not just be in a defensive posture. But that’s me, Mr. Vegas.

NF

Creeperfrog

Too much of expansion, but maybe there is something.. If we get Gonzaga and other pac teams I don't know how to place big east teams in for all sports. Thats looking at like 20+. Football should be alright