• The KillerFrogs

Headed to Ames...what to do?

Tom Brown

Lets-Kick-Some-Ass.jpg

froginmn

Love their tailgate scene; lots of nearby locations that are available to park in at low cost.

There is a barbecue restaurant that is very much OK. I don't have lots of restaurant suggestions.

@CyFrog22

Last edited:

LVH

I've been for basketball but not football. Every time I've been for basketball its been snowing and under 10 degrees. One year I went and the walk from the parking lot to Hilton Coliseum was miserable. You park so far away.

But it's a nice place at this time of the year so enjoy it. Des Moines is a cool city. Make sure to hit up a Culver's for some frozen custard.

froginmn

OK so back to someone who has been there giving information... :)

I looked it up and the restaurant I mentioned before is Hickory Park. Everyone there, when asked for a recommendation, said "you have to go to Hickory Park". As someone who likes barbecue, I went. It was very busy, with a wait of maybe 45 minutes.

It has a cool atmosphere, busy and loud with lots of football fans. If you're used to good Texas barbecue, though, the food will disappoint.

Back to tailgating, it's cheap to park in an adjacent lot where you can tailgate. $20 and you're a 5-10 minute walk from the stadium. It's not real sophisticated and fancy but a great atmosphere and the fans are very cool.