• The KillerFrogs

Has GP lost his fastball?

Travis Trucks

Our defense needs to force teams to make 80 yard long drives to score touch downs. Sooner or later the offense will make a mistake holding, off sides, dropped pass, bad snap or broken play. Giving up a bunch of yards but fewer points is a much better strategy than our strategy.

Big long plays like we give up kill you especially in close games. Long td runs and deep passes over the top are killing us. Especially When your offense struggles to get first downs let alone td’s.

We could afford to risk the big play in the Mountain West because the teams we played didn't have a lot of big play threats. So it was easy to take away the run and force them to beat us over the top.

In the Big 12 that's asking too much. Every team has multiple big play threats.

Travis Trucks

This is an excellent analysis!!!

I often wondered at the difference in ego of the 2* vs. the 4* kids, and the sense of entitlement. As you said earlier, the kids coming in were often the best player on their team or nearly so. They were used to easily making the play or having the little bit of speed necessary to cover an error. Not so in College. Add in the Age of Social Media and you've got a real set of mental issues and sense of entitlement that simply didn't exist just 10-15 years ago.

How do you weed out the Ego Princes and the Locker Room Cancers before they poison your team? How can you tell beyond simple performance stats who will be a positive player for the future, and who will hog up a scholly and flame out?

It's a lot tougher in the transfer portal era.

People will point to the likes of Nick Saban, but its a lot easier to do what he does when your entire 3 deep is 4* and 5*. He doesn't fear having to put in a walk on or 2* depth player.

The fact of the matter we have a deck stacked against us being a small private school. Big state schools can afford to stockpile talent and process them later.

There are 3 types of coaches in college football

-The Phil Jacksons. I.E. Nick Saban, Bob Stoops

-The Motivators. I.E. Dabo Swinney, Ed Oregeron

-The Xs and Os Guys. I.E. Patterson, Bill Snyder

The problem is that only big state schools with large recruiting footprints and bells and whistles can hire Phil Jacksons and Motivators and succeed. It's an impossible coaching style at the small private school level like TCU.

Xs and Os guys also struggle at large state schools because they struggle to get their top tier players to respect them. Tom Herman is an Xs and Os guys. Lincoln Riley was an Xs and Os guy but he has had to learn to transition into being a hybrid motivator/Phil Jackson type.

Pharm Frog

We could afford to risk the big play in the Mountain West because the teams we played didn't have a lot of big play threats. So it was easy to take away the run and force them to beat us over the top.

In the Big 12 that's asking too much. Every team has multiple big play threats.

And we have a knack for turning some players into big play threats while taking away others. If you would have told me that we'd get torched for the rushing yards by the ISU tailback more than we had with Purdy and Montgomery, I'd have said no freaking way.

Pharm Frog

It's a lot tougher in the transfer portal era.

People will point to the likes of Nick Saban, but its a lot easier to do what he does when your entire 3 deep is 4* and 5*. He doesn't fear having to put in a walk on or 2* depth player.

The fact of the matter we have a deck stacked against us being a small private school. Big state schools can afford to stockpile talent and process them later.

There are 3 types of coaches in college football

-The Phil Jacksons. I.E. Nick Saban, Bob Stoops

-The Motivators. I.E. Dabo Swinney, Ed Oregeron

-The Xs and Os Guys. I.E. Patterson, Bill Snyder

The problem is that only big state schools with large recruiting footprints and bells and whistles can hire Phil Jacksons and Motivators and succeed. It's an impossible coaching style at the small private school level like TCU.

Xs and Os guys also struggle at large state schools because they struggle to get their top tier players to respect them. Tom Herman is an Xs and Os guys. Lincoln Riley was an Xs and Os guy but he has had to learn to transition into being a hybrid motivator/Phil Jackson type.

I would argue that every good staff has all three types and maybe we do too but it's really tough to tell.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
What you are describing about old style High school coaches is true but I don’t recall seeing any TCU assistants humiliating players during games. The only screamer has consistently been Gary. Guaranteed Bumpas knew how to get their attention, most likely at practice and minutes played. I recall Bumpas always being pretty calm on the sidelines. I think there are plenty of old school coaches who can still communicate accountability rather than resorting to “woke” coaching.

I was solely talking about GP. He’s the face of the program that kids see on tv. I’m not being critical of him, however. But I’m just not sure if it goes over well with today’s kids.

I agree. My two cents is that some of the issues is less about screaming and hollering and accountability and lack of accountability and more so with the complexity and "purity" of the system that is being run. While I have a slightly different definition of "talent" than most on this board, what I sense is that some of this speed and athleticism and instinct for the game may be muted a bit by the scheme itself and the precision with which it is expected to be run (mainly D). I think this is true to an extent in both the offensive and defensive systems and may be why we don't look ready at the snap while getting sideline signals in and why we relentlessly substitute in mass during offensive possessions. In either case, I can see why very talented athletes might not be the best "practice" players and may end up limiting their game day playing time in deference to the systems.

I think you nailed the issue on defense! It explains why we do bad in the first part of the season then improve as the season goes on. Defense is too hard to learn. Players thinking too much not playing fast. Mental breakdowns leading to long td’s! Great analysis!!

tcudoc

maxresdefault.jpg