• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Purp

He had to skip the portion of the year when all MN residents hibernate except to play or watch hockey.
There have to be some episodes of weirdness snowplowing the driveway with a strap-on for extra balance to facilitate a run to the beer store for absynth and PBR. Maybe knocking on doors in the neighborhood wearing cousin Eddie's robe and house shoes looking for some eggs one morning.

froginmn

Episodes 10 and 11 about my neighbors. May and June 2022. This is the final bit of background leading to the events of last week.

As a fitness instructor, she works out in her garage with the door open. It isn't appealing and maybe it's to allow ventilation but sometimes it seems like she's just trying to put on a show. He has started running and it looks like Forrest Gump. He runs awkwardly and is always looking at his watch - assume it's a Apple watch or Fitbit but who knows.

On a recent Saturday I was mowing the yard and saw them walk by. I had to double-take because he was in dress pants and a dress shirt and she was in a flowery dress carrying a heart-shaped purse. It looked like they were going to prom. Seems like most of what they do is putting on a show... We figured that MAYBE they were walking to a grad party in the neighborhood but in those outfits?

Another thing I notice is that when I'm backing out of my driveway to go to work I need to check around because they seem to cross the street and intentionally walk behind my car as I'm backing out. Just odd.

One nice tie-in to this thread and panic-edits of days gone by: they bought pillows that say Keep Calm and Carry On. They would have been current long ago.

Ron Swanson

Episodes 10 and 11 about my neighbors. May and June 2022. This is the final bit of background leading to the events of last week.

As a fitness instructor, she works out in her garage with the door open. It isn't appealing and maybe it's to allow ventilation but sometimes it seems like she's just trying to put on a show. He has started running and it looks like Forrest Gump. He runs awkwardly and is always looking at his watch - assume it's a Apple watch or Fitbit but who knows.

On a recent Saturday I was mowing the yard and saw them walk by. I had to double-take because he was in dress pants and a dress shirt and she was in a flowery dress carrying a heart-shaped purse. It looked like they were going to prom. Seems like most of what they do is putting on a show... We figured that MAYBE they were walking to a grad party in the neighborhood but in those outfits?

Another thing I notice is that when I'm backing out of my driveway to go to work I need to check around because they seem to cross the street and intentionally walk behind my car as I'm backing out. Just odd.

One nice tie-in to this thread and panic-edits of days gone by: they bought pillows that say Keep Calm and Carry On. They would have been current long ago.
Embarrassing that a grown man doesn’t back into his driveway.

tcudoc

Alright. I’m sucked back in. Please don’t disappoint me.

FrogAbroad

Really? Never known a single person who does that. What’s the purpose?
Since I'm not a single person I may not be qualified to answer this, but... My garage is at the end of a regular residential driveway that is just plain straight ol' concrete between the garage and the street. Consequently a vehicle has to move in reverse either entering or exiting. If I back out of the garage my vision of the street is more limited because I'm farther from the point where the driveway and the street converge. If I back into the garage there's less exposure to crazy drivers when I enter, and when I leave I have better sight lines for safely entering the street. It's all pure science.

Purp

Embarrassing that a grown man doesn’t back into his driveway.
Really? Never known a single person who does that. What’s the purpose?
Haha well I'm parking in a garage, so doing that in reverse would seem odd.
The only reason I don't back into my driveway is because the side of the garage I park on opens the driver door to the middle. There isn't enough room for me to get out if I back in unless I find a new place for all of my tools and lawn equipment. If I drove my wife's car and parked on her side of the garage I'd back in every time. It doesn't make sense to have to walk the labrynth she does to get in and out of her car, but she's afraid to do anything but pull straight in.

Purp

Since I'm not a single person I may not be qualified to answer this, but... My garage is at the end of a regular residential driveway that is just plain straight ol' concrete between the garage and the street. Consequently a vehicle has to move in reverse either entering or exiting. If I back out of the garage my vision of the street is more limited because I'm farther from the point where the driveway and the street converge. If I back into the garage there's less exposure to crazy drivers when I enter, and when I leave I have better sight lines for safely entering the street. It's all pure science.
This is the reason I back into parking spaces just about everywhere I go. It's a lot easier to compete for space when you're the only one backing into a space. It's much harder to compete for space in the parking lot lanes when others are also backing out and/or driving through. I prefer every advantage in those situations so I combat park everywhere.

froginmn

The only reason I don't back into my driveway is because the side of the garage I park on opens the driver door to the middle. There isn't enough room for me to get out if I back in unless I find a new place for all of my tools and lawn equipment. If I drove my wife's car and parked on her side of the garage I'd back in every time. It doesn't make sense to have to walk the labrynth she does to get in and out of her car, but she's afraid to do anything but pull straight in.
OK this is a fun party trick; not sure what percentage will work but my experience has it at about 85%.

If I'm standing at the end of your driveway looking into your two car garage, do you park on the right or the left?

If I'm standing at the foot of your bed do you sleep on the same side as your answer to the first question?

Let's hear it: how many are the same (I am, and anecdotally 85% are) and how many are on the opposite side?

Wexahu

Backwards science.

I particularly enjoy waiting (along with others behind me) for a guy stuttering back and forth in my parking garage while he tries to navigate the backing-in-to-his spot trick. Often takes a couple iterations to get it in there just right.

Here's the science:

1) On a scale of 1 being easiest and 10 the hardest, both pulling into or out of a spot forward is a 1. Couldn't be any easier.
2) Backing out of a spot is about a 4.
3) Backing into a spot is about a 9. I know this based on what I explained above occurring very frequently in my parking garage.

5 < 10

Science

Last edited: