• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Horny 4 Life

To chime in on the Turkey Day talk - I love Thanksgiving, but if the food isn't good then I can see why some folks don't like it. The food at my in-laws wasn't very good because they like everything dry and bland. Add that to the yearly dose of drama from my MIL and it kind of took the shine off the holiday.

Myself and a couple of my wife's cousins decided to try and take over some of the cooking and the holiday has definitely gotten better since then. I took over the turkey cooking and we've phased out most of the casserole dishes.

Anybody have some great, unique side dish recipes to share?

Ron Swanson

Well more than 1.5, sir:

Edit - yes, all of the videos suck. That's not what we were discussing, though.

Bobby Ann Mason (obviously)

Running out of reasons to run

Learning as you go

She can’t say I didn’t cry

(Doctor Time and Just Enough Rope shouldn’t be on the list in my humble personal opinion)

Also, to LandFrog, yes Neal McCoy has some jams as well. “No Doubt About it” is one of my favorites. Plus, he’s from Jacksonville, TX and was in my aunt Nancy Sue’s high school class (I added her middle name in there just to make it sound as country as possible). If it were up to me, that may have been my wife and I’s first dance at the wedding. She hates country though, so I didn’t even bring it up.

Ron Swanson

To chime in on the Turkey Day talk - I love Thanksgiving, but if the food isn't good then I can see why some folks don't like it. The food at my in-laws wasn't very good because they like everything dry and bland. Add that to the yearly dose of drama from my MIL and it kind of took the shine off the holiday.

Myself and a couple of my wife's cousins decided to try and take over some of the cooking and the holiday has definitely gotten better since then. I took over the turkey cooking and we've phased out most of the casserole dishes.

Anybody have some great, unique side dish recipes to share?
Ranch potatoes...

These cook inside a large foil pouch on the grill (although I’ve done them in the oven and it works).

Cut up a bunch of potatoes into little chunks or slices. Add a can of Rotel, some jalapeños, salt, pepper, garlic (Tony Chachere’s if you like instead of salt) butter, diced onion (mushrooms if you like them). You can even add sausage chunks in there if you like.

Take all those ingredients and put them into a foil pouch. The key is to double wrap the foil pouch using extra heavy duty foil and to make it watertight. There is a lot of moisture in these ingredients and whenever it starts cooking, if the pouch isn’t water tight, the juices will find their way out of the pouch and on to the fire or the bottom of your oven. Not that big of a deal in a grill, can be a pain in the arse in an oven.

Cook over high heat for about an hour, flipping the pouch every 15 or 30 minutes. Then cut the pouch open and test a potato to see if they’re done. If they’re soft, now it’s time to add the velveeta. Cut up half a thing of velveeta cheese into little cubes and spread it around the pouch, then let that sit over the heat until the cheese melts.

I’ve never made these and had leftovers. People request them all the time.

netty2424

So, I had to drive up to a meeting too far north of Dennison today. All day meeting nonsense.

Traveling 82 and witnessed a semi turn a rather large wild hog to an undesired tgiving day meal.

On the way back tonight spot a coyote trotting near the road with, what looked like, someone's small pet dog in its mouth.

Just an all around odd day.
I’ve messed up the ecosystem around me. Killed 9 raccoons in about a month and a half. Now I’m overrun with coyotes. Every time I let my boxer out after dark or early am, I go with her with spot light and 17hmr in hand.

She’s almost 10 and most of her teeth are gone now so she wouldn’t have a chance with more than one of them. 5 years ago I’d run her out against 4 of them. She’s a tough old broad.

PurpleOveralls

I’ve messed up the ecosystem around me. Killed 9 raccoons in about a month and a half. Now I’m overrun with coyotes. Every time I let my boxer out after dark or early am, I go with her with spot light and 17hmr in hand.

She’s almost 10 and most of her teeth are gone now so she wouldn’t have a chance with more than one of them. 5 years ago I’d run her out against 4 of them. She’s a tough old broad.

Get yourself a thermal scope and start sniping those coyotes from your porch......

Mean Purple

Raccoons carry some nasty lines of infections. Including rabies, so it kind of leaves ya no choice. Yeah, predator ammo time for sure.

On the way to that meeting I got to see some fall colors. Man, that is nice country up there. Hills and hardwoods were impressive.

Mean Purple

Ok, speaking of early 90's country hits, I figured this group would enjoy parts if this article. A. Confirms everybody likes good music and cold one. B. The older fellas will laugh when they look at the author's name. Perfect for a country music reporter.

"Well, I got a call from our publicist that she had gotten a call from Merle’s people wanting to know if we were in town and if we wanted to come out to the ranch because he had his band there and they were rehearsing to go out on tour. Well, I mean, “Hell yeah.” We got the directions. I got to talk to one of the guys. We rented a van and we drove out there, me and Tracy Lawrence and Joe Diffie. You talk about a dream come true for us three rednecks. We were giddy. We were just like teenage kids going to a party or something. We just could not believe it. So, naturally we had to stop and get some beer. [Laughs]"

http://nodepression.com/interview/its-country-tradition-interview-mark-chesnutt

Frog-in-law1995

Actually met him, and Neal McCoy, before. Really nice guys. Those two, and Mark Chessnutt, really love East Texas.

Had a date ditch me at William Robert’s one night after a Tracy Byrd concert. HS buddy of mine was head bouncer there and told me later she ended up backstage with the band. I’m sure he’s a nice guy and probably had nothing to do with it, but scheiss it, I still hate him.

Mean Purple

Had a date ditch me at William Robert’s one night after a Tracy Byrd concert. HS buddy of mine was head bouncer there and told me later she ended up backstage with the band. I’m sure he’s a nice guy and probably had nothing to do with it, but scheiss it, I still hate him.

A. I can see the reasoning on that, for sure.

B.
@SnoSki , I think FIL just came up witht he premise for a great country song.

Frog-in-law1995

Ok, speaking of early 90's country hits, I figured this group would enjoy parts if this article. A. Confirms everybody likes good music and cold one. B. The older fellas will laugh when they look at the author's name. Perfect for a country music reporter.

"Well, I got a call from our publicist that she had gotten a call from Merle’s people wanting to know if we were in town and if we wanted to come out to the ranch because he had his band there and they were rehearsing to go out on tour. Well, I mean, “Hell yeah.” We got the directions. I got to talk to one of the guys. We rented a van and we drove out there, me and Tracy Lawrence and Joe Diffie. You talk about a dream come true for us three rednecks. We were giddy. We were just like teenage kids going to a party or something. We just could not believe it. So, naturally we had to stop and get some beer. [Laughs]"

http://nodepression.com/interview/its-country-tradition-interview-mark-chesnutt

100% awesome.