• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

HFrog1999

Write a "love letter" talking about how much you love the house and how you will take care of it.

Works sometimes....

Also, depending upon how much you want to spend, escalation clauses are a thing here: will pay 1,000 more than the highest offer, up to x. May want to include some caveats with that: non-contingent offers, etc.

Watch The Watcher on Netflix for inspiration

Purp

Yeah this is what happened. Basically wrote a sentimental letter about raising my family in this neighborhood or something. Don’t really remember.

Also let them know I would have no problems financially when it came to closing and that I promised not to be a pain in the arse nitpicking every little thing in the inspection and having them fix it.
Found out last night they had a prior deal backed out of bc the buyer was nit-picking too hard over really innocuous stuff. I read the inspection report and it's not bad at all. I definitely plan to include a line or two about not being like that and taking care of most of the recommended repairs myself.

Dogfrog

I’m in my sixth house. Letters are ok I guess but I have a friend who had a seller who REQUIRED a letter with all offers. In other words it becomes a creative writing contest. No interest in that. Also beware of homeowners who have a recording device in their homes. They will replay your wife saying “that yellow sofa is hideous.”

Eight

purp, wish you and family the best in this transaction, disappointed in this board however, as it has focused on actual functional, practical advice instead of:

Zg.gif

froginmn

I thought letters were illegal since they might cause discrimination. Guess not.
Our local MLS no longer uses the terms master BR or bath... So I'm guessing that letters are also on their way out.

OTOH if you can't figure out who someone is via the Internet you're aging out.

Also, it's OK to compare offers based on the financing structure (all cash vs. amount down, earnest money, etc.).

Frog-in-law1995

Perils of having a couple drinks while watching breaking bad with the fam: Walt hides his ricin by taping it to the back of an electrical outlet cover. My 13-year-old son jokes that that’d be a good place to hide his drugs. Without thinking, I blurted out that I hid mine in the backup battery compartment of my alarm clock. Whoops.

bwood

I thought letters were illegal since they might cause discrimination. Guess not.
Currently doing my CE to renew my license and that was one of the questions on the final review. Not illegal, but basically said many sellers just tell their agent to return them unopened so it can't be construed to violate Fair Housing Act if one of the losing buyers wants to cause a stink.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Currently doing my CE to renew my license and that was one of the questions on the final review. Not illegal, but basically said many sellers just tell their agent to return them unopened so it can't be construed to violate Fair Housing Act if one of the losing buyers wants to cause a stink.
I want pictures of all prospective buyers. Then I choose based on bid and relative hotness of the wife. Then I leave behind hidden cameras. Profit.