• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I just heard about a new scam phone call. The caller somehow has their number show up as someone you know and it has a photo of that person as if it is from your contact list. You answer it and they say they have your loved one and will kill them if you don't give them money. Someone whimpers in the background to add realism. Apparently, it is super convincing. They talk to the captive and tell them they will be just fine and that once they get the money from your loved one on the phone, they will let them go.
The recommendation is to hang up if you receive this call. Then immediately call your loved one's phone. If it is real, the kidnapper will really have their phone and will answer. If it is a scam, your loved one will answer and have no clue what you are talking about.
Pretty scary what the scammers are able to do with technology.

Somebody watched Luther: The Fallen Sun (2023) (now showing on Netflix)...

HFrog1999

I check up on this thread only every 3-4 months, sometimes longer, but -- damn! -- are Biillups' specialty plates still missing? It's been 11+ years! You'd think somebody would have spotted them.

We foolishly put Josh Gates in charge of the search

happy road trip GIF

Purp

We're impulsively putting an offer on a house. Weren't planning on moving, but my wife randomly checks zillow from time to time and saw a house that checks all of our dream home boxes. We went to see it today and decided we'll make an attempt.

We're going to be competing with other offers. The first one came in a few hours after we went through and there were 10 showings yesterday and today with at least one other offer expected. I remember a discussion a few years ago about tips and tricks for bidding on homes with competing offers.

Hoping the collective sage that is HASMSP can help us submit the winning bid.

FrogAbroad

We're impulsively putting an offer on a house. Weren't planning on moving, but my wife randomly checks zillow from time to time and saw a house that checks all of our dream home boxes. We went to see it today and decided we'll make an attempt.

We're going to be competing with other offers. The first one came in a few hours after we went through and there were 10 showings yesterday and today with at least one other offer expected. I remember a discussion a few years ago about tips and tricks for bidding on homes with competing offers.

Good luck, amigo...hope it works out for you and your family.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

The best tip I have is - bid higher than everyone else. That should do it.

Double V

When you say Dolly Parton to me it brings back memories of my last TCU drive from Fort Worth to DC in Dec '77.

Crossing Tennessee was a 9-hour trek - the longest part of the journey, and usually in the middle of the night. At this time Dolly had her first "crossover" hit into pop radio called "Here You Come Again," a catchy tune that got to #3 on the Billboard Chart (and #1 on the Country Chart. It earned Parton the award for "Best Female Country Vocal Performance" at the Grammy Awards 1978.)

Being in Tennessee, which could have been expected for homers, the radio jocks played this song over and over that night. As we (3 of us) drove eastward - radio was very local in those days - and found new stations to tune into, it was Dolly singing "Here You Come Again." It was a little overkill. It was the joke of the trip!

Gotta say...I didn't picture you as an old...

Purp

The best tip I have is - bid higher than everyone else. That should do it.
This is a different housing market than I've ever competed in. Lots of buyers still and interest rates going up make it hard to gauge where we should come in. They just lowered the price so I'm thinking they've been struggling to get anyone near asking price. A recent comp sold a few months ago for a square foot price about $30K lower than the new price. That's a pretty big delta to guess in.

froginmn

Write a "love letter" talking about how much you love the house and how you will take care of it.

Works sometimes....

Also, depending upon how much you want to spend, escalation clauses are a thing here: will pay 1,000 more than the highest offer, up to x. May want to include some caveats with that: non-contingent offers, etc.

nwlafrog

Buddy of mine is a realtor and house flipper. He just sold one of his properties a few weeks ago to a couple who actually bid lower than the competition because he watched them walk outside to hug each other and pray about it. Thought that was really cool.

He sent me a video of it and said “guess who’s getting this house no matter what”

froginmn

I’ve seen the love letter thing work when the person was NOT the highest bidder but the story was compelling.
My wife is a pretty successful realtor and has seen people react differently to lots of situations; some people try to push for multiple offers when they receive one; others appreciate the ones who put in the offer so they don't call for others.

Regarding letters, it seems like a fair number of people really have an emotional tie to their house so knowing that someone will maintain it well is compelling.

Ron Swanson

I’ve seen the love letter thing work when the person was NOT the highest bidder but the story was compelling.
Yeah this is what happened. Basically wrote a sentimental letter about raising my family in this neighborhood or something. Don’t really remember.

Also let them know I would have no problems financially when it came to closing and that I promised not to be a pain in the arse nitpicking every little thing in the inspection and having them fix it.