• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Ron Swanson

Backwards science.

I particularly enjoy waiting (along with others behind me) for a guy stuttering back and forth in my parking garage while he tries to navigate the backing-in-to-his spot trick. Often takes a couple iterations to get it in there just right.

Here's the science:

1) On a scale of 1 being easiest and 10 the hardest, both pulling into or out of a spot forward is a 1. Couldn't be any easier.
2) Backing out of a spot is about a 4.
3) Backing into a spot is about a 9. I know this based on what I explained above occurring very frequently in my parking garage.

5 < 10

Science
This is so incredibly wrong.

txbearcat

the problem is most drivers even with backup cameras are still terrible at backing in and take forever / multiple attempts. I understand the argument on full size trucks but have zero patience for the guy in the corolla.

Ron Swanson

Sadly It does for many. Between the the camera and mirrors you can see exactly where you are between the lines and how close you can get to the pole in your parking place. My theory is newer cars have such big round front ends and weird blind spots that people can’t easily tell how close they are to anything anymore, so they never bother to learn and only back in to park. once they start putting cameras on the front of cars too people will stop backing in. Lol
I have the 360° cameras on my truck. It’s great

Relic

Backing into a spot is way easier than pulling in forward. It’s also way safer to back into spots than back out of spots. In fact, many companies/parking lots require their employees to back their vehicles into spots.

You have a tighter turning radius backing up than going forward, and when you go forward out of a spot, you are way less likely to hit someone or something. Not to mention, if you drive a truck (as every man should), you have to at least do a 3 point turn to pull in forward to most spots. So the whole argument that it takes longer to back into a spot is just wrong. If you go forward into a spot, it’s a 3 point turn both in and out, but if you back into a spot, it’s a 3 point turn going in, but then you just zip right out and no one has to wait on you to back out.
If you know any firemen, they always back in when they park. Just like backing a fire engine into the station. I had a driver on my fire engine that used to back into the station just as fast as he pulled out going Code 3. Fun times.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
image.gif

froginmn

Episode 13

Our neighbor texted my wife the next morning to cancel their meeting, saying that she wasn't feeling well (no kidding).

A couple hours later she came to our front door to talk to my wife. She said, "you saw, didn't you"; apparently she looked through our front window during the episode and saw that we were sitting there. She asked if it was us who called the police; my wife told her it wasn't.

She then told my wife (who's not her friend) pretty much the entire story. He WAS assaulting her, and when the cops appeared he apparently told her, I'm going to go to jail, get fired and lose my ability to see my kids. You can't let that happen.

So she lied to the police and told them it wasn't what it looked like. He apparently had also hid her cell phone; somehow the police knew this or asked about it; they made him/her get the phone so she had it. Yikes!

She said she was thinking about leaving the country and asked what my wife thought. Good idea.

Then a few hours later she came back and told my wife that she'd gone out to lunch with him and they are going to try to make things work.

My wife is wondering why she's suddenly her friend.

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

Episode 13

Our neighbor texted my wife the next morning to cancel their meeting, saying that she wasn't feeling well (no kidding).

A couple hours later she came to our front door to talk to my wife. She said, "you saw, didn't you"; apparently she looked through our front window during the episode and saw that we were sitting there. She asked if it was us who called the police; my wife told her it wasn't.

She then told my wife (who's not her friend) pretty much the entire story. He WAS assaulting her, and when the cops appeared he apparently told her, I'm going to go to jail, get fired and lose my ability to see my kids. You can't let that happen.

So she lied to the police and told them it wasn't what it looked like. He apparently had also hid her cell phone; somehow the police knew this or asked about it; they made him/her get the phone so she had it. Yikes!

She said she was thinking about leaving the country and asked what my wife thought. Good idea.

Then a few hours later she came back and told my wife that she'd gone out to lunch with him and they are going to try to make things work.

My wife is wondering why she's suddenly her friend.
“First thing I would do is sell this house and get the hell out of town”

Double V

OK I realized I have two pics that I had taken to text my wife and after a little cropping they're perfect. One is from last fall when she was vacuuming leaves in her skirt and nylons. The other is from when they were walking Thatcher in a stroller.

View attachment 11691

View attachment 11692
Gotta say. The pics aren't NEARLY as weird as what I was picturing in my head...

I wonder if they have a thread on their forum about their weird neighbor who photographs them out his front window while they do normal things...

FrogUltimate

I used to be in the camp of backing into parking spots, and still am in super crowded situations where getting out is a nightmare, but I've changed my tune. Very little that's more annoying than going through a park lot right behind someone only for them to pull up to the left at an angle, and then have to play chicken with them as I try to shoot the gap to the right instead of waiting for them to figure out how to back up into a spot.