• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

MTfrog5

Window World is popular bc they advertise all over the place, but they're not your best option IMO. Out where you are I'd recommend going to a McCoy's store to find your windows. The company I worked for was Atrium and was merged with PlyGem last year. Those windows can be bought in Lowe's stores under the Reliabilt brand or at McCoy's under the Atrium brand. PlyGem windows can be bought in Home Depot. After the merger they're the single largest window manufacturer in North America, not that it helps you get better windows.

I recommend McCoy's bc their service offering sounds like the best among all of our customers. You'll get better answers to your questions in the store and also the best deal on installation.

SnoSki may not benefit from McCoy's as they're generally out in more rural areas, but there are other options available in the city.

$125 a window for installation is a pretty good price. I put new windows in my dads house several years ago for Father's Day and our service technicians charged me $100 per window and that included disposal of old ones. That's a good old boy discount so if you have someone who isn't a buddy quoting $125 a hole I'd take it.

On quality...

The glass coating and spacer are the two biggest factors in energy savings. The amount of benefit from various LoE coatings can be significant. LoE SC is the most common coating in Texas for Guardian Glass and LoE 270 is the most common for Cardinal Glass. There's essentially no difference between the two so don't get hung up on either of those.

LoE 366 is a premium coating from Cardinal that is very impressive. I've seen demos (science fair type displays) of the amount of energy transfer it blocks and it's remarkable. If you want energy efficiency and can afford it I'd recommend it. If you're worried about the appearance of the windows more than energy cost savings you may not like it. It's a darker blue color from the street and some home owners don't like it. Builders don't like it much due to cost.

As I alluded to, the energy savings is excellent with it. LoE 270 and SC are pretty good about keeping heat out, but they allow some heat transfer out compared with 366. The 366 coating allows virtually nothing in or out.

The window series quality is something difficult to determine at purchase and the outlet you buy from may not even know much warranty detail on them either. I'd definitely try to get that, though. Design has a lot to do with how easy it is to build quality windows and how easy it is to screw up a window in the manufacturing process. At Atrium our 130 series was very popular and tended to have more warranty issues. A comparable window was the 8100 series and it had far fewer warranty issues at virtually the same price point and performance level. I put 8100 series windows in my dad's house, FWIW. The 130 series was popular with customers bc it had a lot more options available, (painted colors, bronze and black laminate, flange or no flange, replacement or new construction, etc. The 8100 was a premium single hung window for replacement only and was offered in white, clay, or almond colors only. That said, due to the variety of options they tried to design into the 130 series it became exceedingly difficult to manufacture without various quality issues. Since the 8100 came in only 3 colors with no variations it was simple to manufacture with high quality.

PlyGem was a massive window company, but they captured their market share by undercutting everyone on price. Their quality leaves a lot to be desired, though the new plant manager (my old boss) in the Dallas plant has already made big strides with their quality processes with the HD windows made there.

Double hung windows are a personal preference. You pay a lot for them and they're great to have, but my personal preference is that they aren't worth the money.

I've got more, but I think that's enough on mobile for now and I'm not real sure what all I've covered and omitted at this point. If you want more info or have more questions feel free to call me. I think I gave you my number once.
Example of why I will come here if I have any questions about anything. Someone in here will always have an answer.

PO Frog

Window World is popular bc they advertise all over the place, but they're not your best option IMO. Out where you are I'd recommend going to a McCoy's store to find your windows. The company I worked for was Atrium and was merged with PlyGem last year. Those windows can be bought in Lowe's stores under the Reliabilt brand or at McCoy's under the Atrium brand. PlyGem windows can be bought in Home Depot. After the merger they're the single largest window manufacturer in North America, not that it helps you get better windows.

I recommend McCoy's bc their service offering sounds like the best among all of our customers. You'll get better answers to your questions in the store and also the best deal on installation.

SnoSki may not benefit from McCoy's as they're generally out in more rural areas, but there are other options available in the city.

$125 a window for installation is a pretty good price. I put new windows in my dads house several years ago for Father's Day and our service technicians charged me $100 per window and that included disposal of old ones. That's a good old boy discount so if you have someone who isn't a buddy quoting $125 a hole I'd take it.

On quality...

The glass coating and spacer are the two biggest factors in energy savings. The amount of benefit from various LoE coatings can be significant. LoE SC is the most common coating in Texas for Guardian Glass and LoE 270 is the most common for Cardinal Glass. There's essentially no difference between the two so don't get hung up on either of those.

LoE 366 is a premium coating from Cardinal that is very impressive. I've seen demos (science fair type displays) of the amount of energy transfer it blocks and it's remarkable. If you want energy efficiency and can afford it I'd recommend it. If you're worried about the appearance of the windows more than energy cost savings you may not like it. It's a darker blue color from the street and some home owners don't like it. Builders don't like it much due to cost.

As I alluded to, the energy savings is excellent with it. LoE 270 and SC are pretty good about keeping heat out, but they allow some heat transfer out compared with 366. The 366 coating allows virtually nothing in or out.

The window series quality is something difficult to determine at purchase and the outlet you buy from may not even know much warranty detail on them either. I'd definitely try to get that, though. Design has a lot to do with how easy it is to build quality windows and how easy it is to screw up a window in the manufacturing process. At Atrium our 130 series was very popular and tended to have more warranty issues. A comparable window was the 8100 series and it had far fewer warranty issues at virtually the same price point and performance level. I put 8100 series windows in my dad's house, FWIW. The 130 series was popular with customers bc it had a lot more options available, (painted colors, bronze and black laminate, flange or no flange, replacement or new construction, etc. The 8100 was a premium single hung window for replacement only and was offered in white, clay, or almond colors only. That said, due to the variety of options they tried to design into the 130 series it became exceedingly difficult to manufacture without various quality issues. Since the 8100 came in only 3 colors with no variations it was simple to manufacture with high quality.

PlyGem was a massive window company, but they captured their market share by undercutting everyone on price. Their quality leaves a lot to be desired, though the new plant manager (my old boss) in the Dallas plant has already made big strides with their quality processes with the HD windows made there.

Double hung windows are a personal preference. You pay a lot for them and they're great to have, but my personal preference is that they aren't worth the money.

I've got more, but I think that's enough on mobile for now and I'm not real sure what all I've covered and omitted at this point. If you want more info or have more questions feel free to call me. I think I gave you my number once.
You recommend going all 220?

Eight

You recommend going all 220?

tenor.gif

netty2424

On quality...

Does exterior paint or laminate hold up better? Wife has decided black exterior/white interior windows.

Purp

Does exterior paint or laminate hold up better? Wife has decided black exterior/white interior windows.
If probably go laminate. I've seen examples of black laminate by Renolit (laminate film maker) in Arizona for 15 years with a statistically insignificant delta on the spectrometer. Paint looks better new bc it's typically painted after it's manufactured so there are no touch-ups required at the welds. That said, it can be damaged fairly easily. It holds up well to weather, but can still be scratched or smeared with cleaning agents. A hail storm could even do some damage to paint where laminate would be unphased.

It's a really interesting debate in the window industry. I've learned it's another matter of preference among window people. The painted window looks beautiful when painted after welding so aesthetic people prefer it. Process people also prefer it bc laminate film adds 8 mils to the thickness so that can sometimes require punch dies to be opened slightly and welders to be adjusted to accommodate. I think durability folks lean toward laminate, though. I'm a supply chain guy and my laminate supplier was miles better than my paint suppliers so I may have a bias toward laminate for that reason too.

Purp

FWIW, I'd be cautious about black exterior. Black is definitely growing in popularity, but I'm wondering if it's got longevity or if it's a short term fad. If it's a short term fad it could affect resale value on a house with a bunch of windows. We're seeing a lot of recent requests for it at my new job for shower hardware and mirror frames, but it sounds like a designer preference aimed at differentiating new offerings rather than providing something people will like for a long time. I just wonder if this is the window/bathroom equivalent of shag carpet and olive green/mustard yellow appliances.

ATC Frog

Came in here to say the Stars need to wake up because Nashville looked way more crisp to start, but then Dallas had a flurry where they did just about everything right except score a goal.

Edit: they just showed Dirk enjoying the game in a suite. Good for him.

tcudoc

On quality...

What is your take on black jackets? Myth or reality?

Purp

Came in here to say the Stars need to wake up because Nashville looked way more crisp to start, but then Dallas had a flurry where they did just about everything right except score a goal.

Edit: they just showed Dirk enjoying the game in a suite. Good for him.
Yep. They dominated the final 5 minutes. Hopefully that transfers to the 2nd period. Miro and Val were the best Stars in the first period. How awesome would it be for Val to get his first goal of the season in the playoffs?

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
FWIW, I'd be cautious about black exterior. Black is definitely growing in popularity, but I'm wondering if it's got longevity or if it's a short term fad. If it's a short term fad it could affect resale value on a house with a bunch of windows. We're seeing a lot of recent requests for it at my new job for shower hardware and mirror frames, but it sounds like a designer preference aimed at differentiating new offerings rather than providing something people will like for a long time. I just wonder if this is the window/bathroom equivalent of shag carpet and olive green/mustard yellow appliances.

Ahem.

The hot colors were harvest gold and avocado green.

netty2424

I’ve expressed concern with the black windows as well, but we went with an old white farmhouse. I built some cedar shutters last week and we have cedar posts under the front porch. But with white paint and silver metal roof, it needs a third color to break that up or it kind of washes out.

Purp

I’ve expressed concern with the black windows as well, but we went with an old white farmhouse. I built some cedar shutters last week and we have cedar posts under the front porch. But with white paint and silver metal roof, it needs a third color to break that up or it kind of washes out.
I'm not a design guy and wouldn't trust my own advice on what colors would look good for what reasons. I just haven't ever seen a situation where I felt like black windows looked better than some other options. There are laminate films that have a wood grain to them that may compliment your shutters nicely. Just a thought.