• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

nwlafrog

Two things:
Pedos are far more common than most people realize. Even if we're only talking 1 in 50 (2% of the population), that could be as many as 10-20 included in the average facebook "Friend" list. And that's just counting the ones the police have caught. I don't know how many "friends" of my aunt edna may be sex offenders, caught or closeted. Why take the chance and expose my kid's identity to them?

I travel out of town frequently for music and one of my biggest fears is someone stealing my kid while I'm 3 states away. It makes it harder for someone to do that if they don't know what he looks like.

Call me crazy but the bottom line for me is that it's rude to post pics of other people's kids on FB without asking. I don't care if you choose to do that with your kids, it's your family and your freedom to do so. Just don't take away my ability to choose to get "likes" from your "friends."

Well, now I’m paranoid about the subject too after those statistics.

Ron Swanson

Well, now I’m paranoid about the subject too after those statistics.
My wife works in marriage and family therapy and I’ve learned that the amount of child molesters and pedofiles out there is much higher than you’d imagine. Everyone with a kid should be very aware of the issue and have conversations with their kid about not ever letting anyone touch them (it’s obviously a difficult/sensitive conversation to have but there are ways of correctly wording it).

I’m shocked at how often my wife comes home and tells me about some case where the kid was touched by an uncle or step-dad or cousin or family friend. And a lot of the time, the pattern seems to repeat itself... the guy doing the touching was touched as a kid. Similar to guys who hit their wives/kids.

And a lot of the time, the mom takes the family member’s side and doesn’t believe their kid.

All that being said, I would highly doubt that the statistics snoski wrote would correlate statistically to most of our FB friends lists. I’d like to think that most of us (and most of our family members) have “higher quality” friends than a random group of 1,000 Americans picked with no regard to education, geography or income level.

Purp

My wife works in marriage and family therapy and I’ve learned that the amount of child molesters and pedofiles out there is much higher than you’d imagine. Everyone with a kid should be very aware of the issue and have conversations with their kid about not ever letting anyone touch them (it’s obviously a difficult/sensitive conversation to have but there are ways of correctly wording it).

I’m shocked at how often my wife comes home and tells me about some case where the kid was touched by an uncle or step-dad or cousin or family friend. And a lot of the time, the pattern seems to repeat itself... the guy doing the touching was touched as a kid. Similar to guys who hit their wives/kids.

And a lot of the time, the mom takes the family member’s side and doesn’t believe their kid.

All that being said, I would highly doubt that the statistics snoski wrote would correlate statistically to most of our FB friends lists. I’d like to think that most of us (and most of our family members) have “higher quality” friends than a random group of 1,000 Americans picked with no regard to education, geography or income level.
This is a good point and I also have a tough time trusting any statistics on this because of the reasons you stated. It just seems like it would be way too easy to misrepresent the universe with the types of sample sets that exist out there used to make these estimates.

I don't mean to insinuate that this isn't a problem, I've grown highly suspicious of statistics created and published by academia bc the majority of the studies getting the most press on whatever the subject tend to have so many obvious holes and assumptions I wonder how they even got published in the first place.

All that said, I would not be shocked if seemingly normal people in my extended family have some skeletons like this in their closet. I've been shocked too many times by people I thought were as straightlaced as they come turning out to be criminals and crazies. Like Ron, though, I know them pretty well and don't think they are.

netty2424

tcudoc

9126524.jpg

I saw this picture on another site and couldn't help but think that this looks like how I used to play basketball. Certainly doesn't inspire confidence in shot selection when you're doing the one handed, throw it up there like a football from a falling backwards position type of shot.
I didn't get to witness much TCU basketball this season, but, from reading the threads, this is pretty much how I envisioned the shots taken by him might look like.

9126524.jpg

I saw this picture on another site and couldn't help but think that this looks like how I used to play basketball. Certainly doesn't inspire confidence in shot selection when you're doing the one handed, throw it up there like a football from a falling backwards position type of shot.
I didn't get to witness much TCU basketball this season, but, from reading the threads, this is pretty much how I envisioned the shots taken by him might look like.
Actually that particular left hand drive to the basket with that exact shot angle may be Alex’ highest percentage shot