• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

PurplFrawg

Administrator
When was this? Is this a common event? They say the people commit suicide by jumping regularly in Las Vegas.
1974, IIRC. It was shortly after that they closed the observation deck for a long time. One regent at the time was quoted as saying that it didn't matter; if they closed the Tower, people would just jump off Belmont Hall (UT Football Stadium.) Shortly afterwards a student jumped to his death from Belmont.

SnoSki

Apparently this is a big thing jumping from Golden Gate Bridge. Several documentaries on it. It's high enough that the water might as well be concrete.
Interesting. From Wikipedia...

“Between 1937 and 2012, an estimated 1,600 bodies were recovered of people who had jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge, located in the San Francisco Bay Area in the United States.[1]

That’s a rate of about 21.3 per year. Nearly 2 a month for 75 years!

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Interesting. From Wikipedia...

“Between 1937 and 2012, an estimated 1,600 bodies were recovered of people who had jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge, located in the San Francisco Bay Area in the United States.[1]

That’s a rate of about 21.3 per year. Nearly 2 a month for 75 years!
giphy.gif

netty2424

It’s pretty crazy that they caught them... well not caught, but on video.
Yah it's been years since I saw the documentary but I feel like I remember seeing or maybe read somewhere that there are watch groups that sit on the hills with binoculars and watch the bridge, and call for help for people they think might jump.

TheFDN

Yah it's been years since I saw the documentary but I feel like I remember seeing or maybe read somewhere that there are watch groups that sit on the hills with binoculars and watch the bridge, and call for help for people they think might jump.

They are in the process of completing a netting system that extends 20 feet out along the bridge to hopefully cure this problem.

For some reason I agreed to rent a two seater bike and ride across the bridge a few years ago. It was windy af, and I was certain I was going to get blown over the railing and either die from the fall or get eating by the sharks. Never again.

GeoFrog