• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

tcujsauce

For those of y’all interested in Texas History, my mom just got me turned onto a podcast called “Wise About Texas” by a Texas judge named Ken Wise.

I just listened to episode 50 where he talks about the beginning of the Texas Rangers. I’ve always heard that my ancestors were involved with the genesis of the Texas Rangers, but never knew the specifics. Turns out that in 1823 Stephen F Austin wrote a letter stating that he was going to fund a private military/police force to help keep the colony safe from Indians, etc... they started off with 10 members and 3 of them were part of my family, Abner Kuykendall (my five-great grandfather) and his sons Gibson and Robert (I’m descended through Gibson). This group didn’t have a name at this point, but it is what ended up becoming the Texas Rangers.

Then starting in 1827, Abner apparently was the leader (captain I believe?) of this group for 5 or so years. Then if I remember correctly, they finally started becoming official and became called the Rangers sometime in the 1830’s.

Pretty cool stuff.

Anyway, I’ve only listened to the one episode so far, but it was pretty entertaining and I think a lot of y’all would enjoy it.

Just looked it up, mostly half hour-ish episodes, so perfect for a commute listen. Starting it this evening.

tcujsauce

Going to take my first step in the fight against The Man and his ridiculous and unconstitutional traffic law photo enforcement system tonight. I fully expect to lose in this Kangaroo Court they have set up, but wish me luck anyway!

I got one about 4 months ago. Threw it in the trash. Would be interested to hear how that goes for you.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Going to take my first step in the fight against The Man and his ridiculous and unconstitutional traffic law photo enforcement system tonight. I fully expect to lose in this Kangaroo Court they have set up, but wish me luck anyway!
Are you disputing it tonight, or did you already do so and set up a hearing?

Horny 4 Life

Are you disputing it tonight, or did you already do so and set up a hearing?

Disputed it already. Tonight is the hearing before the police appointed, hearing officer.

Based upon all obtainable information this is a kangaroo court that will result in a guilty verdict. Then I'll appeal it to the Municipal Court and a real judge will hear the case.

Of course, there will be no evidence for that judge to review because there will be no transcript or other record of this hearing beyond the slip of paper where the Hearing Officer checks off a box labeled "Fine Upheld," or some such bullpucky.

Good times!

Dogfrog

Disputed it already. Tonight is the hearing before the police appointed, hearing officer.

Based upon all obtainable information this is a kangaroo court that will result in a guilty verdict. Then I'll appeal it to the Municipal Court and a real judge will hear the case.

Of course, there will be no evidence for that judge to review because there will be no transcript or other record of this hearing beyond the slip of paper where the Hearing Officer checks off a box labeled "Fine Upheld," or some such bullpucky.

Good times!

Tell them you would like to meet the officers who watche those videos eight hours a day. Just curious to meet that guy and make sure he’s ok.

Dogfrog

For those of y’all interested in Texas History, my mom just got me turned onto a podcast called “Wise About Texas” by a Texas judge named Ken Wise.

I just listened to episode 50 where he talks about the beginning of the Texas Rangers. I’ve always heard that my ancestors were involved with the genesis of the Texas Rangers, but never knew the specifics. Turns out that in 1823 Stephen F Austin wrote a letter stating that he was going to fund a private military/police force to help keep the colony safe from Indians, etc... they started off with 10 members and 3 of them were part of my family, Abner Kuykendall (my five-great grandfather) and his sons Gibson and Robert (I’m descended through Gibson). This group didn’t have a name at this point, but it is what ended up becoming the Texas Rangers.

Then starting in 1827, Abner apparently was the leader (captain I believe?) of this group for 5 or so years. Then if I remember correctly, they finally started becoming official and became called the Rangers sometime in the 1830’s.

Pretty cool stuff.

Anyway, I’ve only listened to the one episode so far, but it was pretty entertaining and I think a lot of y’all would enjoy it.

You made this up! Actually an extremely cool thing for you and your family.

Horny 4 Life

Going to count this one as a victory!

I had the police chief pissed at me because he didn't understand his own Township legislative process and I told him so. Meanwhile, the hearing officer seemed amused that I came loaded for bear at a rabbit hunt.

In the end, he acknowledged that my arguments would probably win in the appeal court, but claimed he did not have the statutory authority to dismiss the ticket. Of course, that's utter bullpucky, but he wanted to get some money out of the deal.

After a little negotiation we settled at $35, which is cheaper than the cost of appealing and a $100 discount off the price of the ticket.

Going home to drink some tasty bourbon.

Ron Swanson

Going to count this one as a victory!

I had the police chief pissed at me because he didn't understand his own Township legislative process and I told him so. Meanwhile, the hearing officer seemed amused that I came loaded for bear at a rabbit hunt.

In the end, he acknowledged that my arguments would probably win in the appeal court, but claimed he did not have the statutory authority to dismiss the ticket. Of course, that's utter bullpucky, but he wanted to get some money out of the deal.

After a little negotiation we settled at $35, which is cheaper than the cost of appealing and a $100 discount off the price of the ticket.

Going home to drink some tasty bourbon.
1305637352_players-crazy-celebrating.gif

ShadowFrog

Moderators

Pretty cool stuff.

That’s one helluva legacy to pass to your kid(s).

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Whether you’re ex-military or just into their mindset, try almost anything by W.E.B. Griffin. He’s easily written 20+ books & good news is his son is carrying on the torch without missing a beat for the next generation-William Butterworth IV.

Purp

Back when I was traveling a lot for work I started reading the Bill O’Reilly Killing Lincoln book. I liked it because I like history... a lot. I’m sure the series of “killing” books are all pretty good.

I’ll probably start the Killing Jesus book next.
Got a free copy of this from the USO while deployed. Entertaining read, but had some accuracy issues. Never was interested in another of that series after that.

MTfrog5

Pretty cool stuff.

Listened to the first two episodes already. Pretty neat. Voice is very boring but information is awesome. Like that he describes where you can go see whatever he’s talking about

TCURiggs

Pretty cool stuff.

Your Mom went to college...