• The KillerFrogs

Happy Masters Week

Mean Purple

he plays more run of the mill tournaments than most multi-major winners and we are one of the few he has won he doesn't continue to play.

my understanding is the execs at Crowne Plaza got mad when he ran off Friday and didn't stay for the Saturday Pink Out that they did just for him and he was being demanding in the renegotiations as their spokesperson- so they ended his contract and gave it to Ricky Fowler. Then he got petty, blamed the course changes for his missed cut and stopped showing up.

He is the really the only previous champion that doesn't show up so far - although I doubt Adam Scott will show up much since he only played it the year he won to keep #1 in the world status and now that Sergio is back playing well, he may show up less although his significant other does push him to play Texas evidently.
And you base all this on what source?

Sponsor execs have little to nothing to do with player invites.

flyfishingfrog

You are kidding right ? You don’t think the main sponsor of the tournament has any pull on if the player they pay millions to be represent their product gets invited to play in an all Invitational tournament?

If Charles Schwab wanted his grandson to play he would get a Champions invite tomorrow

I had retired from the tournament committee by 2010 so mostly talk in the 19th hole - which doesn’t mean it’s all true but sure was a lot of talk if not - and he doesn’t come anymore so there is that. Plus he complained about the changes publicly.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

You are kidding right ? You don’t think the main sponsor of the tournament has any pull on if the player they pay millions to be represent their product gets invited to play in an all Invitational tournament?

If Charleen Schwab wanted his grandson to play he would get a Champions invite tomorrow

I had retired from the tournament committee by 2010 so mostly talk in the 19th hole - which doesn’t mean it’s all true but sure was a lot of talk if not - and he doesn’t come anymore so there is that. Plus he complained about the changes publicly.
He was here in 2017.

Sponsor deals typically require the player to appear in tournaments they title sponsor every “X” number of years. They also usually require them to make “X” number of appearances for the sponsor each year, whether it’s for dinners or private golf events.

As for the “invitation,” Phil and Ricky are going to be invited to play because of their ranking, so the sponsor doesn’t factor in their case. Whether or not they choose to play is a factor of their deal with said sponsor and conflicting events.

flyfishingfrog

Crowne Plaza sponsorship is probably 99% why Phil and Rickie played Colonial.
Well their sponsorship ending definitely seems to have affected Fowler not coming

He did come before he was sponsored by them but that was early career and he did win the Hogan recently at that point

I actually think Phil’s original win at Colonial helped him get the deal with Crowne Plaza but that deal ending also affected his lack of attendance since then it seems

flyfishingfrog

According to the Charles' Schwab Challenge facebook page: Masters Tournament top-ten finishers Xander Schauffele, Brooks Koepka, Jon Rahm, and Patrick Cantlay will all be competing at the Charles Schwab Challenge next month."

https://www.charlesschwabchallenge.com/players/tournament-field

You also have Jordan Spieth, Justin Rose, and Justin Thomas.
hopefully the spring break boys convince their missing buddies to show up - getting those guys will be important for the next 10 years

Mean Purple