• The KillerFrogs

Gunner/Feisty (and others)

SnoSki

Every year, it seems that we as fans are surprised by one or more new traits that our football team didn't really have the year before.

When TB left, we were surprised (though I'm sure some will pound their chest and say they predicted it) that Chase Ortiz was such a monster. When Ortiz was gone, we were surprised by how good Jerry Hughes was.

When Ballard left, we didn't know if AD would be able to fill in those shoes, much less become TCU's yardage leader a few years down the road.

We were surprised by how well the wild frog worked two years ago, when BYU was its first victim. Last year, I was surprised somewhat by how well Tank Carder just stepped into the LB spot, and how well D-Wash played throughout the season.

What will surprise us this year as fans?

McFroggin

Our offense is expected to dominate, so it'll have to be on defense. I think our DB's are the most iffy, but DE has room to show-off as well with Hughes leaving.

SnoSki

QUOTE(McFroggin @ Apr 5 2010, 03:27 PM) [snapback]540729[/snapback]
Our offense is expected to dominate, so it'll have to be on defense. I think our DB's are the most iffy, but DE has room to show-off as well with Hughes leaving.

Good points re the DBs.. I think I'll be pleasantly surprised by how well our new CBs fill in.

talor

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ Apr 5 2010, 09:28 AM) [snapback]540732[/snapback]
Good points re the DBs.. I think I'll be pleasantly surprised by how well our new CBs fill in.

I think McCoy and Teague are superior athletes compared to Priest and Sanders. What remains to be seen is if they have the technique and smarts to be as good of football players.

SnoSki

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 5 2010, 03:39 PM) [snapback]540746[/snapback]
Hope it is Broughton.

Me too. For some reason, I have doubts with him, and it almost embarrasses me to say that. I know he's huge, but I'm not positive that he'll walk right onto the scene and be a stud like JH was. I hope that if anything, he learned to have a high-intensity motor that never quits. This was JH's biggest asset.. more than his speed.

I think we'll all be surprised at the extent to which our stable of running back sits on the bench while we try to air it out. :wacko:

oldscribe

QUOTE(BigRedFrog @ Apr 5 2010, 09:53 AM) [snapback]540752[/snapback]
I think we'll all be surprised at the extent to which our stable of running back sits on the bench while we try to air it out. :wacko:

I disagree. It will be a balanced attack....40 rushes, 30 passes.....or more rushes if the defense totally shuts down a foe. (I think TCU is gonna have the ball a LOT).

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Define surprise.

I think Broughton will be a beast but he has had that expectation on him for a while, so...

Can Waymon James be a surprise?

If I picked the biggest surprises they would probably be:

Defense:

Jurell Thompson-not sure if he will replace Luttrell but kid is going to make an impact
David Johnson-will get plenty of PT behind Grant & Griffin
Malcolm Williams-he is getting rode hard because right now he is the depth, but he will come through
Kenny Cain-will push hard to start

Offense:

Waymon James-kid is fun to watch.
Josh Boyce-much needed dept at WR and will get plenty of shots to show what he can do.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(BigRedFrog @ Apr 5 2010, 10:53 AM) [snapback]540752[/snapback]

So the 12 regular season games (2-to-1 rushes to passes) were the anomaly, not the 1 bowl game.

'kay........

McFroggin

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Apr 5 2010, 09:58 AM) [snapback]540757[/snapback]
Define surprise.

I think Broughton will be a beast but he has had that expectation on him for a while, so...

He had big expectations his first year here. By second year, they were shrinking. With a walk-on pushing him for 2nd string for 2 years, I don't think many people on this board "expect" anything. Hoping - yes. Expecting - not me.

SnoSki

QUOTE(McFroggin @ Apr 5 2010, 04:04 PM) [snapback]540763[/snapback]
He had big expectations his first year here. By second year, they were shrinking. With a walk-on pushing him for 2nd string for 2 years, I don't think many people on this board "expect" anything. Hoping - yes. Expecting - not me.

Bingo. I just don't have the faith in Broughton that many do. I'm sure he's a great guy and he's certainly very athletic, but we're just not hearing much about him in these practice reports from Stephenson(sp?), Gunner or otherwise.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ Apr 5 2010, 11:17 AM) [snapback]540777[/snapback]
Bingo. I just don't have the faith in Broughton that many do. I'm sure he's a great guy and he's certainly very athletic, but we're just not hearing much about him in these practice reports from Stephenson(sp?), Gunner or otherwise.

The problems with Broughton have never been his desire or athletic ability but rather his inexperience and ability to read the plays. He has improved tremendously and you know CGP wouldn't hang him out there if he didn't have confidence in him.

Gunner

Great question.

I have commented on this once before, but I think our defense could possibly make up for the loss of Hughes and Washington, by the play of one guy. And this is probably a reach. But I think McCoy is the most underrated player, almost ever, to come thru the program. Only 2 entrenched and talented seniors could keep him out of the lineup.

Saw him make 3 interceptions last year in one practice last year and acrobatic type catches too. And that is the not the first time he has done something like that. In one game last year, Priest was out, and McCoy was in on three plays, where he could have made interceptions. Most people will be satisfied to have 3 interceptions in a year. He is a playmaker, and I predict he will be player of year on defense for us...

Considering Broughton and Leatch, who have really come one, that too will help make up for Hughes. They are not that good, but they could be all conference types, if they keep up the effort. Put that with alot of senior returning starters, and this defense could be the equal of last year.

And you know about the offense.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(McFroggin @ Apr 5 2010, 11:04 AM) [snapback]540763[/snapback]

Which is why I hope he's a surprise, in that he breaks out and brings what everyone thought he would.

bullfrog69

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 5 2010, 01:43 PM) [snapback]540890[/snapback]
Which is why I hope he's a surprise, in that he breaks out and brings what everyone thought he would.

we won't know how good he is until hes out there playing most of the game. that's where it counts. remember jerry hughes? we didn't hear much about him until the 08 season. i remember the exact play, against new mexico it think, where he intercepted that pass and ran it back. you could tell he was going to make big plays. mccoy is another defensive guy that i think is going to make a ton of big plays next year.

ThaNewLB.U.TCU

QUOTE(Burner1 @ Apr 5 2010, 12:31 PM) [snapback]540884[/snapback]
About the only thing that would suprise me is if we find someone who can kick off deep into the end zone.

I know it has been rumored that Tank has been kicking. I don't know if they would actually do it but he has been working on kicking off in practice and might have the strongest leg out of anyone. Would be a perk to have your kicker be one of the best tacklers on the field.

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Boyce has a 1,000 yard receiving year.

James and Wesley have 1,000 yard rushing years.

No surprise....

MNC -
TCU 31
Ohio St 13