• The KillerFrogs

Gundy Issues Public Apology After Learning How His T-Shirt Affected His Players’ Hearts

tcudoc

If the claim is that his t-shirt affected their hearts, I think there needs to be proof. I would demand a chest x-ray, echocardiogram, ECG, and cardiac catheterization for starters. If no abnormalities are found, then we have an entirely different situation. If damage is found, it should be written up as a case report and a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial should be done to evaluate the incidence of such a condition.
I did a pub med search and found nothing in published literature that would suggest a connection between a t-shirt or an acronym or a news station that leads to heart injury. An argument could be made, I guess, for takotsubo cardiomyopathy due to extreme sadness, but I think the chest x-rays and echo studies would help rule that in or out.
I hope they pursue this angle. It would be very interesting.

Pharm Frog

If the claim is that his t-shirt affected their hearts, I think there needs to be proof. I would demand a chest x-ray, echocardiogram, ECG, and cardiac catheterization for starters. If no abnormalities are found, then we have an entirely different situation. If damage is found, it should be written up as a case report and a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial should be done to evaluate the
I did a pub med search and found nothing in published literature that would suggest a connection between a t-shirt or an acronym or a news station that leads to heart injury. An argument could be made, I guess, for takotsubo cardiomyopathy due to extreme sadness, but I think the chest x-rays and echo studies would help rule that in or out.

Odd that you didn’t ask for a placebo control. Or was placebo implied? White Hanes T-shirt? Or would it’s whiteness skew the results? Shirtless control with multi-skin tone models?

tcudoc

Odd that you didn’t ask for a placebo control. Or was placebo implied? White Hanes T-shirt? Or would it’s whiteness skew the results? Shirtless control with multi-skin tone models?
I thought it was implied with the "controlled" part, but I could have clarified better. Tank top vs Hanes crew could be an entirely different study.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
If the claim is that his t-shirt affected their hearts, I think there needs to be proof. I would demand a chest x-ray, echocardiogram, ECG, and cardiac catheterization for starters. If no abnormalities are found, then we have an entirely different situation. If damage is found, it should be written up as a case report and a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial should be done to evaluate the incidence of such a condition.
We could turn the guys claiming heart injury over to some Native American practitioners. Those old unemployed Aztec fellows are experts at hearts...

Pharm Frog

I thought it was implied with the "controlled" part, but I could have clarified better. Tank top vs Hanes crew could be an entirely different study.

Even better if you specify multi-center trial and don’t forget to power for all sub-populations.

HG73

Wonder how much sh!t Gundy had to gag down to make him apologize to a player because of a tshirt. Poor [ "illegitimate Baylor boy" ]. Bear Bryant rolling around in his grave.

Wonder if he would have apologized if the player wasn't the best player on the team.

Did I mention that this crap has gone on way too long?

froginmn

If TCU's treatment of you can cause Type 1 diabetes, it's not a stretch to say the T- shirt can cause heart damage.