• The KillerFrogs

Growing Up The Quarterback

Eight

I do, and I think it will get fixed. What I'm hearing from you and a couple others though is that stuff like that doesn't matter and it shouldn't bother anyone.

kenny hill smiled on the sideline all the way through the end of his playing days. i don't seem to recall too much frustration on his face when he threw that int against stanford in the first quarter of the bowl game.

as i said people are projecting what they want to see on robinson and it just isn't him, sorry but he is who he is and gary and sonny knew that when they recruited him

Chongo94

I think that anyone who didn’t think we probably faced a transfer what with the quality of qbs we have and will have on campus, new redshirt rule or not, was doing some serious wishful thinking.

Maybe I’m just way off base here, but to me, the humiliation of throwing an interception or fumbling and hurting my team’s chance of winning in front of 95,000 fans is a much greater teaching moment and consequence than getting benched for a series or two.

I don’t think you bench somebody to show them there are consequences...losing because of something you did is a far much worse consequence than sitting out a series.

I can see possibly sitting somebody so you can settle them down and allow them to get their emotions back in check. Robinson has shown no outward signs, though, that the moment has been too big for him.

I like SR and think he will end up being a special player but right now he is kind of a hot mess. Given 7 turnovers in 2 games I would disagree regarding the moment being to big for him. This to shall pass though as he will grow into the starting QB role.

Wexahu

kenny hill smiled on the sideline all the way through the end of his playing days. i don't seem to recall too much frustration on his face when he threw that int against stanford in the first quarter of the bowl game.

as i said people are projecting what they want to see on robinson and it just isn't him, sorry but he is who he is and gary and sonny knew that when they recruited him

Ok, fair enough. I've almost never seen a really good QB (or any QB for that matter) smile and laugh after making a critical mistake in a big ballgame, but if that's the way he rolls, that's the way he rolls.

People are making way too much out of Robinson smiling on the sidelines. People handle adversity in different ways. Denial can be a powerful weapon in sports performance.

That being said, I seem to recall he was with a group of players (and possibly Hill) when he was smiling. How do we know that they weren’t trying to keep him loose and prevent him from burying himself by dwelling on it?

The coaches know if his heart is in it, or not. If there was even a shred of evidence that Robinson isn’t taking this seriously, then I doubt he’d be on the field at all.

netty2424

Don't want to make too big a deal out of it, he'll learn, but there's no doubt it's a bad look. The alternative to not smiling doesn't have to be crawling under a rock and getting down on yourself. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, you name them, all the greatest competitors that have played the position......I can't imagine any of them smiling and laughing after throwing a critical interception in a close game. They'd be as pissed off at themselves as can be and they'd be channeling their anger and chomping at the bit to get back in and redeem themselves. And before you tell me, I know that at this stage of his career SR is not anything close to any of those guys, but their demeanor is something that should be followed. I'm pretty sure when GP catches wind that he was smiling/laughing he won't be real pleased about it.
I can see both sides of it. I can see the argument against smiling/laughing on the sidelines. But the reality is, if you've been on the sideline or in a huddle, you'd know there were a bunch of dudes walking up to him telling him he's good, nothing to worry about, keep throwing, etc. because they know he's solid. If he wasn't a trusted leader, he would've been on an island over there. He wasn't. Players were rallying around him. You see anyone in his face telling him otherwise?

The turn overs are a problem. No arguing against that. But he's a kid that smiles. A lot. That's his make up. He's a confident, seemingly happy kid.

Smiling doesn't mean he understands the situation less. It's just how he reacts. Doesn't mean it's not important to him.

netty2424

People are making way too much out of Robinson smiling on the sidelines. People handle adversity in different ways. Denial can be a powerful weapon in sports performance.

That being said, I seem to recall he was with a group of players (and possibly Hill) when he was smiling. How do we know that they weren’t trying to keep him loose and prevent him from burying himself by dwelling on it?

The coaches know if his heart is in it, or not. If there was even a shred of evidence that Robinson isn’t taking this seriously, then I doubt he’d be on the field at all.
Agree 100%.

Rose Bowl

Shawn will be fine. The reality of the situation is that we don’t have enough talent across the board for this team to be anything other than a good team. Qb is a problem right now but to say it’s any worse than the OL or secondary is, IMO, shortsighted. People should remember when we are not very experienced we usually are not that good of team. This is a growing year and we should be better next year.

mc1502

The Ticket was just destroying Robinson a few minutes ago, going through every play he messed up, every turnover. I hadn't realized he turned the ball over two plays in a row. Did he really do that? If he did I'm glad I didn't realize it at the time.

LisaLT

I would like to see more designed run plays for Shawn. That seems to be where he excels. You could also say the overall lack of establishing the run game against UT hurt (DA was MIA pretty much the whole game for one reason or another) and the pressure Shawn was under to "make a play" took over.

UT is far improved from last year and played stellar defense to their credit. I'm not sure Collins would have done any better under the circumstances. I thought I read that GP had said he would like to see Collins get some playing time. Maybe after 7 turnovers we might see a series or two with him this weekend. And not garbage time playing time.

I hope our O line steps up this weekend since it seems like ISU does play relatively decent on defense from the small amount I've observed of them. I'm sure they've seen enough game footage of Robinson to know his vulnerabilities.

Dusty

Exactly, no other reason to have a backup QB outside of injury?? Collins should’ve played a series or two
Collins should have been starting QB from day one. If anyone would bother to go and watch Robinson play in HS he was a runner, not a passer. Even then he was under a 50% completion rate. Cumbie wants a running QB, that is exactly what he has. Someone earlier mentioned Tech and how well they have done with freshmen QB's, the difference is that the Tech QB's were recruited to be smart and throw the ball, not run with it. Robinson is a very good athlete, but IMO, he is an average to below average QB. He is not going to grow into the position any more than KH did. Robinson will have to be managed and relied on to run, not pass. His decision making and reaction time is to slow, that is why is accuracy is off. Simply stated, he's not a QB, very good athlete, yes, QB, NOPE. I am expecting an 8 win season with him as our QB and that is not an acceptable outcome for a team with this much talent.

Eight

The Ticket was just destroying Robinson a few minutes ago, going through every play he messed up, every turnover. I hadn't realized he turned the ball over two plays in a row. Did he really do that? If he did I'm glad I didn't realize it at the time.

who cares what the ticket says or thinks?

Collins should have been starting QB from day one. If anyone would bother to go and watch Robinson play in HS he was a runner, not a passer. Even then he was under a 50% completion rate. Cumbie wants a running QB, that is exactly what he has. Someone earlier mentioned Tech and how well they have done with freshmen QB's, the difference is that the Tech QB's were recruited to be smart and throw the ball, not run with it. Robinson is a very good athlete, but IMO, he is an average to below average QB. He is not going to grow into the position any more than KH did. Robinson will have to be managed and relied on to run, not pass. His decision making and reaction time is to slow, that is why is accuracy is off. Simply stated, he's not a QB, very good athlete, yes, QB, NOPE. I am expecting an 8 win season with him as our QB and that is not an acceptable outcome for a team with this much talent.

Wrong. Too slow not to slow. SR is a good QB who can run and throw dual threat. Give him a chance to learn and play. He will cut out the turnovers. He has made some great throws and deep throws for touch downs.

Eight

where did you get your numbers of robinson because they aren't right, but then again trolls don't care about being right.

you are just chumming for replies so take your crap elsewhere as your efforts aren't acceptable for this board