• The KillerFrogs

Growing Up The Quarterback

I think benching the qb for a series after a pick let’s them know there will be a consequence for the bad action. Also allows the qb and coach to look at the defense from a different perspective and learn something. Handing the qb the starting job and not letting the back up play more can make them complacent.
Maybe I’m just way off base here, but to me, the humiliation of throwing an interception or fumbling and hurting my team’s chance of winning in front of 95,000 fans is a much greater teaching moment and consequence than getting benched for a series or two.

I don’t think you bench somebody to show them there are consequences...losing because of something you did is a far much worse consequence than sitting out a series.

I can see possibly sitting somebody so you can settle them down and allow them to get their emotions back in check. Robinson has shown no outward signs, though, that the moment has been too big for him.

Wexahu

Maybe I’m just way off base here, but to me, the humiliation of throwing an interception or fumbling and hurting my team’s chance of winning in front of 95,000 fans is a much greater teaching moment and consequence than getting benched for a series or two.

I don’t think you bench somebody to show them there are consequences...losing because of something you did is a far much worse consequence than sitting out a series.

I can see possibly sitting somebody so you can settle them down and allow them to get their emotions back in check. Robinson has shown no outward signs, though, that the moment has been too big for him.

That's a good way to look at it. I'd have like to have seen Collins get in there a little more, and a lot earlier, vs Southern and SMU, but not necessarily after a bad play by SR. Just more because I think our backup needs to be prepped more in real game situations and not just mop up time.

Eight

Punished? I fully expected him to struggle a bit at times out of the gate, as most young QB's do, and I think he's going to be a hell of a QB. I also think it's crazy to suggest that Collins should be playing because he's turned it over more than we would've liked.

My comment was just about the Y/A graph, and how silly it was for people to make those "we're going to be so much better at the deep pall/passing game" comments after the Tech game when he completed about 35% of his passes. It takes time to figure everything out, and those people should've tempered their expectations a bit. Everyone needs to have some patience with him. He's our guy.

i wasn't directing my comments to you, but instead the group that have continually taken the position robinson needs to be benched so he understands the consequences of his actions.

Eight

That's a good way to look at it. I'd have like to have seen Collins get in there a little more, and a lot earlier, vs Southern and SMU, but not necessarily after a bad play by SR. Just more because I think our backup needs to be prepped more in real game situations and not just mop up time.

which patterson alluded to after the smu game and people mistook as gary not being happy with robinson's play.

it is a tough choice because every snap in a game is another learning moment for robinson. i wont apply the malcolm gladwell axiom of 10,000 hours to perfecting quarterback play, but anyone who has played and anyone who has coached will tell you that in regards to development and learning game snaps in real situations are critical.

you then have an inexperienced back-up who also would benefit from game snaps so how do you split real game snaps to maximize the growth of your starter and ensure your back-up is getting the chance to develop as well?

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Unfortunately, our QB1 thinks throwing a pick or fumbling is cause for laughing on the sidelines after the bad play--in front of 95,000 fans and a national TV audience. Not sure the "teaching moment" feeling is there.

netty2424

Unfortunately, our QB1 thinks throwing a pick or fumbling is cause for laughing on the sidelines after the bad play--in front of 95,000 fans and a national TV audience. Not sure the "teaching moment" feeling is there.
That doesn't bother me a bit. The kid is always smiling, and I'd much prefer him to keep it light vs crawling under a rock and getting so down on himself he begins to crumble.

There is zero doubt in my mind, he fully understands the impact of those turnovers. Going to the sideline and crying about it doesn't change the result of the play.

Chongo94

I don’t think pulling him for a bit after one turnover is the thing to do, nor after two even. But after 3 or 4 turnovers, that would tell me something is clearly off for that game and perhaps it would be better to try someone else.

FrogLifeYo

I’ve said it before..it’s all about timing. Get a guys attention during the week and let him know he’ll have a short leash if he continues to make mistakes.

Wexahu

That doesn't bother me a bit. The kid is always smiling, and I'd much prefer him to keep it light vs crawling under a rock and getting so down on himself he begins to crumble.

There is zero doubt in my mind, he fully understands the impact of those turnovers. Going to the sideline and crying about it doesn't change the result of the play.

Don't want to make too big a deal out of it, he'll learn, but there's no doubt it's a bad look. The alternative to not smiling doesn't have to be crawling under a rock and getting down on yourself. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, you name them, all the greatest competitors that have played the position......I can't imagine any of them smiling and laughing after throwing a critical interception in a close game. They'd be as pissed off at themselves as can be and they'd be channeling their anger and chomping at the bit to get back in and redeem themselves. And before you tell me, I know that at this stage of his career SR is not anything close to any of those guys, but their demeanor is something that should be followed. I'm pretty sure when GP catches wind that he was smiling/laughing he won't be real pleased about it.

Eight

so throwing a fit is the only way to show one is a competitor or upset about the interception they just threw?

because shawn was smiling he isn't "chomping at the bit" to get back on the field and lead his team back?

maybe it is time we stop projecting how we want these players to react?

i have no problem with shawn's reaction, none whatsoever because at no time did i think he wasn't trying on the field or didn't care about winning.

damn i am tired of reading about how players are supposed to act be it in front of 100,000 people in a stadium, the whole damn world, or they, their team mates, and the staff at practice.

kids don't need to throw helmets, get mad, sulk, hang their heads, or get pissed to be a competitor.

Last edited:

Wexahu

so throwing a fit is the only way to show one is a competitor or upset about the interception they just threw?

because shawn was smiling he isn't "chomping at the bit" to get back on the field and lead his team back?

maybe it is time we stop projecting how we want these players to react?

i have no problem with shawn's reaction, none whatsoever because at no time did i think he was trying on the field or didn't care about winning.

damn i am tired of reading about how players are supposed to act be it in front of 100,000 people in a stadium, the whole damn world, or they, their team mates, and the staff at practice.

kids don't need to throw helmets, get mad, sulk, hang their heads, or get pissed to be a competitor.

No, throwing a fit isn't only alternative to laughing. That's ridiculous.

Let me ask you, had SR walked past GP after that INT with a big grin on his face and laughing about it, what do you think GP's reaction would be? If you think GP wouldn't have been really pissed about it, I think you're nuts. And why would he be pissed, if a kid's reaction to something like that is meaningless?

Again, he'll get it fixed, and I bet it's the last time he reacts that way to a bad mistake in an important game. But he's going to get it fixed for a reason....because reactions to things like that do matter when you are the QB (and supposed leader) of a football team.

jake102

Just seems like all the best do the exact same thing. Ultimately it's whatever, but I'd prefer him get to the sidelines and grab a tablet/telephone and figure out what went wrong

Eight

i can't imagine playing golf with some of you.

damn near every third shot i am shaking my heading and laughing about how in the world could i have just hit that shot.

none of us know what shawn was thinking on the bench, but i am leaning towards the how in the world did i not just see that guy.

as far as his talking with sonny do we know he didn't do it or are people merely projecting he is over there doing that because of the only pictures we saw were that?

Volare

One concern of the interceptions is going back to the SMU game, SR has hit an opposing defensive playing in the numbers 3 weeks in a row. It appears he is not seeing them. I have no other explanation.

Yes, everyone seems to forget that interception, but it was the same damn thing.

Volare

That whole rule worries the [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] outta me. Don't think we are not immune to having some transfer. Including whoever the back up qb is.

My buddy who is an OkSU fan told me that one of their WRs did that yesterday. Said "I'm taking my redshirt" and walked away. Don't know the details.

Wexahu

i can't imagine playing golf with some of you.

damn near every third shot i am shaking my heading and laughing about how in the world could i have just hit that shot.

You're a good poster in my opinion, but that is one of the worst analogies I've seen. I'll just say that I'm sure GP's and Cumbie's opinion about SR laughing and smiling on the sidelines after bad mistakes far more resembles mine than it does yours and leave it at that.

hiphopfroggy

Other than Reagor the receiving core has done nothing, zero separation. Need to sub one of them out with the TE more, that dude is silky. Also, somethings gotta give at LT.